What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

Frailty

First Grade
The whingers could put their hands in their pockets and get Fox or go to their local and watch the game.

WAAAAHH NOT ENOUGH TV FOR MEEEE. Sickening stuff.

Translation: I'm an out of touch git who couldn't give a f**k about the game, only my broncos. This deal ensures that my teams gets at least 75% of their games on FTA, and that my already financially strong club gets an ARLC-endorsed uneven playing field to make us even richer.

SharkShocked

Bench
Tell that to people in the bush who can't get fox?

I'm sorry but the fox argument is really quite silly. You are making judgements on peoples financial position just because you yourself are able to afford it.

Hell i've got fox and the HD channels, i'm very happy that I can see those games in HD. And the deal benefits not only my club, but my own personal situation.

But I think it's incredibly judgemental to just tell people to 'suck it up' and get foxtel, particularly in areas where they actually can't.

Isn't the ideal situation to be able to deliver the game to the largest audience possible?

Everyone has highlighted already that the biggest win is the first/last rights.

Realistically there should be much more angst directed at the previous deal that was done which has put us in the situation that we are not only struggling financially, but also that this TV deal had no opportunity to deliver anything else but a payday.

I think i've been on record a few times saying that they've negotiated a brilliant deal from a fiscal point of view. It's just disappointing that they had no other option but to do this.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
so same sh!t from Nine but we get more cash for it?

Was there any info on live games to other states or did i miss it?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Correct. Gyngalls big problem seems to be that he has to front up to someone and explain why he has had to pay a lot more for exactly the same thing.

Seems the use of first & last rights by fox to screw over the fans has surprised quite a few people as well.

Werent you saying 6 months ago that the first and last rights would prevent the NRL getting anywhere near a billion dollars?

First Grade
296837-billion-reasons-to-smile.jpg

That 5th bullet point sux arse hard

Frailty

First Grade
so same sh!t from Nine but we get more cash for it?

Was there any info on live games to other states or did i miss it?

As far as I'm aware, they would guarantee it would be viewed interstate - but did not mention whether live, etc. It's assumed the current status quo which is on GEM would continue.

Bretto

Bench
The Broncos accept the grateful thanks of fans from the lesser clubs for our delivering unto you all an increased TV rights deal and subsequent increased grants to your club.

Get real. Friday night games, big turn around, Donkeys suck, refs always favour Brisbane, etc etc.

Moffo

Referee
f**k off why should I have to do that. How about the next generation of kids you doofus...are they going to drop in to their local and grab a pint of milk whilst watching the game? How can one game have their live product plastered over FTA whilst we have to deal with a shit balls deal that is roughly the same amount of spend but only has one live game

Do you not see a fundamental f**king problem with this and the missing logic?

This deal will not assist our game for future generations. 64% of Australian households will only have access to one live game a week.

The ARLC are criminals for accepting these conditions

qldseaeagle96

Juniors
Once again its 3 extra LIVE games which your contingent keeps on forgetting.
Secondly, First/last BID rights are only worth what you put into them and how much you care about money over everything else.
It is thinking long term. Its showing channel 9/fox to go f**k itself and getting the game out to every person, live. Not just for the people who can afford foxtel.
Its showing that the game isnt willing to whore itself out.
All weve done here is more of the same old shit thats been happening for the last decade. The only long term the NRL is thinking about is the one thats passed and ensuring the fans out there have to suffer with more of the same.

fixed.
Its actually a much simplier philosophy here.
How much are you willing to suffer for money? How much of the games progress to you want eroded away for money?
This is about money. Some of us dont feel for a second what was on offer was worth the money given today.
You disagree, thats fine. But dont f**king bullshit on about how this is long term, or a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow under the guise next time we will get a better fairer deal for the fans. 5 years from now we will get back in bed with 9/foxtel because we have shown we lack the stones to stand up for anything.

Hammer, nail BANG

Frailty

First Grade
Less day time games, no increase in live games, no expansion, night time grand final, no control over scheduling, etc.

But it's $1 Billion!!!!

Moffo

Referee
Sunday night games? Hello 5,000 crowds. Who the f**k is going to go to a Sunday night game with work/school the next day

They really are money obsessed f**kwits

DJShaksta

First Grade
If your club is one of the media darlings this is a great deal.
Your club will get the monopoly on FTA games and continue to get increased exposure for sponsors, memberships and merchandise.
If your club is not one of the media darlings you get SFA.

cleary89

Coach
Sunday night games? Hello 5,000 crowds. Who the f**k is going to go to a Sunday night game with work/school the next day

They really are money obsessed f**kwits

Yeh those Monday night games average 5k. Oh wait.

Frailty

First Grade
But it's growing the game... By Foxtel showing 3 games from Toyota Cup, NSW Cup and Schoolboys...

Wait? They already do that, and Schoolboys moves from FTA to Foxtel?

That's a win.

Then we must be allowed to expand? Wait? No expansion?

Then we must be making the game more available? Wait? Same amount of FTA games featuring the same teams?

But it's $1 Billion!!!

gUt

Coach
I've made my position clear on Bronco Night Football over and over Frailty. I watch every game every week and to do so I subscribe to Fox. It doesn't worry me who plays what day or night because I'll watch it anyway. Any sympathy I might have felt for those who wanted more on FTA pretty quickly got blasted away by the hysteria of the overreaction.

age.s

First Grade
lols at all the news haters who love the ARLC. All we've done is put gimps in charge who will let gyngell and Williams get away with what they want

Fmd

Yeah Gyngell really looked (and sounded) like a bloke who'd gotten what he wanted yesterday. :crazy:

Moffo

Referee
Yeh I'm sure the avg crowd on mon night is comparable to other days

FMD

Sunday night is traditionally about preparing for the week ahead for a lot of people. It will be a bloody disaster

Moffo

Referee
Yeah Gyngell really looked (and sounded) like a bloke who'd gotten what he wanted yesterday. :crazy:

Missed the bit where he basically told the NRL and clubs that he will do whatever the f**k he wants?

Fmd

Frailty

First Grade
Yeh I'm sure the avg crowd on mon night is comparable to other days

FMD

Sunday night is traditionally about preparing for the week ahead for a lot of people. It will be a bloody disaster

When I saw Sunday night 6:30... I thought awesome - that looks like the spot for Perth given the time delay...

Then I saw no Expansion under this deal. Great!