What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UEFA Champions League 2011/12

langpark

First Grade
I'm really losing faith in football, every year players are earning more and more, yet becoming bigger princesses at the same time. I can't imagine how bad things will be 5 years from now if they don't take some serious action by then...

Tommy Smith

Referee
Yeah it's quite sad.

I just hope more and more kids look at the way Lionel Messi plays (as if they aren't already). He powers through defenders like a pinball, showing great strength and determination to stay on his feet.

His approach is "im going to dribble past the defenders and either score or set up a goal scoring opportunity". Whereas you look at someone like Di Maria who clearly dribbles the ball with the sole intention to dive and earn a foul whenever he's outnumbered.

And then there's Drogba's approach - "my team is going to be thoroughly outclassed so im going to spend 6-8 minutes of this match lying on the ground rolling around, leaving them less time and fluency to beat us."

HowHigh

Coach
It'd be great to see Chelsea knock Barca out and for Real to win La Liga
Wonder how many of those fake barca fans will switch sides

Bulldog Force

Referee
Chelsea did play well and deserved to win, but I can't stand Drogba's (sp?) consistent laying down on the field. Especially when he clutched at his groin when Puyol didn't even make contact there lol.

I'm still annoyed as f**k. Disgraceful from Chelsea, how would it feel winning like that not even playing football. thats nothing to be proud of. If you beat Barca by playing football, then thats something to be proud of.

and then if Chelsea win, what then? do all teams see this and adopt an ultra defensive strategy and we have 0-0 games all the time, unless someone scores from a corner/free kick?

This is bad. Barca have to win on Wednesday. I will be fine with winning on Wednesday and then Real putting 7 on us in the final, for the sake of football.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I'm still annoyed as f**k. Disgraceful from Chelsea, how would it feel winning like that not even playing football. thats nothing to be proud of. If you beat Barca by playing football, then thats something to be proud of.

and then if Chelsea win, what then? do all teams see this and adopt an ultra defensive strategy and we have 0-0 games all the time, unless someone scores from a corner/free kick?

This is bad. Barca have to win on Wednesday. I will be fine with winning on Wednesday and then Real putting 7 on us in the final, for the sake of football.
It will be a cracker but don't write Bayern off - they are in the box seat and Real. All they'll need is 1 away goal and that'll see them head back to Allianz Arena and be favorites in the final.

Oh don't take that as me saying real will win. I'm just saying that I wouldn't even mind Real thrashing us (you know the whole rivalry thing) then losing to chelsea.

Eddie.

Bench
Fantastic night at Stamford Bridge. Full credit to Chelsea. They were relentless and very well organised. Outstanding performance from Gary Cahill. Didn't think he was up to it but he was great. Ashely Cole, Drogba and Terry again proved they are still there for the big occasions.

I still think Barca will advance. It will be a different story on the big pitch at the Nou Camp. The biggest factor of all in the CL, lady luck smiled down on Chelsea tonight and not before time in this competition. They will need another huge slice of that next week to advance. Barca wasted 3 or 4 guilt edged opportunities. However Barca look shaky at the back, and it only takes one moment from Drogba and there will be panic at the Nou Camp

I could not give a toss that Barca had 24 shots to 2. Couldn't give a toss that they had 79% of possession. Don't care they completed over 800 passes to 150. Football is about taking your chances and sticking the ball in the net. Chelsea's goal was a cracker, 2 passes both brilliant by the way and a great finish. That was great football.

Penny be realistic. United and Arsenal have been tonked trying to take on Barcelona with an attacking mindset. Barca have lost something like 2 out of their last 63 matches before tonight. Chelsea gave themselves the best opportunity of reaching the final by the way they set up tonight. Barca actually looked out of ideas in the second half.

By my count now that is 9 games against Barcelona since 2005. No goals for Messi in 7 games against Chelsea. 2 victories for Barcelona overall. Those 2 victories were when Chelsea were down to 10 men. Say what you like Penny, but Chelsea have been an extremely tough opponent for Barca down the years. So they are not about to go and change there tactics now. Even your coach Pep, gave Chelsea credit for their performance. To nullify Barca and keep them to 4 or 5 good chances is a great effort.

I was laughed at when I said this group had something left. I said AVB had got it all wrong. and we could win tonight at Stamford Bridge. Well these blokes are proving it again. Nights like tonight and the 5-1 thrashing of Spurs show that Chelsea remain an extremely difficult side to beat. All Chelsea fans should be proud tonight, the boys defended like heros, and beat the best side on the planet. They rode their luck, however by in large they carried out their plan to a tee, kept Messi quiet.

Go you Blues!

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal
United knocked Barca out in the semis in 08 by playing defensive football. When we tried to play attacking football in the 09 and 11 finals, we got wallopped. Any team's first priority is to win. A distant second is to look pretty doing so (which requires a very, very good side to achieve with any reliability).

Eddie.

Bench
United knocked Barca out in the semis in 08 by playing defensive football. When we tried to play attacking football in the 09 and 11 finals, we got wallopped. Any team's first priority is to win. A distant second is to look pretty doing so (which requires a very, very good side to achieve with any reliability).

Exactly. Chelsea have probably Barca's toughest opponent down the years because of this reason. Only a mug wouldn't give Chelsea grudging credit for their performance tonight. AFter all this is a side that is 6th in the PL, against the best in the World. They were given no hope and they were relentless, well disciplined and very organised. Their defensive tactics gave them the best possible chance to win the match. It still required some great individual performances from Cech, Cahill, Terry and Cole and huge slices of luck to keep them at bay.

It is like flooding the Swans did in the AFL. Like kicking the ball dead deliberately in League. Defensive tactics that can nullify individuals and frustrate a deadly opponent. The only thing disgraceful was Barca not taking their guilt edged chances.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
This week’s results perfectly illustrate why I don’t like the away goal rule that the champions league uses. On what planet should a team that wins at home 2-1 be in a worst position than a team that wins at home 1-0?

ay Yeah, I know Chelsea don't give a shit what I or any fan thinks, and all they want to do is win. But that doesn't make me feel any better about the situation. If Chelsea win and other teams catch onto this style of play and this turns out to be the best style of play to win a game, then football will be way worse off for it.

No, Chelsea should not be proud, the only person who should be happy is Abramovich and De Matteo, coz he gets to keep his job. The players didn't even play football. Nothing to be proud of, especially Drogba. Ramires can be proud, I guess, he was the only one that tried anything.