What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turner Snubs Titans

_Johnsy

Referee
He has no integrity. Make him play there to teach him a lesson, an expensve one on the titans part, but a very effective one.

_Johnsy

Referee
Nope, I disagree.

Why pay him a sh*t load to do nothing. make him play in a second rate comp, why not get him to play in the local gc comp, I am sure that would kill him more than getting paid to be an integrity poor asswipe.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
innsaneink said:
One is not "a lot"

What a great comment! Keep in mind dude, when someone says a club let alot of players go like clint greenshields, someone with an IQ of at least 100 will assume that it was more then just clint greenshields. Sorry I didn't make my thread disigned for 12 year olds. Keep me posted on what you are going to read and I'll make things easier for you.

Surandy

Bench
jc155776 said:
I've finished two semesters of Contract Law. Turners f**ked.

And even then as an independent sporting body the NRL can choose not to register a contract if they so wish as per their guidelines and charter which each team agrees to to play in the comp each year.

I take it you have never heard of Ruben Wiki. :sarcasm:

I also have done two semesters of contract law. :p

Doesn't the NRL have rules regarding the requirement of contracts to be lodged within a certain timeframe?

By the way, who on here knows the full details? No-one, that's who.

strewth_mate

Bench
Misty Bee said:
Yeah???? How can you market a contract cheat????

I meant from the point of view that he's in the news... didn't say that it was GOOD publicity, though sarcasm is hard to convey on a forum ;-)s

RainMan

Juniors
_Johnsy said:
I am sure the melbourne board/club have persuaded him to stay, or at the very least not encouraged him to stick to his word.

The extra $100k they 'suddenly' found for him may have had something to do with it.

skeepe

Immortal
cyberdj said:
I was offered a job, I said yes I'd like to take the job. The company then went and got a contract written up and sent through to me. I read the contract, and as I wasn't happy with it, I advised the company I was no longer interested (after trying to negotiate). Was I legally obliged to take the job?

For your example to apply to this situation, you need to add some significant details.

You would have been quoted sitting next to the chairman of the company telling all who would listen that you are excited about working for the company. You would also have been seen and photographed in the corporate uniform of the company, and used in promotions for that company as an example of who they have working for them.

Doesn't seem quite so simple now, does it?

Raider_69

Post Whore
i dont think there is a clear winner in this, should it go to the courts.
I think Turner is in the wrong, but precident with Wiki shows Turner is not without his chance of staying at the storm

innsaneink

Referee
Bring it home Knights said:
What a great comment! Keep in mind dude, when someone says a club let alot of players go like clint greenshields, someone with an IQ of at least 100 will assume that it was more then just clint greenshields. Sorry I didn't make my thread disigned for 12 year olds. Keep me posted on what you are going to read and I'll make things easier for you.

Keep in mind dude, when someone says "lots" then gives "one" example, he/she looks like theyre sprouting crap.

So who else, these "lots of players", other than Greenshields, did they turn away to sign Turner?

cainen

Juniors
cyberdj said:
Standard practice is to negotiate the terms of a contract, once both parties are happy with the terms, the contract is then signed by all parties.
How is sending an email saying 'yeah those terms sound okay, send through the contract to be reviewed and (possibly) signed' suddenly become a legally binding contract.
From my basic knowledge of contract law, a contract requires an offer (which the Titans made), consideration [or promise thereof, which the Titans obviously made (his salary)] and an acceptance (which from the reports Turner or his manager made by email). From the information that is in the public domain so far it seems that a contract has been formed and Turner should fulfill his obligations. These three things are the basis of any contract and it appears that all three are present in Turner's case.

I go into a caryard and ask how much for a car including all 'onroad costs'. I get a price I think is acceptable, I say I'd like to buy it and the salesman says I'll get the paperwork ready. Am I now legally obliged to buy it?
No, because no consideration has been given nor would there be any proof of an acceptance. It would be one man's word against another. In Turner's case there is a written record (the email) of his acceptance.

I'm a big fan of Turner's and I wish his name wasn't dragged through the mud because of this debacle. I highly doubt he has any knowledge of contract law and is only acting upon the advice of others. Others being the Storm.

_Johnsy

Referee
All this whole debacle has shown is,
a) Turner has no integrity,
b) Melbourne and turner are morally void,
c) The coast finally have an administration with back bone and will run the club correctly.
d) Two semester of law/contract law do not qualify you to "provide a legal" opinion this scenario.

I watched LA law the other week, if I talk it up I may sound like a contract law expert, Jeeeesus I might have a crack at this.........(cue loonie tunes theme)

Balmain_Boy

Turner's big problem is that he ACTED as if he was contracted for a fairly long period of time. The court will look at that and it would be fatal I would think.

Balmain_Boy

_Johnsy said:
All this whole debacle has shown is,
a) Turner has no integrity,
b) Melbourne and turner are morally void,
c) The coast finally have an administration with back bone and will run the club correctly.
d) Two semester of law/contract law do not qualify you to "provide a legal" opinion this scenario.

I watched LA law the other week, if I talk it up I may sound like a contract law expert, Jeeeesus I might have a crack at this.........(cue loonie tunes theme)

:lol:

That's actually fairly true.