What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

Diesel

Referee
Anyone know (as I haven't read the other pages) if the NRL is going in house for the online live streaming. I have young kids and I always miss the 2nd 1/2 of he Sunday delayed game so if I can watch it live online and give Channel 9 the big FU I'll sign up now

ed313909

Juniors
OK. So all in all what is the rights deal worth in total now (inc NZ and Radio and internet and whatever else)? How does it stack up with AFL (apples for apples)?

taipan

Referee
OK. So all in all what is the rights deal worth in total now (inc NZ and Radio and internet and whatever else)? How does it stack up with AFL (apples for apples)?

No announcement yet of the sky NZ and internet deals.Still work in progress I believe.

Smiley

Bench
If anyone has the time I'd recommend listening to this podcast with Patrick Delany (CEO Fox Sports).

http://www.mediaweekpodcasts.com/

It focuses around all the sports tv rights (A-League, NRL & AFL).

Talks about what they have planned for the NRL coverage next year (sharing talent with nine).

He states that they paid relatively the same for the NRL & AFL despite only having 5 NRL games. Said they could do an NRL channel but won't because the purpose of the AFL channel was to drive subscriptions in the southern states.

Rosetta

Juniors
Outfoxed by $30m Nine deal

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/outfoxed-by-30m-nine-deal/story-e6frexnr-1226527288392

CHANNEL 9 has given the NRL an upfront payment of $30 million as part of a secret deal to secure an extra Thursday night game next season.

The scheduling change has angered management at Fox Sports because it was not part of the original short-form broadcasting contract all parties agreed to in August.

Pay TV executives were not briefed or consulted on the changes and are concerned about "viewer fatigue" by the time their Saturday double-headers are broadcast.

The original contract was for Channel 9 to cover three Thursday night matches.

The rest of its games were to be Friday night double-headers and delayed Sunday afternoon telecasts.

While the draw was being finalised last month, the NRL decided to offer Nine the extra Thursday night in return for an immediate $30 million cash payment.

It allowed the independent commission to pay the 16 clubs $500,000 grants that had been promised but not delivered.

The Daily Telegraph understands Fox Sports is also in dispute with the NRL over digital rights.

A deal reached in the short-form heads of agreement about content on mobile devices is creating delays in finalising the deal.Fox Sports boss Patrick Delany has been in regular contact with interim NRL chief executive Shane Mattiske about the issues. Neither could be contacted last night.

It is unclear if Fox Sports is negotiating for compensation.

NRL sources confirmed last night that the long-term broadcasting contract still hadn't been signed.

Lawyers from Nine, Fox Sports and the NRL hope to have it finalised by Christmas

"The Fox Sports issue is not a deal breaker," said one source," but it needs to be sorted before the contract is done.

Explains why we've heard SFA in relation to media rights, I remember Mattiske was boasting about how they managed to separate online and mobile rights and could do as they please with them - it sounded odd at the time as it left Nine and Fox Sports badly exposed to online live streaming if that was indeed true - sounds like the lawyers are now battling over this.

taipan

Referee
What I like about it,the code under the Commission can tell News to go jump.This deal would not have happened under the joint ARL/News partnership.
News will come on board ,they still need rugby league or they are pretty well shredded.

taipan

Referee
Further the current Tv deal $1.025bn
plus min $75m(as per todays Australian newspaper. for digital c/f $1.1bn
plus Sky NZ amd we are getting close to the $1.2bn mark.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
The FIN yesterday reported they were about to ink a deal with Telstra for $75 million over 5 years.

Telstra would not be allowed to stream games online with that though according to the article so that's why they aren't paying the same as they did for AFL.

Seems the NRL want to have more control over online streaming according to the article.

applesauce

Bench
The FIN yesterday reported they were about to ink a deal with Telstra for $75 million over 5 years.

Telstra would not be allowed to stream games online with that though according to the article so that's why they aren't paying the same as they did for AFL.

Seems the NRL want to have more control over online streaming according to the article.

That would be amazing if true to a) still get that much and b) have control of online streaming with the ability to sell directly to the consumer.

The only downside would be if that figure included naming rights.

El Diablo

Post Whore
That would be amazing if true to a) still get that much and b) have control of online streaming with the ability to sell directly to the consumer.

The only downside would be if that figure included naming rights.

Nope

The article mentions naming rights are still up for grabs

El Diablo

Post Whore
It's now updated and free on their site

http://www.afr.com/p/national/telstra_to_sign_arl_digital_rights_FUDX31kPFMz8pRLxklpovK

Telstra to sign $75m ARL digital rights deal

JOHN STENSHOLT AND JOHN MCDULING

Telstra is set to sign a $75 million major sponsorship and digital rights agreement with the Australian Rugby League Commission as early as Wednesday – the latest deal in its push for more sports rights.

The $15 million annual deal means Telstra continues as major sponsor for the National Rugby League competition, extending the six-year, $90 million deal it signed in 2007.

Although the new deal will have the same annual value as the previous agreement, Telstra will now have rights to broadcast NRL matches live via handsets, as well as at least some of the digital rights for the three weekly matches telecast by the Nine Network. It previously held all the NRL digital rights.

Fox Sports, which has rights for the other five NRL matches every week, gained the IPTV and tablet rights for the matches it will broadcast when the ARLC signed its five-year, $1.05 billion agreement with Fox and Nine in August.

That agreement allows Fox Sports to telecast its NRL matches via the new Foxtel Go tablet app, over which is also broadcasts most A-League soccer matches. Telstra has the digital rights, including mobile handset, internet and tablet rights to show AFL matches under the terms of its five-year, $150 million agreement signed last year.

The ARLC still has to finalise its Sydney radio rights agreement, which are likely to be awarded to John Singleton’s Macquarie Radio Network, which owns incumbent broadcaster 2GB and Southern Cross Media, and its New Zealand broadcast rights.

The NRL is also yet to finalise its new collective bargaining agreement with its players and the amount each club will pay the players under the league’s salary cap. NRL chairman John Grant has held a series of meetings with players in recent days, although it is understood an agreement is not close to being finalised.

The Australian Financial Review

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
So Telstra are paying the same per annum as last deal except they gave up the naming rights?

With Telstra getting to stream the three C9 matches and Foxtel the five FS matches, does this mean that there won't be an ARL controlled online streaming service or am I just reading it wrong?

applesauce

Bench
So Telstra are paying the same per annum as last deal except they gave up the naming rights?

With Telstra getting to stream the three C9 matches and Foxtel the five FS matches, does this mean that there won't be an ARL controlled online streaming service or am I just reading it wrong?

I didn't read that. :?

The $15 million annual deal means Telstra continues as major sponsor for the National Rugby League competition,

Piss poor deal if that is the case.

Diesel

Referee
I was expecting something better than this, ARLC controlled internet rights, but not the same deal. It seems radio rights are going to continue with that same crap dished up by the Continous Call Team. Why not sell radio rights cheap by allowing as many networks that was to broadcast the matches. We got screwed with TV coverage not Internet and radio. So much for the game spreading its wings and allowing more people to have access to it.

Latest posts