What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updates from CUA

Ball handling has been a issue since about 2001, how many times do we drop the ball in the in our 20? it happens every game for the last 7-8 years.

bigfoot

Juniors
For you guys, Hayne seems to have had a fairly good game albeit with a few expected errors getting used to the role.
Panthers summary will be coming up if anyone is interested.

I know what you guys mean about ball handling, we have been cursed with the same thing for a while too.
Our bigger issue though has been giving away penalties (and not managing to get many in return).

Last edited:

Bigfella

Coach
thanks for the updates

take a deep breath about handling - preseason; wet week; those of us on here didn't even see the game:lol:

strider

Post Whore
thanks for the updates

take a deep breath about handling - preseason; wet week; those of us on here didn't even see the game:lol:
well I don't see why that is of any relevance - never stopped a good bagging in the past :lol:

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Meh, teams always drop the ball early in the season. Even the first few rounds of the comp proper players have trouble with their hands.

Coaches focus on fitness after the off-season and as they get match fitness up then skills sessions take over.

We scored 18 and by all accounts blew two and dropped a bomb in the in-goal. I'm happy enough.

Also can't believe how nervous I was reading this thread! Only a trial too!

bigfoot

Juniors
You have a good point. :p
Only way is up for both sides.
...Actually, if anything we'll only go down, having Elliott as a coach. :lol:

big boppa eel

Juniors
Ill be breathing BF I just hope not in a paper bag, these guys are heart attack material trial or no trial, as you said early days yet though still a concern.

Meh, teams always drop the ball early in the season. Even the first few rounds of the comp proper players have trouble with their hands.

Coaches focus on fitness after the off-season and as they get match fitness up then skills sessions take over.

We scored 18 and by all accounts blew two and dropped a bomb in the in-goal. I'm happy enough.

LOL i hear you, was telling the wife how nervous i was, she thinks im pathetic...

Hurriflatch

Referee

People say that every year and every year in round 24 Parra are still dropping the ball far too often

bigfoot

Juniors
Yeah, same here posting it! :lol:
All in all though I'm fairly happy. Sure we didn't get a win, but you guys aren't pushovers and a loss by 8 isn't that bad considering the players who weren't playing.

Delboy

First Grade
f/t Parra 18-10

Good hit out, Hauraki played well but hands let him down a little, running angles etc as he did before Hagan

At the end, Grothe forced error with big hit , Hayne picked up spilt ball and ran 80 mtrs to score.

Much more ball movement than under Hagan, coach has apparently told them to play what is in front of them a lot more.No injuries, Ben Smith moved to 2nd row when Jono Wright came on, defended with venom.

Will get a review from Stagger , he will no doubt update fully later. Did comment that we wouldn't have beaten a top four side, need to improve in final execution as splits made weren't converted.

NYC a little disappointing, won the games that mattered, NRL and the Junior reps that were for points, Stagger suggests that NYC could be a lean year, need to watch that grade closely as there is a lot of pressure on the coach.

Parra

Referee
At the end, Grothe forced error with big hit

Last year most people seemed to forget just how good Grothe is at this sort of thing. And the hard yards in our own quarter. And the tries he scores that no other player can.

Great to see him back.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
People say that every year and every year in round 24 Parra are still dropping the ball far too often

Not every year.

We were dropping the ball way too often in seasons that we played terrible (02-04, 08) but in the other seasons we were holding the pill just fine at the end of the year.

bigfoot

Juniors
Did comment that we wouldn't have beaten a top four side, need to improve in final execution as splits made weren't converted.
Nothing against you guys, but I honestly believe we'll be in the bottom 4 this year.
Not to mention we were missing our star players.
Still, congratulations, and the only way is up.
Good luck with the rest of your trials, then prepare to be smashed by Penrith in the season proper. :D

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
f/t Parra 18-10
Will get a review from Stagger , he will no doubt update fully later. Did comment that we wouldn't have beaten a top four side

I think you'll find that a Top 4 side wouldn't beat a Top 4 side at this stage of the season, if you know what I mean.

bigfoot

Juniors
Summary for the Panthers, just in case anyone here gives a toss:

Despite the loss tonight some very good things came out of this match for Penrith
- The kicking game and variety provided by both Sammut and Graham was of a high standard and genuine improvement on last year. Our kicking for field position was particularly good. Sammut appeared to balance his game well between the team and his individual efforts.
- The ball got into the hand of our best attacking weapons far more than last season. Flash and Jenko saw a lot of ball in good positions tonightn and that's something to build on.
- Our ruck defence was very solid with only one bust later in the game through that area.
- Shane Elford was a pleasant surprise with how quick he was, including one very nice 20m run through the middle of Parras ruck.
- In the second half Parra tried to test our left side defence which never looked like buckling. Our right side defence was much better in the 2nd half.
- Nathan Smith worked hard, as ever and was a link between the back and the forwrds.
- Lewis looked particularly sharp and nearly busted them a couple of times. Interestingly, he defended in the middle of the ruck.
- No Panther players left the field in injury distress, if there were injuries they weren't the obvious ones where players limp off or worse.
- 2 of Parras 3 tries came from our mistakes which speaks volumes for our defence.
- Remember Petero and Franky Pritchard didn't play so our forward pack will improve when they return.
There should be real hope that this side will take us forward !!! There has clearly been a lot of work done over the summer.