What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U16 Euro Cup

CZ Andy

Juniors
Euro Celts were...

Kris Wilkes, Ethan Woodvine, Carl Murray, Ian Marshall, Sam Powell, Kyle Blackmore, Dale Blackmore, Jake Brown, Tom Beaumont (North Wales)

Michal Hora, Kuba Smisek, Honza Buben, Petr Dobremysl, Ladislav Sebek (Czech Rep.)

Voja Dedic, Milutin Ninkovic, Velibor Sreckovic, Lazar Pavlovic (Serbia)

Peter Carr (Ireland)

Management & Coaches
Ray Caldwell (NW)
Andy Fairhurst (CZ)
Ben Araud (FR)
Lee Blackmore (NW)

... and to come third make us the surprise package of the tournament considering the guys don't even speak the same language.

Overall the tournament was a great success and with the exception of one team whose behaviour wasn't within the spirit of the game, a great experience for all the boys involved. To see Russian, Serbia, Czech and UK kids making friends, swapping club gear and going out together made is a great week, and the point that seems to be missed by some is that these tournaments are as much about the development of these guys as people as much as anything else. There are 5 guys going back to the Czech Repubic this evening with new kits, shirts and playing gear and a wave of enthusiasm that will take the game forwards.

couerdelion

Juniors
Thanks Andy

were the Serbian kids on the Euro Celts not considered good enough for their own country?

just wondering. Great result for them if that's so, puttingone over on their own team!

langpark

First Grade
I didn't realise the French had 3 sin-binnings. To have that and only lose by two must mean they're a pretty strong side.

CZ Andy

Juniors
Couerdelion;
Yes, the Serbs in our squad were those left out of the Serbian squad and they all had pitch time in least two games which was good. They took a bit of banter from the Serb kids about being traitors but they went home with 3rd place medals and they were made up with it! In terms of squad contribution they turned out to be invauable, especially the couple with good English as they were highly compenent Sherpas for us!

And Langpark;
The French sent a full-strength side. Our Welsh lads from the Celts side recognised them as they had played the majority of them before, once as France and once as Catalans academy who contributed the bulk of the French squad.

The saturday was a free day with no games, so two of the Czech lads played in the Serbian domestic competition for a new team at Jovan's invitation which was great.

Andy

ali

Bench
CZ Andy said:

Overall the tournament was a great success and with the exception of one team whose behaviour wasn't within the spirit of the game, a great experience for all the boys involved.

Sounds a great success, though I wouldn't have minded seeing a full welsh side involved, to get a better indication of how strong their juniors are.

I guess we need to ask about the behaviour of the French. Were they bad losers? And were there other problems?

And great to see you here Andy. Going by your name, you are obviously involved in Czech development work, so good luck with that.

YANTO

Juniors
dorcolrugby said:
First, thank you on best wishes!
Second, how many players from clubs playing Dutch RL championship did Holland have when they, for example, beat Serbia three times? (My opinion is that ONE school that we are talking about would give a lot more players for England U16s, even if they wanted mixed-club national team, then the answer on this question)
Third, do you want to say that Serbia is not established RL nation and, being unestablished, has no rights to beat Russia?
Four, do you think that French boys don't go to school?

I thought before tournament that France and, maybe Russia, are going to be favourites, but when watched the both France (v Euro Celts) and England (v Serbia) must say that we are going to have much tougher encounter in gold medal match then last year in U19s final.
Dorcolruby.

When we beat Serbia three times,

THE first was by Rotterdam Rugby Union club PLUS Stephan Rhodes and Mike Muir who where drafted in from the UK.

When we won in Belgrade which I believe was the first international since @ 1952 played in Serbia.
We had Alex Smits (Dutch Passport but Serbia wanted proof (which we supplied) Nathan Gee and Nathan Merischke.
The other guys were them could could afford the trip and fancied a wekeend in Belgrade.
Superb weekend and we all came home with great memories.(Awesome city and the girls are toppie)

Third time (World Cup)
Not exactly a bonding experience,Serbia where not the best guests we had hosted (defeat may have had an impact)
Aaron de Jagger,Dane Nyrinckxs, and Chris Hodgetts.
Serbia also had three (or was it four) NONE Serbian local players.

Live with it pal

In five years you have beaten,???? Czech Republic

But 100% support from the RLEF..... I often wonder WHY?????

Give my best to Rizzo.
Top guy who learned me how to play the game when I was an 18 year old kid just making the pro ranks.

YANTO

Juniors
ONE school (Not even Whitehaven District) BEATS the cream of developing Europe.

Russia and France after years of developemnt must now take a look at their junior set up.
Granted the other nations are pretty new.

Can we really class this as a European under 16 championship when ONE SCHOOL wins it??

Time to stop the bullsh*t and get down to real European Development
(IF THATS what the RLEF is REALLY about)

Yanto the negative is back

YANTO

Juniors
A sensational finish - and brilliant second half defensive display which kept their opponents scoreless - saw England take the inaugural European Rugby League under 16’s title, with a 14-12 win over favourites France in the decider in Belgrade. Outstanding scrum half Greg McNally claimed all England’s points, his winning penalty coming in the final minute. The French outscored their rivals by two tries to one but their determined efforts were eventually undone by the sin binnings of half backs Maxim Fages and Tony Gigot in a feisty first half. McNally kicked three penalties in the opening forty minutes but the Tricolors led 12-6 at the break courtesy of tries to centre Antony Rastouil and Gigot with Morgan Escare landing a conversion and Gigot a penalty. The French tried everything to break the English resolve in a desperate second half onslaught but as they tired, McNally proved to be the match winner with a converted try and his last gasp match winner to delirious scenes. In the third-placed play off, the European Celts produced their best performance to just hold off the challenge of hosts Serbia, 22-20, in a fine game that enthralled the enthusiastic home crowd. The sides were locked at 8-all going into the break when Welshman Jake’s Brown’s long run set up Ethan Woodvine for a try, converted by Ian Marshall, to break the deadlock. Serbia had taken an early lead, Filip Brkic kicking two penalties to go with a try by winger Dragan Kranjec. Hooker Kyle Blackmore cut the deficit and second rower Brown also crossed. In a tense second period, the select side just held their composure as both teams scored two more touchdowns. Back rowers Stefan Nikolic and Niksa Unkovic were the home heroes, Brkic converting both while for the Celts, Woodvine and man of the match Brown both finished with a brace.
Russia survived a late surge from Scotland to take fifth spot in the tournament. The Bear cubs led 18-0 midway through the second half but tries from loose forward Conor Dow and Nathan Delgado soon after, both converted by Indio Singh, made it 18-12 at the finish. The powerful charges of prop Timur Khasanov settled the Russians in the nervy opening exchanges, leading to tries for centre Sergey Pavluchenkov, winger Fedor Kovalchuk and full back Nikolay Kalashnikov; all of which were unconverted. Left winger Timur Khairetdinov extended the lead, Sergey Nikolaevsky adding the extras and the Russians, well led by scrum half Marat Sibagatullin, had just enough in reserve to take the spoils.

From the RLEF website....

JasonE

Bench
This was the official France under 16 team which played England in two internationals back in April. I don't think it's the same side which played in the Euros.

1 J Baptiste Duclaux
2 Thomas Ambert
3 Damien Gauthier
4 Clement Bienes
5 Geoffrey Amat
6 David Gausch
7 William Barthau
8 Jimmy Graziani
9 Dimitri Feraud
10 Christopher Lafon
11 Thomas Cathala
12 Jordon Rieux
13 Yacine Boutouba
Subs (all used)
14 Geoffrey Zava
15 Eloi Pelissier
16 Geremy Grau
17 Maxime Cicirko

RLIF

Juniors
YANTO said:
ONE school (Not even Whitehaven District) BEATS the cream of developing Europe.

Russia and France after years of developemnt must now take a look at their junior set up.
Granted the other nations are pretty new.

Can we really class this as a European under 16 championship when ONE SCHOOL wins it??

Time to stop the bullsh*t and get down to real European Development
(IF THATS what the RLEF is REALLY about)

Yanto the negative is back

That is fair enough Yanto...however we have to start somewhere....give it time...

RLIF

Juniors
This is the 2007 U16's results from the matches at full strength:

Wales vs England
Wales 0 England 46

England vs France
England 22 France 12,
England 24 France 12

France vs Wales
France 34 Wales 20

dorcolrugby

Juniors
YANTO said:
THE first was by Rotterdam Rugby Union club PLUS Stephan Rhodes and Mike Muir who where drafted in from the UK.
Yes, sleeping in the changing rooms was quite great memory on that event. However, zero domestic RL competition players (you missed Joel Barret, Stuart Barker and Martijn Jonkers, I think that they also played abroad).

YANTO said:
When we won in Belgrade which I believe was the first international since @ 1952 played in Serbia.
We had Alex Smits (Dutch Passport but Serbia wanted proof (which we supplied) Nathan Gee and Nathan Merischke.
The other guys were them could could afford the trip and fancied a wekeend in Belgrade.
Superb weekend and we all came home with great memories.(Awesome city and the girls are toppie)
What about Joel Barret, Kees Foxton, Jorik Moree, Aaron de Jager and Phil Parkinson (at least 3 of them has pretty tiny connections with Holland, but that was not the point)? The point is zero domestic RL team's players again.
And really, bad financial situation in Holland didn't caused just cancellation of the trip to Belgrade of some players, but these who came (with Yanto on their head) payed their hotel and transfer bills (few hundreds Euros) with coins. Poor Holland RL!

YANTO said:
Third time (World Cup)
Not exactly a bonding experience,Serbia where not the best guests we had hosted (defeat may have had an impact)
Aaron de Jagger,Dane Nyrinckxs, and Chris Hodgetts.
Serbia also had three (or was it four) NONE Serbian local players.
Duncan Taylor and Alan Barker in 25-men sqaud, too, but unfortunaltely zero from domestic RL competition club's again. And Dayne Nierinckx - classic provocateur, but doesn't matter. We had four boys from abroad (brothers Simeunovic form UK, David Milovanovic and Milan Radojevic from Australia, all of them with Serbian names, you couldn't recognize that they are not from Serbia).
Organization of the match - the same as number of domestic players: zero! So disputed RLEF Development Executive Kevin Rudd marked the field, availability of poor stadium for the match, the banquet,... You said that Serbians were not the best guest? Well, tell here to everyone what did we do bad in Holland. Here are the "bad guests" in affect, on the banquet and before we went to Amsterdam! At least, we didn't pay you the beer on the banquet (because you din't give single free beer for the players) with the coins of 10 Euro cents. The banquet! How much did it cost you - about 50 Euros total? About that, ask everyone about us (Lebanese, French, Germans,...). If you said "unsatisfied" (because the referee didn't see two knock-ons in the set when you scored the first ry), it would be OK, but "not the best guests that" you "had hosted", it's simply miserly.

YANTO said:
Live with it pal
So, total of zero domestic RL competition club player is the fact that you should live with. Whitehaven school would have it more in full English U16 national team, that was the point.
Playing v Holland: anywhere, anytime!

YANTO said:
In five years you have beaten,???? Czech Republic
In those five years, we played v France, Lebanon, Morocco, Holland, Georgia, Russia, Greece (versus some of them several times). We had one draw v Morocco in Med Cup and all losses except Czech Republic. Who have you beaten? Czechs (less than 14-men Serbian squad) and Serbia three times? Who have you played with? I believe you haven't thought about the likes of France, Aussie-based Lebanon and Aussie-based Greeks.
Not more impressive than Serbia.

YANTO said:
But 100% support from the RLEF..... I often wonder WHY?????
Because we are giving our best to develop and establish the game in this part of Europe, fulfilling our obligations and competining wherevere we can, playing domestic competition for six years, having junior competitions and U14 and U16 players, organization capabilities for the high-level competitions, etc., etc., etc.

YANTO said:
Give my best to Rizzo.
Top guy who learned me how to play the game when I was an 18 year old kid just making the pro ranks.
OK, I will, but I wonder if he rolls his eyes again when he hear.

And, explain to the people, if you are so keen in RL development, why are you working for Rugby Union?

Kurt Angle

First Grade
OK.. some issues herd I see.....

So something more meaningful...are the serb juniors, scottish juniors or czech juniors affiliated anyway with RU?

dorcolrugby

Juniors
I apologize to other members of the forum, maybe moderators can split this topic into two (this one and the one with resentful Yanto's Q&A's), to clean this thread.

Some Serbian boys are affiliated in competitions of RU, but train RL more in their clubs. The both RL & RU seasons in Serbia are not too long and, fortunately, at their level in RU there is no pushing in scrums, for example, so they can use their RL skills.

dorcolrugby

Juniors
I apologize to other members of the forum, maybe moderators can split this topic into two (this one and the one with resentful Yanto's Q&A's), to clean this thread.

Some Serbian boys are affiliated in competitions of RU, but train RL more in their clubs. The both RL & RU seasons in Serbia are not too long and, fortunately, at their level in RU there is no pushing in scrums, for example, so they can use their RL skills.

CZ Andy

Juniors
Kurt Angle said:
OK.. some issues herd I see.....

So something more meaningful...are the serb juniors, scottish juniors or czech juniors affiliated anyway with RU?

The Czech senior team has about half union players, the juniors none. Junior development in RU is very poor in Czech anyway, but we coach in places with no union teams so the guys will grow up with league and not be threatened with bans and fines and so on like our senior players from union have.

roopy

Referee
dorcolrugby said:

I think we all understand that Yanto is a bit resentful that he didn't get the support we would all like to see every RL development get.
I don't agree with his position, but what he had to say was on the topic of the thread so it belongs here i think.

screeny

Bench
Yeah, Yanto is always saying 'let the truth be told'.

But let me get this right: during the World Cup qualifier in Holland the Serbian natonal team was made to sleep on the floor of the changing room?

You have got to be kidding me, right?

dorcolrugby

Juniors
screeny said:
Yeah, Yanto is always saying 'let the truth be told'.

But let me get this right: during the World Cup qualifier in Holland the Serbian natonal team was made to sleep on the floor of the changing room?

You have got to be kidding me, right?
No, you got that wrong. The changing room was also the place where Sebrian players slept two years before, when played the first time (2004) and the World Cup qualifier was played last year (2006). I wrote "on that event", not the World Cup qualifier.