What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

Yeh would be good to link a saving to memberships.

Agreed, Red. I'm a Broncs member and I would happily part with $100 on top of my membership to watch away games without having to get Foxtel.

Could probably be a two way street. While discounts to members are nice, a full price subscriber (say, notionally, $120 pa) could receive a discount of a membership should they subsequently sign up.

OFFSET ALPINE

Juniors
Don't leave FOX SPORTS out of the criticism OR the idea of NEW THREADS like....WHY DOES FOX TREAT RL supporters like MUSHROOMS?
Answer:KIM WILLIAMS (AFL fker) & the moron non-RL PREMIER SPORTS AUSTRALIA staff.
I've heard more content is coming - but only old games i understand.
PREMIER SPORTS (02) 9776 2600

Consider this:
1.The AFL nutcases have their own FOX channel...while NRL provides 73 of the top 100 rated shows on ALL FOX every year.

2.NRL has one hour of NRL ON FOX midweek...
AFL has AFL teams/AFL 360/On the couch/Open Mike (Sheahan) program/AFL (scoreboard??) highlights/AFL circle??...and several more.

AFL Teams (on Thursdays) is a panel of four greats going through every team...all sorts of stats...all ins & outs...and tips from all present on every game...
compared to this NRL ON FOX is a mickey mouse cartoon.
Meantime we pick our teams on Tuesdays...clever.

ON THE COUCH is pure...an articulate elite panel drilling down into every detail of "50 seagulls fighting over a potato chip"...
including specifics of players' form and positioning/moves etc on field and who teams need to draught in & out of squads...coaches' form...umpires...everything.

If you ring PREMIER SPORTS...as i did several times in February...
the clown you grill about a lack of NRL content (I have his name & phone ext) has no interest in NRL but won't admit it - a Kimmy Williams plant & says this:

1.PS dickhead:"do you follow the world game?"...

Offset Alpine:"World game huh?..No SOCCER is as irrelevant as Tony RACITI (Apia-Leichhardt) in Australian sport...no-one cares...two men and a dog...does this offend you ?"

2.OA:"an NRL version of AFL ON THE COUCH...where RL is treated seriously - would be brilliant and would include Brandy Alexander..."

PS dickhead:"no - Rugby League supporters aren't looking for that serious content...it wouldn't rate..."

OA:"are you saying RL fans are not cerebral...open to in-depth tactical nuance...blah..."

PSDH:"yes i am...no attention span like AFL fans and less serious...and no-one on FOX to present themselves as being in-depth & respectable like those ARL pros..."(paraphrase).

OA:"well...this is true of LOZ Daley (the ultimate jibberer) & most of them...
like Ryan deadwood Phelan who has murdered NRL ON FOX since you flicked/demoted WAZ Smith who IS in-depth & does his homework at CLUB sessions...
why not recruit (person X & Y from other media) ?...they are close to Brandy too...." (knowing what the answer would be on at least one of them)

PSDH:"(they X&Y) are probably too hard politically with News Limited...and there's no-one else..."

OA:"well you are referring to them trashing News & Gallop on-air & in print for dudding the game on TV rights,right?These criticisms are factual and obvious fair game...
Time moves on...if you can't shut 'em up on other TV & radio media...more reason to bite the bullet and employ them.."

PSDH one week later:"i will have EXCITING news soon on NRL ON FOX changes - Star recruit...Phelan out of the chair,ok?"

3. OA: "why don't you have an NRL Teams edition..with tips & ins & outs?"

PS dickhead:"oh no they (NRL) pick their teams on Tuesday...it wouldn't work."

OA:"what...so you couldn't do it Thursday with say a Late Mail section from say Tommy Sangster ?"
PSDH:"no it would be too late...irrelevant...old news"
OA:"then stick to Tuesday...or will BACK PAGE get sensitive to NRL but not to ARL ?...blah..."

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
If Telstra offer the same as they did for afl can the Arlc make more than $150mill plus costs by delivering its own subscription service online?

At $100 for the season it would need 300,000 subscribers+ a year to make it worth it.

You are forgetting the A word bro...

Who sells the ads that pop up whilst watching the game on your mobile...

I'm gonna guess Telstra... and they aint free..

If the rights are 30 mil a year, they expect to get 15Mil min from Adverts, trust me

El Diablo

Post Whore
i couldn't give a rats about having a dedicated channel

the Fox Sports boss said something like they would have three new magazine shows next year

OFFSET ALPINE

Juniors
Here's a tip offset. If you want people to read your posts make them concise!

Point taken RED...but as you can see i'm brand new with this.
Will clean up my act.
CONCISE being important...and you've reminded me.
A lot of time & facts to make up...finding it hard to not splurge info.
Try & be patient & read this stuff.
RL fans are the MUSHROOMS & poor rels of sport...kept in the dark & fed bullshit.

OFFSET ALPINE

Juniors
i couldn't give a rats about having a dedicated channel

the Fox Sports boss said something like they would have three new magazine shows next year

Read the piece.I didn't ask for a dedicated wank Channel...just a quality midweek program for FOX's greatest asset...NRL subscribers.

OFFSET ALPINE

Juniors
Anyone know how the 3:30pm Sat arvo games rated this season?

Lets hope they went well...would presume better than a 9.30 replay.
The 13 y old Noon to 5pm Saturday blackout of NRL on TV and ABC Radio is a crime of neglect by these News Ltd NRL goons.
Handing all Saturday ratings to AFL is an indictable offence.

Last edited:

OFFSET ALPINE

Juniors
Point taken RED...but as you can see i'm brand new with this.
Will clean up my act.
CONCISE being important...and you've reminded me.
A lot of time & facts to make up...finding it hard to not splurge info.
Try & be patient & read this stuff.
RL fans are the MUSHROOMS & poor rels of sport...kept in the dark & fed bullshit.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-up-to-125b-20120828-24yv7.html#ixzz24qx2TLZG
Add-ons set to take NRL rights price up to $1.25b

Date August 29, 2012
Brad Walter

Chief Rugby League Writer

THE ARL Commission is tipped to match the AFL's $1.25 billion media rights deal once it completes a broadcast agreement in New Zealand and sells the online and mobile rights.
The Herald has been told those deals may include a ''season-pass'' arrangement similar to the deal announced yesterday by the National Basketball League that will enable fans to subscribe to matches on a new website.
Other sports, including NBA, NFL, MLB and the AFL, sell similar packages to allow fans to watch either their team or all matches online.
''Watch this space, because I think that is a real opportunity going forward,'' a source close the negotiations said. ''That is where this deal could be even better than it already looks. There is actually a fair bit to go.''
Advertisement
The broadcast deal announced last week was worth $1.025 billion, with Channel Nine contributing $475 million for three free-to-air matches per week and Fox Sports paying $550 million for five games on pay TV. Fox Sports is also able to offer Foxtel subscribers the ability to watch games on personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
However, the ARL Commission is negotiating to sell the online and mobile rights with a number of companies, including Telstra, which paid the AFL $153 million for those rights.
Former AFL commissioner Graeme Samuel, who was a consultant to the ARLC in the broadcast deal, said there were great opportunities for the game in those areas.
''There are so many opportunities opening up there with new technology,'' Samuel told the Herald. ''I don't think it necessarily means the traditional participants in this area are going to be the ones going forward.
''There are just so many parties who are there and so many different opportunities.''
Samuel said the ARLC negotiating team had done a good job and praised the interim chief executive, Shane Mattiske.
''It got to a really good outcome in the end but the team worked so well together,'' he said. ''We sat around the table and we would toss up ideas. It was so constructive.
''I think the outcome that they got was the very best deal the league could have done. I think it is fair to say that the league has done a very good deal and they should have been delighted.''

Sack John Grant!!!

#codeincrisis

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The Herald has been told those deals may include a ''season-pass'' arrangement similar to the deal announced yesterday by the National Basketball League that will enable fans to subscribe to matches on a new website.

YES!!

Please be available in HD and on mobile devices!

Awesome news on the Fox Sports app being legit too!

Let's see how it pans out. I'm confident they'll pull out something good.

I hope to God they f**k Telstra out of their money like they've been f**king us these past few years.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Live streaming season pass?

tumblr_m8lqlwrrfE1r4zff2o2_500.jpg

ARLC have done so well to keep streaming rights in the tv deal.