What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TWO new Brisbane teams

Colk

First Grade

I think another Qld team is appropriate perhaps (definitely not the 18th but in say 10 years or so sure) and they should’ve picked a South Brisbane team in this round but this endless fear talk about AFL is crazy. It plays right into their propaganda pieces that they feed to the Mexicans (RL is a dying sport and the folks in NSW/QLD are seeing the light - the heathens are learning the gospel of AFL). Stop talking up their game and doing the work for them as they do it themselves anyway.

Anyway it is completely overestimated and completely cyclical. The Lions are getting more support because they are going well (I’m assuming they are) and Broncos aren’t. Once the roles are reversed and they go back to being crap and the Broncos/Titans/Dolphins go well as I’m sure they will this whole talk will die down

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Tbf it should have been the team that’s picked. We wouldn’t be having a discussion about adding another team in Brisbane if they just picked the Firehawks. But anyway News Limited and all that. They should have put this up in the FTA discussions and seen which would have fetched in the negotiations. I have a feeling they might have come up with a different result than the Dolphins
Redcliffe do seem to be the strongest bid so I'm not sure if there would have been a different decision (I could be wrong). Looking forward say 20 years though, Brisbane was probably always going to get another team to service the growing population in a RL city and basically lock out the other codes from even trying to expand (essentially keeping it at or just below saturation level). The northern and western corridors are both important parts of that strategy.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I think another Qld team is appropriate perhaps (definitely not the 18th but in say 10 years or so sure) and they should’ve picked a South Brisbane team in this round but this endless fear talk about AFL is crazy. It plays right into their propaganda pieces that they feed to the Mexicans (RL is a dying sport and the folks in NSW/QLD are seeing the light - the heathens are learning the gospel of AFL). Stop talking up their game and doing the work for them as they do it themselves anyway.

Anyway it is completely overestimated and completely cyclical. The Lions are getting more support because they are going well (I’m assuming they are) and Broncos aren’t. Once the roles are reversed and they go back to being crap and the Broncos/Titans/Dolphins go well as I’m sure they will this whole talk will die down
Completely agree with this. It is the same argument as North Sydney. There is nothing they can achieve in Brisbane with one team that we can't achieve with two, especially considering it is a RL dominant city.

I do support another QLD club in the south-west in the future though but it is more about locking up the future for RL than it is about losing the city to AFL (which isn't going to happen).

Colk

First Grade
Completely agree with this. It is the same argument as North Sydney. There is nothing they can achieve in Brisbane with one team that we can't achieve with two, especially considering it is a RL dominant city.

I do support another QLD club in the south-west in the future though but it is more about locking up the future for RL than it is about losing the city to AFL (which isn't going to happen).
It is so weird tbh. I remember the Lions winning a few ‘flags’ or whatever you call it and the Swans have won one as well. They didn’t kill Rugby League. The Storm haven’t killed AFL either but like the Lions and Swans they have probably generated a fair bit of interest, whether casual or otherwise and that is the whole point of expansion: new interest and new eyeballs.

Put a team in Perth and Adelaide and we’ll generate new interest in the sport as well

Redcliffe's infrastructure is about 5 or 10 years ahead of Easts. It will take a few years for the redevelopment of the new grandstand, training and corporate facilities at Langlands Park to finish, which would make 2028 a good time for them to enter the NRL. That's what the West Coast Pirates are up against for the 18th licence.

Do the Pirates have a training facility with state of the art equipment to support an NRL club?

Colk

First Grade
Redcliffe's infrastructure is about 5 or 10 years ahead of Easts. It will take a few years for the redevelopment of the new grandstand, training and corporate facilities at Langlands Park to finish, which would make 2028 a good time for them to enter the NRL. That's what the West Coast Pirates are up against for the 18th licence.

Do the Pirates have a training facility with state of the art equipment to support an NRL club?

I have no idea mate. I’m not from Perth. I’m assuming that they would use the same facilities as Perth Glory or in Newy where I am from the Knights and the Newcastle Jets and they would essentially share the costs/facilities throughout the year

I have no idea mate. I’m not from Perth. I’m assuming that they would use the same facilities as Perth Glory or in Newy where I am from the Knights and the Newcastle Jets and they would essentially share the costs/facilities throughout the year
NRL clubs who own state of the art facilities have a massive advantage over those who do not.

The revenue stream provided by Easts Leagues and the corporate support on offer for a team based just a few kilometres from the Brisbane CBD in an RL mad city is just too good to pass up, hence the ARLC telling Easts and Ipswich to bid again in the future. I honestly cannot see Ipswich getting before 2050, so that leaves Easts as the 18th team.

MugaB

Coach
That encapsulates the problem with the Dolphins. The fact that they have to go the The thing is the fact that Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast are completely different regions and there’s no moniker that you can use to suggest otherwise. It’s like somebody saying let’s put a team for the whole of Newcastle and Central Coast. It wouldn’t work.

Secondly I don’t know how they could pick a bid that plays games not at Suncorp Stadium when the explicit reason for putting another side in Brisbane was that’s there would be a game at Suncorp everybody week. If they couldn’t meet this first objective then it shouldn’t have progressed any further. I just feel that this is just a News Limited middle finger to Channel Nine seeing that FTA was the one wanting this.

Anyway all that said I actually think the Dolphins should go well because of their money but I don’t know whether a pseudo Moreton Bay- Sunshine Coast travelling Wilburys side was better for the comp then an actual second Brisbane side
There was no specific mention of playing in Suncorp every week, it was having a game in BRISBANE, or bids for SEQ only which won't happen either due to the sunshine coast stadium games, but yeah, 1-2 games short won't foul the plan too much...

Colk

First Grade
I would still give to Perth for the 18th and then confirm that 19 and 20 Brisbane 3 (Firehawks/Jets) the other could be NZ 2/Adelaide would enter in the same time or spread across two years (for recruitment perhaps) no later than 2032 in the time for the Brisbane Olympics

That timeline would be good

However I have no confidence whatsoever in the NRL making good decisions and picking Perth and Brisbane III in the future at all.
They will probably just pick the Bears for the 18th (the amount of press they have been receiving, the declaration of support from Souths, the fact that they’ve been talking to the NRL for six months, the whole let’s just call ourselves a brand)

Colk

First Grade
There was no specific mention of playing in Suncorp every week, it was having a game in BRISBANE, or bids for SEQ only which won't happen either due to the sunshine coast stadium games, but yeah, 1-2 games short won't foul the plan too much...

The directive was pretty clear from FTA: they wanted a game at Suncorp every week. This is clearly a middle finger from News Limited to Channel Nine. Ok we’ll agree to give you another side in Brisbane even though we don’t want to because it would affect the club that we own, so in return we’ll give you a club that you wouldn’t pick and who won’t give you a game at Suncorp every week.

The fact that in the Sun Herald (Fairfax which Channel Nine own) are still criticising the process and the pick is a pretty clear indication that News Ltd played them, they are not happy with the Dolphins and this whole exercise was less about getting a team and more about two media companies trying to win a little ego battle

Colk

First Grade
Bears aren't in QLD, thats all the ARLC care about

Doesn’t matter. V’landys is a News Ltd puppet and he will do their bidding.

Think of it this way - Do you really think that News Ltd want a side to challenge the Broncos who they majority own?

News Ltd won’t want to pay too much for the next side hence why they’ll push for the Bears or something like Central Qld if they go with another side in Qld.

They’ll dress up the former as a wonderful story as they come back from the dead and reclaim lost fans; notwithstanding the irony of News Ltd actually playing a role in their death. The latter would be dressed up as they are mad for Rugby League and we can’t ignore such a RL area; even though there’s clearly not enough people for it.

Essentially they want to keep RL as small as they can; Perth and Adelaide would be too expensive and South Brisbane would threaten the Broncos

Perth Red

Post Whore
The ninth game has to be sold to fta in the 2027 deal to realise it’s true value. Super Sunday with two fta games on at 4pm and 6pm. Ideally I’d like to see Saturday night on fta but news wont allow it and Vlandys is their man.
It won’t really matter where the club is tbh in that regard. Why nrl really has to take this opportunity it’s got to grow the game into a new market, not just play it safe again and add yet another heartland team.

Colk

First Grade
I hope that you’re right Perth Red. The game needs to show sort of courage but after all this talk about the Bears (which has got more press coverage than any of the other bids combined) I don’t hold out much hope

The directive was pretty clear from FTA: they wanted a game at Suncorp every week. This is clearly a middle finger from News Limited to Channel Nine. Ok we’ll agree to give you another side in Brisbane even though we don’t want to because it would affect the club that we own, so in return we’ll give you a club that you wouldn’t pick and who won’t give you a game at Suncorp every week.

The fact that in the Sun Herald (Fairfax which Channel Nine own) are still criticising the process and the pick is a pretty clear indication that News Ltd played them, they are not happy with the Dolphins and this whole exercise was less about getting a team and more about two media companies trying to win a little ego battle
Brisbane 3 provides more content for Ch9. Perth doesn't. If the 17th club was about appeasing News Ltd then the next team will be for Ch9.

Colk

First Grade
I don’t think Channel 9 or any other FTA provider are going to be important unless they pay for another game. That’s the only way they are going to pay more.

Take these FTA negotiations (if you can believe what has been reported). Channel Nine have got their extra Brisbane team (although perhaps not the exact one they wanted) but they are not broadcasting any extra games and their paying less than what they did last time.

To suggest that News Ltd does not have the whip hand here when they are the ones who would be showing the extra game is at least debateable.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I hope that you’re right Perth Red. The game needs to show sort of courage but after all this talk about the Bears (which has got more press coverage than any of the other bids combined) I don’t hold out much hope
There been talk of the bears resurrection for 15 years and they keep being ignored, for good reason. Nothing has changed now except they want to be nomadic which is an even dumber business plan than before!

The only thing I can see of getting in the way of perth is vlandys. He is small minded and the concept of taking in the challenge of growing the game in a new major market seems beyond him. If he goes or changes his way, and if the WA bidders can really put $millions on the table to ensure long term financial security then Perth is a no brainer as the 18th club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brisbane 3 provides more content for Ch9. Perth doesn't. If the 17th club was about appeasing News Ltd then the next team will be for Ch9.
The ninth game provides the extra content for fta, not the club coming in. At least perth gives an opportunity to grow an audience, nsw and qlnd is just the same eyes watching now.

Colk

First Grade
Furthermore, Channel Nine or any other FTA provider haven’t shown any interest in showing any more than three games. Unless you can split four games over two seperate broadcasters but that would be extremely problematic with the schedule as those games would be on seperate days

Perth Red

Post Whore
Furthermore, Channel Nine or any other FTA provider haven’t shown any interest in showing any more than three games. Unless you can split four games over two seperate broadcasters but that would be extremely problematic with the schedule as those games would be on seperate days
We can only hope by the time the next deal is negotiated there are better options than Ch9. I’m really hoping for a split between fta and a games free on a streaming service, but that would require news ltds monopoly on streaming being broken, and we know which side of the bed Vlandys lies on!

Ideally id like to see ch7 get Friday and Saturday night games plus origin, ch10/paramount plus get two Sunday live games plus finals and either a different streaming or even paramount plus get all games as ptv. f**k news and Ch9 off for good!

Latest posts