What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Well, I can't afford Foxtel unless I want to give up on other hobbies and I hate the delayed games so it looks like unless Manly are playing, I won't be watching anything but the occasional Friday night game. Shame we can't get coverage that is similar to what the AFL gets but I guess the NRL is looking at something more along the lines of Super 15 where the only people that follow it are those that are extremely passionate about the game. I always have been but the more it gets out of reach, the more I lose interest.

This is 100% spot on. +1

THE CHAMP

First Grade
It is a crap deal. The IOC agreeing to delayed footy at all is a massive failure. The FTA aspect of the game hasn't improved at all. We are still stuck with channel 9 who do nothing but shit on fans of the NRL. The only good things coming from the deal are the fixed scheduling for the first 20 rounds and the $1 billion. The 2 Friday night games will also mean the Broncos will be on Friday night almost every week which is shit. As a fan of the Broncos I would love to go to Sunday games or Saturday night games ahead of a Friday night fixture.

I agree as a Broncos supporter i would like less friday night games. I stopped buying a season ticket because they are such a pain in the arse to get to and from. People keep putting the boot into the Broncos on here as if they make up the draw! This club still outdraws any other side even though they are live on FTA most Fridays. Do the people on here bitching about their sides lack of Friday night coverage realise what effect live FTA games will have on their teams attendances?

THE CHAMP

First Grade
$92 a month according to foxtel.

I'd rather pay my house off faster than spend $1104 a year on foxtel. It's also a lot of money for some people, keeping in mind that RL has traditionally been the game of the working class.

Another beaut call. Foxtel can go and get f**ked!
I get my exercise walking down to the pub and watching it there.
Will never have it in my home its a complete rip off and people need to realise if they cancel their subscriptions they would be forced to drop the price. Look what happend to basketball in this country when they sold out to Fox! Soccer is heading in the same direction.

Rosetta

Juniors
Wonder how many Fox subscriptions they'd lose if that came about?

Quite a few, mine being one of them.

I assume Fox and Nine would receive a cut from online subscriptions as it will be their cameras providing the footage. It has the potential to be a massive winner for everyone tbh.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...cept-shield-in-tigers-den-20120830-253cg.html

Ten off the mark

Sin Bin has been told that reports Channel Ten offered $800 million for four games per season over five years are incorrect but even if the money was close to that figure the ARLC may not have received as much overall as the $1.025 billion that Channel Nine and Fox Sports paid. Ten's offer was for matches on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights and the ARLC would have struggled to sell matches in other less appealing timeslots - particularly to Fox Sports, who use Super Saturday and Monday Night Football to sell pay TV subscriptions. It was also thought that clubs would be opposed to a 6.30pm kick-off each Sunday, as Ten had proposed.

So 4 games in prime time is worth close to $800m, but the 4 others weren't worth $225m (2 of which (Sat & Sun) could have been lead-ins to the news, hence worth paying for)??

Some of the reporting on these deals has been unbelieveable. The contradictory articles around the changes gambling revenue in the last few days says it all. Some of these reporters are simply guessing and have no more idea than half the guys on this forum.

Last edited:
WTF are you on about?

The article you posted said that Ten's bid for 4 games was close to, but not quite $800m, but the NRL wouldn't have matched the overall $1.025b they took after selling the ramining 4 games.

So the "journalist" is saying that the remaining 4 games wouldn't have generated the difference between $1.025b and Ten's bid of "close to $800m", which is $225m.

(Sorry, just saw that I'd previously wrote $225k, not $225m).

carlosthedwarf

First Grade

Pretty much what we expected here after main deal was announced. Ten doomed themselves this bid as Fox wanted two exclusive nights. I wonder if Ten had let Fox have Saturday nights in exchange for two Sunday games (3:30pm/6:30pm) they would have changed their mind? I would think for Ten Friday/Sunday and Monday were the key parts of the deal.

I do find it interesting that "clubs would be opposed to a 6.30pm kick-off each Sunday, as Ten had proposed" but they'll still do it 13 times a year for Fox Sports.

Frailty

First Grade
It was also thought that clubs would be opposed to a 6.30pm kick-off each Sunday, as Ten had proposed.

But they weren't opposed to 13 of them during the year? I see....

Canucks

Juniors
I find it hard to believe that ten would have paid 800m for 4 live games, how on earth could they have made money on that??? 7 paid 450m for 4 live AFL games, I just dont understand... I think the reporting is wrong...

You could have sold a Thursday night and Sunday night to another network for tonnes, both prime time

Tiger-Sean

Juniors
I am excited about the prospect of the streaming service. I really hope they provide a good service.
I can't believe 9 and fox would agree to this surely they would lose a lot of viewers. Especially 9's delayed games and fox would have to lose a decent amount of subscriptions.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
I find it hard to believe that ten would have paid 800m for 4 live games, how on earth could they have made money on that??? 7 paid 450m for 4 live AFL games, I just dont understand... I think the reporting is wrong...

You could have sold a Thursday night and Sunday night to another network for tonnes, both prime time

I'm assuming that they had Origin/Test rights in there too which would have made sense. They would have had post/pre game shows to make up some ad revenue.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Wow.. season pass, that's awesome.

interesting to see what restrictions are on a rugby league season pass

eg - this from the NBA website :

What are Black outs?
All nationally televised games will always be blacked out. TNT/NBAtv/ESPN/ABC, etc… have the exclusive rights to those games. Additionally, games broadcast in your local area are blacked out as well. Please click on the following link for more details: http://leaguepasssupport.nba.com/link/portal/7801/7801/Article/143/-What-are-blackouts

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
the NRL said there are no restrictions on what they could stream unlike atm when it can only be watched live if you're not in Aus

Latest posts