What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

The deal with channel 10 was for them to take on all 8 games, show 4 of them live and then they would on sell the rest to foxtel and keep the money.

Whilst the deal with 9 is not perfect for the fans, it gives the code what is desperately needed and that is money. When you have 12 or 13 clubs losing money each year, the focus of this deal was always going to be about the money and some sacrifices to the perfect deal were going to have to be made.

In terms of the hysteria around the broncos getting a Friday night game every week, I think we should save the jumping up and down until we actually see the schedule as I am certain the cowboys and titans are going to want a decent amount of Friday games also.

The best part which everyone seems to be forgetting is that both 9 and foxtel have given up their first and last rights which means next time we go through this all stations will be on the same footing.

Overall I would give this deal a 7.5/10

All true there Saint and I did consider the immediate problems clubs faced but 800m is still a lot of money to fix short term problems. Four FTA games on prime time would sit well with club sponsors however, so there would be more opportunities for clubs to raise money don't you think? I just think it was the better deal to take on short v's long term issues however I'm pleased that clubs can feel more secure now.

Moffo

Referee
Not looking good for us sandgropers. 5 years work up the spout!

Greenberg said rugby league had "more blue sky ahead of it than any other sport" but admitted NRL expansion past the current 16 clubs will not happen under the new agreement.
"In the next five years it is about a national footprint, playing games in new markets and developing new markets rather than adding new teams," he said.
"At the moment almost every club is making a significant loss.
"Adding new teams to that is increasing that volume.
"Let's get the sustainability of our clubs right first, make sure we pay our players appropriately and then let's add to it after that."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-21/nrl-tv-deal-suits-networks-over-viewers/4214002

Every club is making a significant loss? Eh?

Moffo

Referee
Re-reading gyngells quotes...the man is clearly a merkin. You thought having Rupert in charge was bad..now you gyngell, who has no qualms in basically telling fans to go f**k themselves.

Good times ahead :sarcasm:

And Mattiske is a germ. Him and Grant were bullied in to submission by the power brokers at ch nein and fox. They should both hand their badges in....

docbrown

Coach
Roy Masters has picked up on the story but it was Kim Williams at Fox that was forcing down the Fox package prices on the 10 & 7 deals.

I'm no Channel 9 fan but if you want somebody to blame as to why 10 &/or 7 didn't get the rights, Kim Williams is a good target. He also made himself conveniently unavailable yesterday.

firechild

First Grade
Looking at the foxtel site, it's $92/month for the sports package plus $150 installation which equals $1254 over 12 months. That's a lot of money for the average person.

Bretto

Bench
Looking at the foxtel site, it's $92/month for the sports package plus $150 installation which equals $1254 over 12 months. That's a lot of money for the average person.

$92/month? Isn't it like $50/month now? Or was or has been? $92/month seems ridiculous. Ontop of the internet, the phones, etc etc. :?

Doomednow

Bench
Gyngell is being a prick but to me that just says he's being spiteful because he's pissed off about the deal. Obviously was forced to pay more than he wanted, and that's great. After all the attempts to devalued the game they still paid twice as much as before, I bet he's angry haha. This is his way of throwing the toys out. He can talk as much shit as he likes and play Broncos every Friday if he likes, but you can bet he won't be getting the rights next time. We will have much fairer negotiations then.

Ron Swanson

Juniors
Good deal. Sounds like some people just wanted to get rid of Nine rather than seeing the maximum revenue earned for the game.

cleary89

Coach
If you're happy with nein's coverage then it's a great deal. I'm not sure treating the fans like sh1t is smart in the long term that's all.

I live in London and get most games live anyway... but seriously, not happy with 9 but we got double what we got last time for pretty much the same thing. Really looking forward to seeing what the ARLC does with the money.

Moffo

Referee
Just heard Mattiske on the Abc...what a gimp. Saying that ch9 got it because of the legacy they have in terms of producing RL content. f**king amateur hour

The ARLC is scary business

drago brelli

Bench
Brisbane will continue to get 7 days break between most of their comp games. This is a crap deal for the fans but not really about us, it's about money and that's the way the world is.

Bretto

Bench
Hasn't helped them this year. They still slump mid-late season. I guess they must get better ratings on Friday nights from QLD audiences to justify it.