What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Um... Is it just me?

100%green

Juniors
Interesting indeed.

Not to mention that the USARL had their meeting a few weeks ago and there were a fair few tweets about big things in 2013....could there be more to this whole thing???

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Interesting indeed.

Not to mention that the USARL had their meeting a few weeks ago and there were a fair few tweets about big things in 2013....could there be more to this whole thing???

I hope so, could you imagine how well the game would thrive in the US if the USARL got some serious financial backing and they became the affilliated body with the RLIF.

gyallop

Juniors
Only problem is that if you look through the Rugby forums Grand Prix has held some 7s rights since 2005 and hasnt turned a dime, not one event, despite some fairly outrageous announcements. It seems that for all Niu's mistakes walking away from Grand Prix isnt one of them!!

Evil Homer

Staff member
Only problem is that if you look through the Rugby forums Grand Prix has held some 7s rights since 2005 and hasnt turned a dime, not one event, despite some fairly outrageous announcements. It seems that for all Niu's mistakes walking away from Grand Prix isnt one of them!!
Then why did the AMNRL partner with them in the first place, and put out such grandiose press releases? Virtually everyone outside the AMNRL could see that the deal with Grand Prix was bad news at the time. FWIW I don't believe for a second that Niu has 'walked away' because we've been hearing reports for months that GP were upset with the AMNRL, but either way it's another example of the embarrassing, unprofessional mismanagement of the AMNRL that will continue until the current administration realize that the way they go about things is wrong.

gyallop

Juniors
and then why Homer if the USARL is the font of all things good in RL in the USA are they now working with Grand Prix. I agree that Grand Prix is a joke but they did convince USA Rugby to give them 7s so they BS machine must be first class!!

Evil Homer

Staff member
and then why Homer if the USARL is the font of all things good in RL in the USA are they now working with Grand Prix. I agree that Grand Prix is a joke but they did convince USA Rugby to give them 7s so they BS machine must be first class!!
I've not mentioned the USARL at all. The point is that the AMNRL yet again jumped head-first into something on the whim of one guy, promised the world and delivered nothing. This is not how you run an effective organization of any kind, let alone one so important that is supposed to be responsible for the development of the sport in the most powerful nation on Earth. You would think that the positive might be that the AMNRL would learn from something like this and maybe change the way they go about things, but experience says that instead they will just continue to operate within their own bubble and lurch from embarrassment to embarrassment until either they alienate everyone willing to work with them or Niu retires. Which is a massive shame for both the sport and themselves.

If the USARL did the same then they would come in for equal criticism, but I'm not sure why you even felt the need to bring them up here. I'm not particularly a USARL supporter, they are just a better alternative than the AMNRL mates club. It's a shame that the AMNRL don't seem to be able to understand that they aren't disliked because of some sort of personal bias or loyalty to another organization, they are disliked because of the embarrassing, incompetent way that they run the sport.

Last edited:

gyallop

Juniors
it was raised earlier as perhaps why the site was pulled. I suspect both leagues heard tatham's constant talk of cash and having no funding hoped that he would deliver on his promises and his board looks on paper to be credible , I guess sometimes you never know what is really there until you go inside. We have a great game that sadly isnt matched by overall strategic planning and funding with the Aussies Brits and Kiwis only worried about what is best for them.

byrner

Juniors
Homer, can I ask how you know the AMNRL is not.good.at what they do? Have you met them? Do you currently.have anything to do with the AMNRL or the USARL?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Homer, can I ask how you know the AMNRL is not.good.at what they do? Have you met them? Do you currently.have anything to do with the AMNRL or the USARL?
Because they have made countless grandiose promises and delivered nothing, their running of the national team is corrupt and a disgrace to the sport, their domestic competition is a shambles involving made-up teams, they have no board or organized governance structure of any kind and they have alienated literally every party that has tried to deal with them. They were so incompetent and corrupt that the majority of clubs took the drastic step of breaking away and forming their own competition, and still wouldn't come back even when the AMNRL attempted to blackmail their players.

Honestly, as I've said before, I could tolerate all this if they weren't responsible for running the national team and actively trying to hurt people who actually do want to do things in the right way.

byrner

Juniors
Because they have made countless grandiose promises and delivered nothing, their running of the national team is corrupt and a disgrace to the sport, their domestic competition is a shambles involving made-up teams, they have no board or organized governance structure of any kind and they have alienated literally every party that has tried to deal with them. They were so incompetent and corrupt that the majority of clubs took the drastic step of breaking away and forming their own competition, and still wouldn't come back even when the AMNRL attempted to blackmail their players.

Honestly, as I've said before, I could tolerate all this if they weren't responsible for running the national team and actively trying to hurt people who actually do want to do things in the right way.

Thats all well and good, but how do you know about all this? Are you based in the US? Have you met any of the administrators.from either party? Just trying to workout if your.opinion is based on experience or what you have read in these forums.

I personally only know what I have read on their websites and on forums. So basically, I dont know anything of any value.

You keep talking about how the AMNRL have no structure, are unorganised etc. I think you should remember that you are talking about a level.of.football that is at the same level as our local.A.Grade comps.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Thats all well and good, but how do you know about all this? Are you based in the US? Have you met any of the administrators.from either party? Just trying to workout if your.opinion is based on experience or what you have read in these forums.

I personally only know what I have read on their websites and on forums. So basically, I dont know anything of any value.

You keep talking about how the AMNRL have no structure, are unorganised etc. I think you should remember that you are talking about a level.of.football that is at the same level as our local.A.Grade comps.
Don't give me this bullshit about 'you're not based in the US'. People have tried that before and it's as big a crock of shit now as it was then, corrupt management is corrupt management whether you're based in New York or Timbuktu. Local U8s competitions have at least some semblance of structure and governance, the AMNRL is run at the whim of one man and his mates, it's an embarrassment to the sport and if anyone thinks that is an acceptable way to operate any sort of sporting competition whatever the level then they are an idiot.

T Boone Pickens

Juniors
After that, they can do whatever they want.

Who is "they"? The AMNRL? The USARL?

Where do "they" go from there? Would the leagues merge immediately?

What steps further would need to be taken to build a strong base in the US?

I'm looking for legitimate suggestions here, other then "take down the current regime"

deal.with.it

Juniors
What you will find T-Boone is:
The AMNRL are quite unorganized on the domestic front.
The USARL are very organised, and have both junior development and a wider reach in both their tier one comp, and several minor league teams etc.

The issue is that the AMNRL has a lot of really good players on its books, but they lack the opportunity to play in a properly organised "elite" competition. These same players will not get the opportunity to play week in, week out organised rugby while they play for the AMNRL. And they will not join the USARL because they want the chance to play for the Tomahawks... Not to mention the grandiose promises from the AMNRL - which have been very hit and miss. So it's really not a good situation for the players to go into the WC without being seriously tested week in week out.

The question is, without the Tomahawks, would the AMNRL continue to develop domestic rugby league? I would lean towards 'no', but one would have to ask David Niu.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Who is "they"? The AMNRL? The USARL?

Where do "they" go from there? Would the leagues merge immediately?

What steps further would need to be taken to build a strong base in the US?

I'm looking for legitimate suggestions here, other then "take down the current regime"
No, maybe a couple of clubs would switch across but I doubt the leagues will ever merge because they have totally different ideologies and the AMNRL have shown themselves to be untrustworthy and incompetent in terms of how a legitimate sporting organization should be run. The USARL clubs split away for a reason, and unless the AMNRL are willing to totally relinquish power and involvement (which I doubt) then having the leagues merge would be a backwards step, and would result in the same problems that caused the split in the first place.

If Niu and his mates want to run their own competition in their own way then whatever, they have the right to do that. What they don't have the right to do is monopolize the national team and attempt to use it to actively harm the development of the sport by people who do want to operate in a democratic way. If the national team was run by an independent body or one which considered all eligible players for selection then I doubt anyone would really have any complaints about the AMNRL's methods, it's their competition after all. But that isn't the case, Niu has admitted that he is using the national team as a way of rewarding 'loyalty' to him and his organization, and that is corrupt and wrong whichever way you look at it. I'm vocal against them because they are purposely and needlessly damaging the sport for their own benefit.

Last edited: