What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

Rosetta

Juniors
that's only for reach

No, the reach figure is generated from watching 1 or more continuous minute(s) of a program.

I was under the impression that FOX boxes had the capacity to track ratings... Thought FOX numbers were legit in relation to actual veiwers.

You are correct.

4 mins of a 30 minute block is watched you are counted as a viewer by Foxtel, just under 7 mins for a one hour block.

The 30% increase in ratings are not all new eyeballs as the Crickey article would like to indicate, there's a lot of duplication and a lot channel surfers who are just checking the score but accumulate enough time on the channel to count as a genuine viewer.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Last edited:

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
So a new member of the forum with less than 20 posts decides to post a "AFL beats Rugby League" article in the NRL forum...

I smell a big footy troll. Welcome and I'll see you in the Fight Club soon enough.

LRC69

Juniors
So a new member of the forum with less than 20 posts decides to post a "AFL beats Rugby League" article in the NRL forum...

I smell a big footy troll. Welcome and I'll see you in the Fight Club soon enough.

If you're talking about my post which was shifted...

I'm a die hard league person, been a member for around 10 years but somehow lost my original name. I don't post a lot however but like to read and chime in occasionally.

I posted it out of curiosity on how they get their figures which have had some good responses such as the minute per block rating figures etc.

Im also surprised at how they can get a 30% increase in one year and its obviously come down to the way they count not actually a real figure..

This article needs to be scrutinised by some of the more informed members here.

Crikey is generally a good source of information and counters a lot of the right wing crap the tele dishes out. Take it for what it is..just another media outlet with another misguided article.

Edwahu

Bench
Well its only claiming a 30% increase for "some games" and they had a massive one on Friday night. I'd say the 30% is pretty much just that game, and it could just be a better fixture this time. Most of the others seem pretty much similar to what they always got.

El Diablo

Post Whore
If you're talking about my post which was shifted...

I'm a die hard league person, been a member for around 10 years but somehow lost my original name. I don't post a lot however but like to read and chime in occasionally.

I posted it out of curiosity on how they get their figures which have had some good responses such as the minute per block rating figures etc.

Im also surprised at how they can get a 30% increase in one year and its obviously come down to the way they count not actually a real figure..

This article needs to be scrutinised by some of the more informed members here.

Crikey is generally a good source of information and counters a lot of the right wing crap the tele dishes out. Take it for what it is..just another media outlet with another misguided article.
not sure how accurate all the figures are seeing the article mentions the regionals are coded funny

also states the Friday AFL game on Fox got 451k which is incorrect as it got 417k http://www.astra.org.au/ArticleDocuments/116/ASTRAWeek36.6.pdf.aspx

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I love the game as much as anyone,

But we have to admit, we got screwed in the delivery of the game to the fans.

The money is great, excellent work.

The coverage they agreed to is crap,

And to say that Nine refused simulcast, 6 months after they offered it to the AFL, is laughable.

The refusal was based on amateur negotiations.

What did John Grant say "Hey gynge wanna simulcast with Fox"

Gynge "Ah No"

Grant "Ok sweet"

I'm sorry but for the AFL to have a dedicated 24 x 7 channel and every game simulcast v the shit we are going to get dished up , is a joke.

Hope they spend the money well, because we are fighting with one hand behind our back in the family rooms of australia

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
To be fair the biggest priority was to get cash into the game.

Besides there's still the possibility of some kind of streaming service being offered to fans.

firechild

First Grade
To be fair the biggest priority was to get cash into the game.

Besides there's still the possibility of some kind of streaming service being offered to fans.

But still looking likely to be sold to Telstra which will make the new deal overall even worse than the current one on all aspects apart from money. Considering we get not change to the way the game is telecast but day games are slowly being removed from the menu. The one thing that the AFL still has is plenty of 2pm games for families.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I agree cash was 100% the thing we needed...

But if the ARLC was a bit more confident they could of held their ground on a few issues.

I know it takes nerve,but I am 100% sure Nine would of blinked if we insisted on simulcasts.

If we said it was a absolute deal breaker, Gynge would of caved... and the fact that Browne offered to the AFL, shows it could of been done.

The disturbing thing that i recently read from the guy from LEK, and im paraphrasing, is

The commission were very surprised when I showed them the kind of ratings numbers that NRL had been getting over the past couple of years.

The fact that this rag tag team of commissioners were put together and had no idea of the kind of TV numbers the NRL had done in the past, is very concerning. very concerning.

LRC69

Juniors
I think the biggest thing besides cash was to remove the first and last rights option that were contractually in place until another 10 years or more (Someoen else can give the exact details).

This was huge to have this clause removed from the current rights and moving forward. It will allow the league more bargaianing power next time.

By then the AFL will be possibly directly broadcasting so the TV networks will be going hard against each other to win the NRL (thats the theory) wait and see.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I love the game as much as anyone,

But we have to admit, we got screwed in the delivery of the game to the fans.

The money is great, excellent work.

The coverage they agreed to is crap,

And to say that Nine refused simulcast, 6 months after they offered it to the AFL, is laughable.

The refusal was based on amateur negotiations.

What did John Grant say "Hey gynge wanna simulcast with Fox"

Gynge "Ah No"

Grant "Ok sweet"

I'm sorry but for the AFL to have a dedicated 24 x 7 channel and every game simulcast v the shit we are going to get dished up , is a joke.

Hope they spend the money well, because we are fighting with one hand behind our back in the family rooms of australia

lol

back it up

you have no idea what went on

Perth Red

Post Whore
He did and it isn't surprising given the newness of the ARLC, they haven't yet found their feet or confidence in many ways. They were clearly after two things this deal and they got them, yes it was at the expense of better TV covg for fans and better game time KO's but they got the money the game needs to move to the next stage of its growth. Yes we have to put up with 5 years of Ch9 and it's poor treatment of the game but if the ARLC spend the money wisely it will be a price well worth paying for the future that lies ahead. Compare this to the last deal and you will see we have taken a significant step forward, in 5 years I expect us to take a massive stride.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i saw the press conference

you on the other hand missed it seeing Gyngell wasn't happy at having to fork out more than he wanted

he also never mentioned Grant. it was Ian Elliot and Graham Samuel that did the negotiating

you're an idiot who just assumes all these things would have been done if you'd been the negotiator

you're probably a f**king garbologist

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Take the cash now. Thats what the game needs.

The REAL value in copping what we have to now will come in 5 years time. Its not that long a period.

The ARLC will be truly free to do as they please. They won't even have to talk to Nein and Fox if they don't wish to do so. Its true we could have gone to 10, but Nine were still entitled to be informed of what we were doing next time around even if they weren't the incumbent and that would have been the case for another 15 years.

If there was no value in first and last rights, they wouldn't have been inserted in the first place.

Latest posts