What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UEFA Champions League 2011/12

HowHigh

Coach
I think Chelsea are a chance to get a result in the first leg and would love to see Barca knocked out but I think they'll be far too strong back home

I think Bayern will be good enough to go through to the final..

boxhead

First Grade
We need to deny Bayern the home goal advantage :p
If we lose 1-nil I won't mind, any losing margin greater than that and I'll be worried for our chances in Madrid.
Both quality teams that have a great chance to go to the final, I hope we make it because I'm starting to think we will slip up in La Liga.
Good luck to both teams and hopefully Mr Webb calls it fairly/doesn't give out bad calls.

Eddie.

Bench
Chelsea's 5-1 over Spurs was the best win I have seen from them in going on 2 years, and I see every game this team play. Not that they were totally dominant. However physically they were much stronger then Spurs, and in the end they ran rough shot over them. That's what the great Chelsea sides under Mourinho and Hiddink did. It was also probably their best result in 2 years, an emphatic 4 goal win over a bitter rival in a big game. It will give them a lot of confidence.

Drogba scored a world class goal and put in an emphatic performance. He bullied Gallas who is no mug. He is Chelsea's ultimate big game player. Trust me Drogs can't be assed in most games now and has a poor season because of that. However he will be up for this one big time, he is still world class when he wants to be. Di Matteo MUST include him, he will give Mascherano and co a torrid time. No one will mention it but John Terry has been in imperious form at the back. Mata was brilliant against Spurs and the pace and running of Ramires was fantastic.

Barcelona should be way too good. I mean $1.13 to qualify so its a near certainty I suppose. I just get the feeling Chelsea are going to be like a bull at the gates this Wednesday night at Stamford Bridge. I have seen some magnificent performances over the years in Europe at the Bridge. The crowd is going to be right up for it after what happened 3 years ago. I don't give us a hope in hell at the Nou Camp on the big pitch over there, but I honestly think he can win at the Bridge which will make them nervous.

Like I said 2 months ago when ABV was sacked, thank f**k!! These guys can still play and everything I have seen since confirmed to me what an awful job AVB did in handling and man managing the squad.

Team I would select

--------------Cech-----------------
Ivanovich-Cahill-Terry-A Cole
-----------Mikel----------------
------Ramires-Lampard---------
----Torres---------Mate----------
------------Drogba----------------

Last edited:

Big Sam

First Grade
Great scoreline this morning for a neutral going into the 2nd leg.

It'll ensure Bayern don't play too conservatively whilst Madrid will be all out attack.

Auf geht's ihr roten, kämpfen und siegen :D :D

Finely balanced score that puts us in to a blockbuster return leg. Whatever happens in Madrid we've already proven to be their equal and belong in th top 3 teams in the world.

I wasn't particularly impressed with FCB either. Coentrao keeps proving he's rubbish he got torn to shreds all night. I hope he plays next game. Manu Neuer once again showing he's the €25m goalkeeper who can't handle crosses.

Franco didn't their goal IMO 2-0 would have been nicer but it's all good. I pray Der Titan doesn't open his mouth and say Franco can't score 2 against UGE Neuer like he did all those years ago.

Btw Howard Webb bottled another big game. Useless twat.

WireMan

Bench

Finely balanced score that puts us in to a blockbuster return leg. Whatever happens in Madrid we've already proven to be their equal and belong in th top 3 teams in the world.

I wasn't particularly impressed with FCB either. Coentrao keeps proving he's rubbish he got torn to shreds all night. I hope he plays next game. Manu Neuer once again showing he's the €25m goalkeeper who can't handle crosses.

Franco didn't their goal IMO 2-0 would have been nicer but it's all good. I pray Der Titan doesn't open his mouth and say Franco can't score 2 against UGE Neuer like he did all those years ago.

Does that put Arsenal in the top 2 teams then? They did beat Barca the other year...

Real have a rubbish defence. Very good mid and attack but Coentrao, Pepe, Ramos and Marcelo are very average defenders and they are the best ones. They may look good on the ball, but defenders they ain't.

Ribery needs to stop moaning and diving around (i'm sure Taylor will be all over twitter with his outrage), and Gomez is the German Andy Carroll.

WireMan

Bench
He has scored 40+ goals this season.

A tad different to 35m Andy.

Different leagues, different teams.

Gomez doesn't have Henderson, Adam and Downing setting him up...

They are about the same level. Miss loads of chances, not very mobile, can get a goal if the team give hm enough chances.

Gomez vs Real = Carroll vs the plastic scousers in the semi.

Jimbo

Immortal
Great game to watch this morning, apart from Ronaldo typically spending only half the match on his feet

Return leg should be well worth getting up for

Tommy Smith

Referee

Even though Dortmund own them?

In Europe id agree. But then Bilbao are probably the 4th best team in the world based on European football atm.

Oh and btw, Ribery and Di Maria (mainly Di Maria) are the biggest piece of shit divers in the world. They make Ashley Young seem like Roy Keane.

Well yeah. We'll see how they handle the pressure of a cup final against FCB. They buckled in the derby last year like they buckle in European football. Klopp can't prepare for Europe or adapt. Mentally weak team that can't handle regular mid week fixtures.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Yeah i agree. It's just bizarre to me that Bayern can peform so well on the European stage and yet fail to win the Bundesliga despite being, IMO, a far superior team to Dortmund.

Maybe it's just the style of football Dortmund play. And the fact that they haven't had to deal with an arduous European campaign with so much on the line like a home UCL final as is the case for Bayern.

Their heart and soul has clearly gone into making the home final in this years comp.

BvB have the luxury of weekly fixtures. FCB played 9 matches within a month leading up to their match last week. BvB do not have this fixture congestion.

Latest posts