What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underbelly: Razor

Bulldog Force

Referee
Might end up being an overall phail, but I thought the first two eps last night were ok. Gives an insight into how organise crime was nearly 85 years ago. Will be interesting to see how the next few episodes go. We all know how it ends for those Victorians that try to take over the Sydney Underworld :)lol:) so I'm just interested in seeing how Tilly & Kate finish in this series considered that they were both alive throughout the entire ordeal (1927-1936).

yeah i duidnt rate it at all.
i thought it was rubbish. wont be watching any more. seen enough.
its a good story on paper. however its so overdone...there was no character development at all...its pretty weak tbh. its all just. this happened, then this happened..and then this guy fought a bunch of dudes to show how hard he was but didnt win any fights...then we go to our 18th add break.
and theres alot of slow motion shots with dramatic music..almost self reflecting "look how gangster we are" shots.
very similar to the last 2 seasons..which were crap quality compared to the first season which had likeable characters with real development and clever diaologue.

gUt

Coach
I am not a TV watcher but I thought this was ok. Lots of t & a and some interesting characters.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah i duidnt rate it at all.
i thought it was rubbish. wont be watching any more. seen enough.
its a good story on paper. however its so overdone...there was no character development at all...its pretty weak tbh. its all just. this happened, then this happened..and then this guy fought a bunch of dudes to show how hard he was but didnt win any fights...then we go to our 18th add break.
and theres alot of slow motion shots with dramatic music..almost self reflecting "look how gangster we are" shots.
very similar to the last 2 seasons..which were crap quality compared to the first season which had likeable characters with real development and clever diaologue.
herein lies the problem.

The firs series, in all honesty, was piss easy to make, as was third season. the 2nd season a little harder, mainly because there was so much more media around to provide much greater in depth into the characters etc, as well as people who are still around today who were directly involved.

That's practically impossible with this series, so we will find there's a lot of 'creative licence' used to plug big gaps and to 'fill-in' each characters personality.

LESStar58

Referee
I refuse to watch it as the first one was terrible. It read like it was written by a VCA dropout who had seen Scarface too many times. As a result the acting (with Kat Stewart being the exception) was dreadful...and that ending with all those cops walking over the hill to arrest Carl Williams. Fail.

franklin2323

Immortal
It was decent enough. I too am curious how they end it given the timeline and both ladies were still going strong in 1936.

After looking at the photo's thankfully the chicks are hoter then in real life

God-King Dean

Immortal
Crap. I'll keeping watching though.

I liked the 3rd season. Really wanted to see the cops get their come-upance. The rapist (Dougie the pizza boy) getting away at the end pissed me off no end since that was half the reason I kept watching the show. :lol:

I IQ'd it, and have heard mixed reviews about it. Since the first one (which was very good) they've gotten worse at an alarming rate. The second one had a good storyline, but the acting was attrocious (what happens when you put Matthew Newton in the lead role). The third one was a glorified John Ibrahim wank fest, although it was good seeing the cops get what they deserved (well almost all of them).

I'm not expecting too much out of Razor, if it's on par with the second one I guess it'll be watchable. It's been hyped to the moon (dead set that ad with the Adele song has been on all year), but if it is as bad as the last one I don't think they'll do another one. It's just a way to get another season out of a title that's living off a good season 3 and a half years ago.

Munky

Coach
I watched the first 45 minutes and turned the trash off

If you want to watch a period drama on organised crime watch The Godfather 1 & 2.

PJ

First Grade
Turned it off as well. It wad ok, but not worth the amount of ads that were chucked in

Bulldog Force

Referee
Crap. I'll keeping watching though.

I liked the 3rd season. Really wanted to see the cops get their come-upance. The rapist (Dougie the pizza boy) getting away at the end pissed me off no end since that was half the reason I kept watching the show. :lol:
I know, BIG TIME. When they showed Dougie raping that chick on the billiards table I just wanted to rip that mo off his face. Can't believe nothing eventuated from it.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I IQ'd it, and have heard mixed reviews about it. Since the first one (which was very good) they've gotten worse at an alarming rate. The second one had a good storyline, but the acting was attrocious (what happens when you put Matthew Newton in the lead role). The third one was a glorified John Ibrahim wank fest, although it was good seeing the cops get what they deserved (well almost all of them).

I'm not expecting too much out of Razor, if it's on par with the second one I guess it'll be watchable. It's been hyped to the moon (dead set that ad with the Adele song has been on all year), but if it is as bad as the last one I don't think they'll do another one. It's just a way to get another season out of a title that's living off a good season 3 and a half years ago.
Well the thing about that is I believe they've penciled in a 5th series regarding some crime in Brisbane? That's what I heard. Brissy are yet to have a turn at this show. I might add I found the Underbelly Files (3 mini series) very boring!

Knightmare

Coach
I know, BIG TIME. When they showed Dougie raping that chick on the billiards table I just wanted to rip that mo off his face. Can't believe nothing eventuated from it.

+1. That and, like somebody else said, the whole series was basically a John Ibrahim wankfest. No way is he a cleanskin, he just knows how to cover his arse. The lengths they went to in order to portray him as God's gift to women was laughable as well. No doubt, owning a club and knowing the right people, he would have seen his fair share of arse in his time, but I somehow doubt a girl ever actually came up to him in the street and said "Hey Johnny....f**k you look hot!"

Onto 'Razor' and I find this series interesting, as a friends' dad knew Tilly Devine in her later years (he was her driver back in the 70's in Sydney) so there's that 2 degrees of separation. I had a good lol@50uff$ when she told that guy yelling "Rabbitoh!" to f**k off. Some things never change I guess :p

I have already noticed one historical error, and that is the scene at Spencer St station (Sydney terminal in mock-up). I knew it was filmed there as I read it in a mag about a month ago. The train waiting at the platform is a NSWGR 36 class, giving the impression that in 1927 you could catch the same train all the way from Melbourne to Sydney. Fact is, in 1927 it would have been a Victorian locomotive, as there was a change of gauge at Albury, with no standard gauge between Sydney and Melbourne until 1962! Surely it wouldn't have been to hard to film the scene at a Victorian station with a VR locomotive, would it?

/ train rant.

nöyd

Staff member
i lost interest in the first 2 minutes when some chick started singing the nips are getting bigger.

/historical inaccuracies rant

Last edited:

Special K

Coach
It just comes across as if someone watched boardwalk empire then thought to do a similar show about Australia and it's crime of the time.

Also I find odd that only one person has a pommy accent.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
i lost interest in the first 2 minutes when some chick started singing the nips are getting bigger.

/historical inaccuracies rant

I always laugh at the inaccuries. There's always plenty. eg in the last series a plasma on the wall in the pub etc. Always good laugh or 2

Latest posts