What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

El Diablo

Post Whore
So Telstra are paying the same per annum as last deal except they gave up the naming rights?

With Telstra getting to stream the three C9 matches and Foxtel the five FS matches, does this mean that there won't be an ARL controlled online streaming service or am I just reading it wrong?

You're reading it wrong

applesauce

Bench
So we have kept a portion of our internet rights to be used in house by the looks of it.

With Telstra keeping naming rights and getting mobile rights (plus some access to CH9 games for internet streaming) for $75million ($15/yr x5yrs).

TV/internet rights = $1.125Billion without Radio, NZ TV rights or potential income from in house Internet streaming. Should piss past the AFL's figure.

That FIN article has been updated since El diablo posted it

Telstra to sign $100m NRL digital rights deal

PUBLISHED: 11 Dec 2012 17:35:00 | UPDATED: 11 Dec 2012 20:44:29

John Stensholt and John McDuling

Telstra is set to sign a sponsorship and digital rights agreement worth over $100 million with the Australian Rugby League Commission as early as Wednesday – the latest deal in its push for more sports rights.

It reads to me that the NRL has retained most of the online streaming.

Telstra get live handset broadcasts + the 3 channel nine games.
Foxtel get tablet broadcasting for their games but only for existing fox sports customers. ( pretty sure this is not an exclusive tablet deal)

And the NRL seemingly get the rest.

Which I presume includes,

Tablet rights ( Possibly for all games , maybe just for the fox games?)
Online streaming of the fox sports games. ( possibly all games as the wording suggested Telstra only get 'some' of the online rights for channel nine games)

So if that's the case the NRL look likely to be setting up some kind of online streaming service.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Won't even get $700 million.

7 & 10 aren't bidding.

Telstra aren't going to pay more than what they are now.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
So it states IPTV is part of the deal yet no mention of it anywhere in the announcement, 5 live/week via IPTV on nrl.com and I'll probably get rid of Foxtel.

Can't imagine Foxtel are happy with this. Will be interesting to see how it's accessed.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Won't even get $700 million.

7 & 10 aren't bidding.

Telstra aren't going to pay more than what they are now.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Where has this AFL troll gone? :lol:

It's been a long night but the verdict is in. At least The early verdict that is. I can let you guys know what has happened so far and what will be made public soon, most likely this coming Monday and I thought this thread would be the place to do it as its where I broke the news last time around.

Well it's tremendous news for the NRL!!! I am very happy to let you know that the final bids are more or less in and Foxtel is prepared to offer almost double it's previous deal and will bid as much as $80mil a season in a 5 year deal, meanwhile channel 9 has increased it offer by as much as 50% and wil bid around $60mil a season!

This means a possible offer of $700 mil for 5 years plus the chance of up to another $100mil for mobile and Internet rights meaning a possible $800million over 5 years.

As I said great news for league and a better result than anyone could have realistically expected and you never know 10 and 7 might just add a few more mil a year if they chase SOO as is being talked about.

Fantastic stuff!!!

undertaker

Coach
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...at-george-bailey/story-e6frg7rx-1226555987436

WITHOUT the Nine Network's heavy financial commitment to Australian cricket, George Bailey might find himself "flipping burgers" for a living. That's the view of Nine's executive producer of cricket Brad McNamara, who sent down a bouncer of his own today following Bailey's attack on Nine a week earlier.
Stand-in skipper Bailey will hand back the captaincy to Michael Clarke for Friday's third one-day international against Sri Lanka at the Gabba.
Australia's selectors chose to rest Clarke, David Warner and Matthew Wade from the opening two games, prompting criticism from Nine's director of sport Steve Crawley.
Bailey hit back on the eve of last Friday's opening game in Melbourne by accusing Nine of making a tactical move to try to talk down one-day cricket during TV-rights negotiations.
Crawley expressed concerns over the Warner's non-selection.
“Nowhere has Channel Nine ever talked the one-day game down, nowhere have we ever said this is a 'B team',” McNamara told Sky Sports Radio.
“It's rubbish and George should stick to playing cricket and leave (television) rights to the people who know what they're talking about.
“I reckon he's got his hands full as it is.
“He needs to concentrate on staying in the side.
“And he needs to understand where his money's coming from.
“Without the TV rights deal, George is probably working in a coalmine or flipping burgers at McDonald's.”
McNamara's comment about Bailey's battle to stay in the side is a bizarre statement. The 30-year-old Tasmanian is averaging 57.50 in the Sri Lanka series after scores of 89 and 26 and has a career average of 42.76 in 15 matches.
McNamara says Nine's ratings have been good for the first two matches in a five-game series that stands at 1-1.
“All this talk about the death of one-day cricket, it's not coming from us,” McNamara said.
“Given we were lacking star quality, we were very happy with those figures.”

Referring specifically to the part in bold, it wouldn't surprise me if Ch9 is trying to sabotage the ODI tournament to get the rights at a lower value given that they did this to the NRL for so many years, as well as the fact that the value of the next FTA cricket rights will be much higher than the current deal

typicalfan

Coach
I wonder whether cricket will return serve when the Ashes start up. This is just like Rugby League here where Channel 9 come across as the reason for existence, where would Channel 9 be without Cricket or Rugby League...probably bankrupt with no one caring or being like Channel 10 being a complete minor in the FTA game.

It is such a shortsighted and ignorant comment by Ch9 and it is that sort of attitude that is why people resent it so much, it is the no live Rugby League into Melbourne style attitude they had for so long.

Diesel

Referee
It's the typical shit they tried on the NRL. Lets hope the next rights should rely put 9 on its ass with the cash the game has now and Internet is a other option as well at FTA.

9 would've f**ked if RL and Cricket ditched them within 12 months. Oh we'll only 58 months to wait

Diesel

Referee
http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/le...ew-tv-deal-in-new-zealand-20130125-2dc5j.html

THE New Zealand broadcast rights are set to be the last piece of a $1.2 billion financial puzzle left to be solved when new NRL chief executive Dave Smith starts work next week, with most players understood to have voted for a new collective bargaining agreement.
Since Smith's appointment in November, the ARL Commission has followed up on the record $1.025 billion free-to-air and pay TV rights agreement with Channel Nine and Fox Sports by negotiating long-term online, radio and naming rights deals, and a five-year agreement with players.
The five-year sponsorship and online rights agreements with Telstra, which are believed to be worth more than $150 million, were announced on December 12, while details of the radio rights deal with 2GB and Triple M are still being finalised. The bargaining agreement, which will mean the salary cap increases to $5.8 million this season, is also yet to be signed by the NRL and Rugby League Players' Association but it is understood most players have endorsed it.

While the RLPA was still waiting earlier this week for players from five clubs, including the Warriors, to cast their votes, Fairfax Media was told that barring a dramatic turn there was already enough players in support to ensure the CBA was accepted.
However, the NRL may be forced to start the season without a new television deal in New Zealand as negotiations with Sky NZ drag on. Sky NZ chief executive John Fellet indicated he was confident of retaining the rights but Fairfax Media understands the NRL is considering a deal with a free-to-air broadcaster.
''As far as I know we are still negotiating and we have got the highest bid on the table,'' Fellet said. ''Last year we did the deal two days before the season. It is not uncommon for it to go four weeks into the season.''
It is understood Sky NZ paid $14 million to broadcast NRL matches and all Warriors under 20s games and officials believe the rights are worth more - given the Australian deal has doubled in value. In addition, the return of Kiwi star Sonny Bill Williams to the NRL this season is considered a major drawcard and it has been suggested that his presence increases the value of the New Zealand television rights by $1 million.
However, without another bidder in New Zealand the NRL has little leverage to gain an increased deal and Fairfax has been told an alternative being considered was to sell the rights to a free-to-air network. By doing so, the NRL may not secure any more money from television in New Zealand but the greater exposure would significantly benefit the game across the Tasman.
The NRL interim chief executive, Shane Mattiske, hoped all broadcast deals would be finalised by the start of the season, which kicks off with Williams's Roosters hosting South Sydney on March 7. ''We still have a strong focus on having our New Zealand television and new media arrangements resolved before the start of the season,'' Mattiske said. ''It and the finalisation of our radio contracts will complete the broadcast negotiations.''
Smith officially starts work next Friday, February 1, but he is understood to have been a regular visitor to Rugby League Central in recent weeks to familiarise himself with the issues in the game.

Diesel

Referee
I agree, it needs to be on FTA to get a leg up over Union. Even if they show 2 games a week plus a Warriors game and maybe a U20 match at a decent time they'll be into a winner

Latest posts