What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

undertaker

Coach
They should give Tim Gilbert, Michael Slater, and Sutcliffe their marching papers.

What about Weidler and Hadley? And what did Sutcliffe do to you that rubbed you up the wrong way?:? Doesn't the male model from Mudgee have certified legend status at Ch9?

El Diablo

Post Whore
If they go under and the NRL "take their business elsewhere" they'll be 33% less FTA competition. It'll be a much worse deal (as will the AFLs next one).

I said at the time and I stand by it, I would have taken 800m from Ten for 4 live FTA games.

So would have I BunniesMan, if that was what they offered.

Unfortunately they didn't offer that.

800m for all of the games, with a promise to show 4 on FTA nationwide and live and to onsell the rest.

And while we would have gotten about 200 million less in cash than we ended up getting I see live Rugby League as an advertisement.

The 3 extra live games on FTA we would have got every week for 5 years are worth more than 200 million in my opinion.

it has been reported on radio and in the SMH that $800 million is incorrect

Fox were also unwilling to buy the remaining games as they were in dud slots

It's disappointing that 10 didn't get the rights but their deal was compromised the minute Fox abandoned ship. Fox became more concerned with protecting what they had rather than simulcast and managed to get 9 to do more heavy lifting. It's just the nature of the process. It was also speculated by the FIN that 10's deal also covered internet and mobile rights which they wanted in order to boost their new social media arm - so the NRL would have been knocked out of the current round of negotiations.

When you add all of that up and then you think of all the people and organisations in rugby league complaining about a lack of funding for the past 15 years, it makes sound logical sense why they went with 9 & Foxtel.

With $925 million cash in the bank and further $$$ from the naming rights, mobile rights, internet rights and New Zealand rights, it was the right move needed for the current situation.

Bunniesderp is worse than Moffo http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/bus...to-loss-amid-soft-ratings-20121018-27sho.html

Quidgybo

Bench
So are we still getting the $90m before 2013 ??

The $90m payment is due prior to the start of the 2013 season, not 2013 itself. $30m of that was paid this week. Due to the resolution Nine has reached with its creditors, there seems no reason to doubt the agreement reached for the $90m up front payment will be honoured.

Leigh.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Bunniesderp is worse than Moffo

When I want insightful industry analysis then I'll talk to people in the industry.

When I want the delusional negative rantings of a make-believe police officer then I'll talk to Bunniesman.

I dont like your chances.

So far, common sense, pragmatism, facts and the actual successful completion of the rights doesnt seem to have worked on them.

Sadly you're right but fortunately it's just talk from a confused/uninformed/trolling few on an internet forum and nothing more meaningful than that.

Mr Saab

Referee
What about Weidler and Hadley? And what did Sutcliffe do to you that rubbed you up the wrong way?:? Doesn't the male model from Mudgee have certified legend status at Ch9?

I dont like him. He is clueless when it comes to league. Cougar Cronk and his Rothmans medal.
Telling the QLD fans to go easy on NSW players when he was the MC of game three this yr.
His time, like Ray Warren's time has come. Time for retirement

Brutus

Referee
I dont like him. He is clueless when it comes to league. Cougar Cronk and his Rothmans medal.
Telling the QLD fans to go easy on NSW players when he was the MC of game three this yr.
His time, like Ray Warren's time has come. Time for retirement

Couldn't agree more.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I wasn't in the country when the deal was announced so forgive my ignorance. Was there a guarantee from 9 to show games on Gem in Vic, WA, Tas etc.... Also can we expect all FTA storm games to be shown on 9 Victoria live and in full?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wasn't in the country when the deal was announced so forgive my ignorance. Was there a guarantee from 9 to show games on Gem in Vic, WA, Tas etc.... Also can we expect all FTA storm games to be shown on 9 Victoria live and in full?

Don't be daft. Growth of the game was the very least concern of anyone involved.

applesauce

Bench
Just watched the CH9 National 5pm News.

No wonder they can win the ratings in a variety of timeslots.

They LEAD with the GOLD COAST 600 and showed the last half of the last lap in FULL no commentary over the top from them only the CH7 bloke commentating. They said and "Here is last lap uninterrupted" it wasn't even exciting except for the first 5secs when 1st and 2nd were side by side going down the back straight. The next 30secs was just the guy who won it in front by a car length.

Bathurst coverage like this I could understand but the Gold Coast 600???? And to just let the CH7 commentary team play out through the whole thing is beyond a joke.

I know the union game was shithouse with no tries scored but don't they have the rights. It was brushed over in 20secs and the 3rd story...

Last edited:
Just saw an add already on fox sports news channel for the all stars game in Feb. Good to see nice and early marketing. Hopefully a sign of things to come with the new TV deals

LJC

Juniors
The RL test last Saturday nite in Townsville had double the TV ratings compared to the ("gripping"-code for extremely boring) RU test in Brisbane on Saturday nite.

Considering the RU players do about a quarter of the work of RL players thats probably a good result for the RU marketing people. To think that a cultural dance(Haka) was considered the highlight of the "test" at Suncorp just shows where RU is and this "sport" probably deserves less acclaim than what it is receiving!

Thank God I had the A League soccer to watch!

Latest posts