What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updates from CUA

bartman

Immortal
Cheers for the updates Delboy and those at the ground, and Bigfoot for the Panther perspective, very welcome and useful to keep our thoughts balanced in here ;-)

It's a trial, sounds like we've got some good things to keep us hopeful, as well as some things the coach can work on in coming weeks. No injuries is good.

murraymob

Coach
Interested in any thoughts on the impact the 2 refs may have had on the stle of footy played?

big fella from a penrith view on 2 refs and this is straight from guys in first grade and u20.They all said you rarely noticed they where there and that it did seem to quicken the game.All where positive in what they said about the 2 refs

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
Jarryd Hayne scored two tries to lead Parramatta to an 18-10 win over Penrith in their NRL trial match at CUA Stadium on Saturday night.

The Eels held a 12-4 lead at halftime before a runaway try to Panthers halfback Jarrod Sammut put the home side back within reach, just two points behind.
But an length-of-the-field try to Hayne in the 81st minute sealed the win for the Eels in a three-tries-to-two victory.

The Hayne experiment at five-eighth had mixed results in a mostly dour affair as both sides struggled to shake off the off-season rust.

Hayne was placed on report in the 11th minute for a high hit on Panthers winger Shane Elford, but soon made amends by scoring the night's opening try.

His mixed night continued in the second half, however, when Hayne bungled a certain four-pointer, spilling the ball 20 metres out with an open run to the try line ahead of him.

In the following set of six, the former Blues Origin winger opted to send a grubber in behind the Panthers defence, only for the ball to be scooped up by Sammut.

Sammut, wearing neon green boots, sprinted the length of the field with Hayne in pursuit but the Panthers No.7 was too quick, celebrating his runaway try after planting the ball under the posts.
But Hayne repaid the favour in the 81st minute, bolting 80m to score his second try for the night, leaving a chasing Sammut in his wake and sealing the win for the Eels.

The outnumbered Eels fans at CUA Stadium cheered each time recalled winger Eric Grothe touched the ball.

Grothe, who hasn't played in the NRL since round nine, 2008, made some storming runs, hit the ball up hard and was solid in his support play despite a couple of knock ons in the messy affair.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/hayne-leads-eels-to-win-over-penrith-20090221-8eae.html

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
Jarryd Hayne scored two tries to lead Parramatta to an 18-10 win over Penrith in their NRL trial match at CUA Stadium.

The Eels held a 12-4 lead at half-time before a runaway try to Panthers half-back Jarrod Sammut put the home side back within reach, just two points behind.

But a length-of-the-field try to Hayne in the 81st minute sealed the win for the Eels.

The Hayne experiment at five-eighth had mixed results in a mostly dour affair as both sides struggled to shake off the off-season rust.

Hayne was placed on report in the 11th minute for a high hit on Panthers winger Shane Elford, but soon made amends by scoring the night's opening try.

His mixed night continued in the second half, however, when he bungled a certain four-pointer, spilling the ball 20 metres out with an open run to the try line ahead of him.

In the following set of six, the former Blues Origin winger opted to send a grubber in behind the Panthers defence, only for the ball to be scooped up by Sammut.

Sammut, wearing neon green boots, sprinted the length of the field with Hayne in pursuit but the Panthers No.7 was too quick, celebrating his runaway try after planting the ball under the posts.

But Hayne repaid the favour in the 81st minute, bolting 80m to score his second try for the night, leaving a chasing Sammut in his wake and sealing the win for the Eels.

The outnumbered Eels fans at CUA Stadium cheered each time recalled winger Eric Grothe touched the ball.

Grothe, who hasn't played in the NRL since round nine last year, made some storming runs, hit the ball up hard and was solid in his support play despite a couple of knock ons in the messy affair.

Penrith Eels coach Daniel Anderson said his side's win, while scrappy at times, was still encouraging.
"I thought we just battled and we had to and I think we showed some little signs in the game that we've made some forward progress, even since last week when most of the big boys didn't play,''

Anderson said.
"We've still got some areas that we can work on, which is important.''

Panthers coach Matthew Elliott was pleased with his side's effort in defence.
"We did some really good stuff and showed some intent defensively, obviously in attack, we've got some work to do.'

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25089053-23214,00.html

Fee

Juniors
Just got home from the game, it wasnt great and it wasnt really bad either. I think the defence was alot better than last season, considering they havent all played for a while.Ben Smith was great at whatever position they put him in. I think there is still a long way to go but there are some good things that I think will come out of the game.By the way does anyone think Jared will get suspended for that high tackle.From where I was sitting it was a little high but I think the Penrith player was falling so it made it look worse than it was.:?

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Nothing against you guys, but I honestly believe we'll be in the bottom 4 this year.
Not to mention we were missing our star players.
Still, congratulations, and the only way is up.
Good luck with the rest of your trials, then prepare to be smashed by Penrith in the season proper. :D

Trials don't provide much other than a few meat pies and an outing at the footy. It's nothing more than an injury update after 80 mins of football.
I remember walking away from the a pre season roosters game last year rapt thinking we were definitely going to give the top 4 a shake. By enlarge, Parra played like bottom 4 team from that point.

Anyhow, if you can get your house in order, i'm sure you can have a decent year. Good luck in 2009.

QUEENSLANDER!!! :cool:

woddy

Juniors
Hayne on report in classy display

By Ben Blaschke | February 21, 2009 12:00am

<DIV class="article-body rank0" id=article-body>
PARRAMATTA 18 PENRITH 10

PARRAMATTA star Jarryd Hayne could face an anxious few days after he was put on report last night for a tackle that left Penrith's Shane Elford dazed. Playing five-eighth for half the game, Hayne scored two tries, while regular No6 Feleti Mateo produced a five-star performance at lock.
The efforts of Hayne and Mateo stood out for the Eels, who are two wins out of two under new coach Daniel Anderson.
Hayne showed glimpses of the form that saw him represent NSW two years ago. Despite spending only half the game at five-eighth before returning to his more familiar role at fullback, he produced the decisive play when he raced 80m to seal the win.
Eels coach Daniel Anderson said his side's win, while scrappy at times, was still encouraging.
"I thought we just battled and we had to. I think we showed some little signs in the game that we've made some progress, even since last week when most of the big boys didn't play,'' Anderson said.
"We've still got areas that we can work on, which is important.''
Panthers coach Matthew Elliott was pleased with his side's effort in defence.
"We did some really good stuff and showed some intent defensively, obviously in attack, we've got some work to do.''
Penrith coach Matthew Elliott will need plenty of improvement if he is to start the season well and ultimately save his job.
It was a timid affair early as both sides experimented with new halves combinations.
The Eels coach wouldn't have been too thrilled to see Fuifui Moimoi and Weller Hauraki putting in last-tackle kicks from consecutive sets.
Hayne scored the Eels' opening try after 22 minutes when he barged his way through three defenders from dummy-half.
Four minutes later, Parramatta were in again thanks to Brett Finch and Krisnan Inu.
Finch's angled grubber was fumbled in-goal by Penrith centre Brad Tighe and Inu was on hand to dive on the loose ball.
Penrith struggled to find their rhythm for much of the first half, but young five-eighth Wade Graham finally got the ball rolling after 35 minutes with a superb short-ball for Tim Grant.
Grant found Luke Lewis on the inside and although his last pass was knocked down, Michael Jennings pounced on the scraps to open his side's account.
Penrith closed the gap to two when Jarrod Sammut picked up a loose ball and out-paced Hayne in a 70m dash to the line.

Fulltime
PARRAMATTA 18 (J Hayne 2 K Inu tries L Burt 3 goals) bt PENRITH 10 (M Jennings J Sammut tries M Gordon goal) at CUA Stadium, Penrith. Referees: J Maxwell A Devich. Crowd: 5,783.

<DIV class="group instory-dropzones">

Fitz

Juniors
Just got home from CUA...it was a very sloppy game..

Jarryd Hayne didnt play well at 5/8...was a bit better when moved to fullback..He didnt pass when at 6..just kept holding it..not what we need in a 5/8. his kicking game was sh*te aswell..kicked 1 straight to Zammet who ran 60 to score.

Our last play opions were sh*te...twice in the first 10 minutes we gave it to forwards to kick on the last...once Fuifui put up the bomb and the other time Hauraki kicked through the line.

Ben Smith was limping from start to finish. But he did play the 80m. Must just have a permanant limp now.

Eric Grothe just looked lost on the wing IMO...virtually stood next to Ben Smith all game leaving his opposing winger unmarked. Lost the ball a few times as well...will surprise me if he starts on the wing. He stood in front of his centre while the ball was coming along the backline towards him.

I though the fat Number 16 played very well..and he is deceptivly fast. made a good line break. Is a lot fitter than he looks as well. Who is he again?? Should be in the side before Cordoba who did SFA.

The number 19 who came on did well as well in the centres..who was that???He looks a bit like Wagon.

I was a bit worried about the way we scored our tries. First was Jarryd Hayne from dummy half...not really the way u want to see tries scored in a trial where no points were on offer. Second try was Inu diving on a ball a penrith winger fumbled in goal...and the third was Jarryd Hayne picking up a lost ball from Penrith and going 70m to score..he did have a bit of work to do and did it well..

We didn't really create any of those try's by playing good footy.

Defence was very solid..again we looked a bit short on Grothes/Smith's side.

Inu didn't see any ball as Tautai doesn't know how to pass.

Burt played ok a full back and did one of his short drop outs succesfully.

Mateo is a lock and played well

Did anyone else see the small scuffly in the Penrith Black Zone area thing?

Fitz

Juniors
In regards to the 2 refs...only time I noticed the second one when played were arguing with him over decisions made by the other ref

Latest posts