What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underacheivers in rugby league

ethan tremblay

Juniors
yeah it's a shame that all the players don't work out imagine how good the comp would be if every touted superstar turned out too be just that. would be mind blowing

Johns Magic

Referee
Cory Paterson wouldn't look out of place in this thread.

Just never had the mongrel in him, despite the size and skills.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I don't know about Julian O'Neill. To be legless yet manage to not only use footwear to catch a log, but then coherently describe it with, "I just shat in Schlossy's shoe" is a massive achievement IMHO.

Julian O'Neill. Watching him repeatedly waste his talent was nothing short of a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, wrapped in a conundrum. I'm not sure that I have ever seen a player with as much talent as O'Neill had.

Oh well, Lockyer took O'Neil's place in the history books of glory... More fool Julian. If he'd been focussed and still been at Brissie playing 5/8th, he'd be spoken of in the same breath as Daley, Fittler and Lockyer if not Lewis. Even if he was focussed and had stayed in his least preferred position of fullback, his name would have surpassed Mini, Slater, Belcher and Jack.

With a quarter of Brad Clyde's ticker and professionalism he would have surpassed him at lock, too.

Such a waste.

Such a damn waste.

Last edited:
What about Joel Moon and that young prop Ben Czizlowski (spelling may be an issue). Both boom prospects who never really rose to any heights.

Toleafoa Leaupepe. Second rower for the Warriors in 2008. Tower of a man who got sacked for posting pictures of him with guns on his Bebo page. Got hyped up quite a bit.

Mr Saab

Referee
Adam Ritz from the Eels - career runined by a broken neck. I think he was only 20 yrs old or something,

Get a clue you dimwitted uneducated league fool.

Adam recieved a high tackle from John Lomax in 1996...he underwent a brain scan and they found a tumour.
The high tackle WAS NOT THE CAUSE of the tumour....the high tackle basically saved his life as they found out he was in alot of touble.

He didnt underachieve at all....he was not given a chance to achieve in league.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Toleafoa Leaupepe. Second rower for the Warriors in 2008. Tower of a man who got sacked for posting pictures of him with guns on his Bebo page. Got hyped up quite a bit.

Did he? Never heard of him. I also heard a Vulcans player got sacked this year for trashing a hotel room, and another Vulcans member was there too but didn't get axed - because he's also a semi-regular Warrior.

Any mention of Denan Kemp makes me laugh. He did well to get as far as he did.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
make a team of 17 of the players that we thought had all the talent in the world but didn't live up too expectations

1.ewan Mcgrady
2.chris walker
3.karl filiga
4.ryan williamson
5.eric grothe jr
6.julian o'neil
7.brett firmann
8.aaron cannings
9.phil clarke
10.richard villasanti
11.alan cann
12.mark geyer
13.Olsen Filipaina (c)

14.leo dynover
15.sione faumuina
16.craig trindall
17.owen craigie
18. scott wilson

coach wally lewis
H/T entertainment Billy idol
should be interesting i found it hard but i'll keep thinking.
Ewan McGrady, won Rothman's medal. Not really underachieving.

Julian O'Neill played Origin and played at the best of his ability, he wasn't that talented really. I'd say John Sutton has shitloads more ability than Julian O'Neill but has underachieved more than any player I've ever seen.

Alan Cann represented state and country. Wasn't the most gifted of ball playing forwards either but played to his ability and even well above it for a few years.

Mark Geyer played in a time when there were a shitload of great forwards around and still managed to play for state and country.

Olsen Filipaina represented New Zealand in Tests for 10 years!

I'll give you the rest, but f**k you got some of them completely wrong.

woodyk2

First Grade
Having a mental blank. Who was the kiwi front rower who turned to boxing and at one stage ran off with a pommy model?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
does anybody remember the name of the parramatta kid signed at the age of 14 there was a big contract signing on the footy show
Barney Haslett. I went to school with him.

Went to Parra, played in the schoolboy cup thingy, put in Parra's lower grades, never made it, played for Wentworthville for a year, then moved to Mounties for a year or two I think and is now back home as Captain coach of Tumbarumba, who are running second last I believe.

That kid was overhyped. He was never going to be a NRL player. His oldest brother Ben was a Parramatta Marist player and was a better player than Barney.

The other brother Daniel was a short fella, played at fullback, but he had no fear. Used to run the ball back at full pace, sometimes he focussed on running into defenders so hard he'd forget to hang onto the ball.

Latest posts