What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Professional Rugby League Coming Soon!!

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I just want to add that there are few people involved in the AMNRL that post on here (Spinner!) that have remained oddly mute with all of this floating around.

druzik

Juniors
I just want to add that there are few people involved in the AMNRL that post on here (Spinner!) that have remained oddly mute with all of this floating around.

Yes this has been one of our other things thats made suspect.

They are not posting on other forums either... except one guy from chicago who knows nothing about it either and is just going on with things as they are in Chicago.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
If you were Spinner and you were involved but wanted to wait until the right time to go public would you go onto a website and tell all? No, you'd be doing what Spinner is doing now, remaining quiet.

druzik

Juniors
If you were Spinner and you were involved but wanted to wait until the right time to go public would you go onto a website and tell all? No, you'd be doing what Spinner is doing now, remaining quiet.

Maybe, maybe not... in the past people from the USA including spinner, have been willing to come on and push ideas and promote, even before anything proper was set up why change now all of a sudden?

... and hell this is Rugby League... the worst sport there is when it comes to keeping things quiet. You seriously think that there would not have been leaks about this somewhere by now, that tit bits of info haven't been released somewhere... :roll: I know how this sport works.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors

Would he not come on and say stuff is happening but i can not comment on anything as of yet???

romeocbarsharks

Juniors
I think what Rugby League USA is trying to achieve is exciting stuff for the sport in our region (Atlantic). I think there is a lot of work being done that many are not aware of and we all might be in for a pleasant surprize. A professional Rugby League comp. would cause interest in the sport to explode further in Jamaica and tempt other islands to pick up the sport.
People laughed at us when we said we would start playing League in Jamaica, its been 5 years. The poetential is unlimited...maybe one day Jamaican club in the professional US league...mm its a time for big dreams fellas.

Poul

Juniors
Look... one day...

yes we all kow this, but teams are being artificially created where the sport just does not exists and has zero profil. ....................

I hadn't seen nor heard any references previously to the proposed draft and the timing of the pre-draft camp and draft announcement, nor the Rugby League reality television show/documentary. I apologise (sp?) if this is "old" news :eek:
Until we see where the teams are going to be placed, I don't think we can say that the sport has "zero" profile in that location. Specifically, I'm thinking of Jacksonville, where even from afar, it would seem that there is at least "some" public awareness of the sport of Rugby League. It's only pure speculation on my part, but I would think that an "investor" would want to have his/her team in a city where there was already some support and/or the potential for significantly increased support. At the moment I think that might include, Jacksonville, Washington DC, Philadelphia, New York, Connecticut ( I know this is a state), and maybe Boston on the east coast. There is the implication that there will be west coast team/s involved (personally I wouldn't have gone there in the proposed format), so I would think that would mean Los Angeles. Houston in Texas or Chicago in Illinois, could be other options in order to have a truly "national" Rugby League.
I also think this proposal is very ambitious, and even if it gets off the ground, it could still well fall flat on its @rse, just like the example given of ice hockey in the UK. I sincerely hope this is the start of something very big, and will not be death riding it. One day I hope to be able to return to watch the Kangaroos play the Tomahawks in the USA, in a truly competitive match, in front of 20,000+ knowledgeable (sp?) fans.

druzik

Juniors
I think what Rugby League USA is trying to achieve is exciting stuff for the sport in our region (Atlantic). I think there is a lot of work being done that many are not aware of and we all might be in for a pleasant surprize. A professional Rugby League comp. would cause interest in the sport to explode further in Jamaica and tempt other islands to pick up the sport.
People laughed at us when we said we would start playing League in Jamaica, its been 5 years. The poetential is unlimited...maybe one day Jamaican club in the professional US league...mm its a time for big dreams fellas.

Romeo, I agree that its exciting stuff... and as always fans and people are kept in the dark about things... no other sport does this... it seems that Rugby league always loved to do the 'I have a secret charade'... and then the 'oh I'll hint at something'. It annoys fans as we want to have input and know what the hell is going on.

But there is a right way and a wrong way about going to do things... RL more often than not does things the wrong way, and I serverly hope this is not the case in America, because everything sofar seems to have the small of the wrong way about it... I truly hope I am wrong I really do.

ut tell me how would a pro comp in the US stimulate people in jamaica or Cuba to take it up... if they never have heard or seen it before?

I know the work you guys have doen in jamaica is great... I love it and hopw to get over and see League in Jamaica one day... but a word to the wise, dont put all you eggs in the one basket.

druzik

Juniors
I hadn't seen nor heard any references previously to the proposed draft and the timing of the pre-draft camp and draft announcement, nor the Rugby League reality television show/documentary. I apologise (sp?) if this is "old" news :eek:
Until we see where the teams are going to be placed, I don't think we can say that the sport has "zero" profile in that location. Specifically, I'm thinking of Jacksonville, where even from afar, it would seem that there is at least "some" public awareness of the sport of Rugby League. It's only pure speculation on my part, but I would think that an "investor" would want to have his/her team in a city where there was already some support and/or the potential for significantly increased support. At the moment I think that might include, Jacksonville, Washington DC, Philadelphia, New York, Connecticut ( I know this is a state), and maybe Boston on the east coast. There is the implication that there will be west coast team/s involved (personally I wouldn't have gone there in the proposed format), so I would think that would mean Los Angeles. Houston in Texas or Chicago in Illinois, could be other options in order to have a truly "national" Rugby League.
I also think this proposal is very ambitious, and even if it gets off the ground, it could still well fall flat on its @rse, just like the example given of ice hockey in the UK. I sincerely hope this is the start of something very big, and will not be death riding it. One day I hope to be able to return to watch the Kangaroos play the Tomahawks in the USA, in a truly competitive match, in front of 20,000+ knowledgeable (sp?) fans.

But in the east the sport does have a small profile to build on already, in the wast it doesnt.

Look I say we just wait and see... its all speculation so far.

romeocbarsharks

Juniors
Romeo, I agree that its exciting stuff... and as always fans and people are kept in the dark about things... no other sport does this... it seems that Rugby league always loved to do the 'I have a secret charade'... and then the 'oh I'll hint at something'. It annoys fans as we want to have input and know what the hell is going on.

But there is a right way and a wrong way about going to do things... RL more often than not does things the wrong way, and I serverly hope this is not the case in America, because everything sofar seems to have the small of the wrong way about it... I truly hope I am wrong I really do.

ut tell me how would a pro comp in the US stimulate people in jamaica or Cuba to take it up... if they never have heard or seen it before?

I know the work you guys have doen in jamaica is great... I love it and hopw to get over and see League in Jamaica one day... but a word to the wise, dont put all you eggs in the one basket.

I am with you Druzik, howver from my experience in Jamaica, as a part of the management team, we sometimes have a plan and we speak too early..then we get lots of negative comments when we dont deliver when people want or expect us to..so we starting keeping certain imformation guarded..until the actual thing happened, eg. our league told the players we would outfit every club..we got cussed out because we didnt come through when they wanted us to..but we did come through and do what we promised...but I know what you mean about the speculation..but like the guys have said, more to be announced soon...

No eggs either, just excited by the ambition of the Americans and inspired by it, whatever happens, its bold and progressive thinking.

People in Jamaica know about a little about "Rugby", especially in the Capital (Union has been there for 40 years). Many of the best athletes wont play because there is no pyramid to 'success', whilst there is a clear path in football, basketball and athletics ...a Pro League in the states could encourage more participation because kids would see a ladder to progress up. You see, Jamaica is called the "51st" state of the Union, lol. There are more Jamaicans living in the US than in Jamaica and sport is sen as a big vehicle for mobility...Cuba..I'm clueless...other islands..like Trinidad and Tobago and Guyana..might be similarly inspired, they have strong RU tradition...hopefully will discover RL sooner than later.

u need to link me on comimg over to Jamaica...

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
I have no doubt it could happen if everyone pulls together and makes it happen.

I do have a bit of doubt that everyone in RL will ever pull together though.

joshreading

Staff member
The suggestion that the cities will need previous RL profile is WAY OVERESTIMATING the profile of the amnrl. Aside from the Jax Axe, most AMNRL is park footy. (The fact that Jax went from no team to easily biggest profile team before even starting the AMNRL is evidence of what can be done with the right work)

Having a team in Philadelphia gives RL no more profile than the present profile of RL in Los Angeles. Arguably due to the large Pacific/Kiwi/Australian population in LA, there is more knowledge of RL there than most places. (this is CERTAINLY the case with places such as Utah - potential City there I think)

The pro comp do doubt is trying to build on the base of RU anyway rather than the profile and base of the AMNRL. RU in California could nearly no doubt put together a stronger RL side than any of the present AMNRL teams.

joshreading

Staff member
Ps. How good would it be to see a Jamaican side in the US comp. I would imagine that would do WONDERS for both Jamaica and the US. Now just to find the right backers. Romeo - there must be someone with money that would find something like this appealing? Cheap way into USA Pro competition.

joshreading

Staff member
btw - Whilst I am at it - I think an intial low key start before going in fairly large is important to ensuring the RU don't react by forcing a Pro RU comp. (which might knee cap any RL attempt) If RL can get up without any opposition - atleast for a couple years max will give it a HUGE advantage.

The potential to expand RL is massive if this were to get up. Imagine if it were to get up - with requirements unless drafted from elsewhere players are preferably picked from 'feeder leagues' - RU players and players from other sports are FAR more likely to give RL a go if they are specifically aiming at trying to make pro, or even if they think they are half a chance.

RedVee

First Grade
Texas and Arizona are not 'towns', are not on the East Coast and there is no RL played in either of those states :)

Someone mentioned that there might be an LA team though I think, so can't see them going with two California teams. Provided the whole thing is real, of course.

Arhh, yep I know that Texas and Arizona are States. Just a bit of artistic licence there.

I think he might mean that Texas and Arizona are the kind of towns (places) that might suit RL. I think.

Yep.
just thinking if they go NRL they may be thinking of other spots for teams to get away from "east coast game" type comments. If so, then where? I pulled Texas, Arizona & California out of my, arhh, hat due to the numbers of Aussie sportsmen (Golfers, tennis players etc) that tend to migrate to those areas (+ Florida) for the Aussie feel.
Florida is taken by Jacksonville I'd assume. The others added due to the above and for the very fact that they are not covered yet and are not on the East Coast leading to a National RL image. I didnt pay any attention at all to the fact nothing is going on there yet as I think the difference between nothing and the general knowledge of RL in the States that have teams is not very much ................

Pure fantasy work on my part.

druzik

Juniors
I am with you Druzik, howver from my experience in Jamaica, as a part of the management team, we sometimes have a plan and we speak too early..then we get lots of negative comments when we dont deliver when people want or expect us to..so we starting keeping certain imformation guarded..until the actual thing happened, eg. our league told the players we would outfit every club..we got cussed out because we didnt come through when they wanted us to..but we did come through and do what we promised...but I know what you mean about the speculation..but like the guys have said, more to be announced soon...

Romeo its rugby league... no matter what RL will always draw the sh*t stireres and dog kickers. People will criticise RL where ever they can

romeocgarsharks said:
No eggs either, just excited by the ambition of the Americans and inspired by it, whatever happens, its bold and progressive thinking.

It is bold no doubt there... I am just worried thats all... as I have said previous I hope I am wrong and shown that pro league works... I'll be the forst to say it and congratulate it.

romeocbarsharks said:
People in Jamaica know about a little about "Rugby", especially in the Capital (Union has been there for 40 years). Many of the best athletes wont play because there is no pyramid to 'success', whilst there is a clear path in football, basketball and athletics ...a Pro League in the states could encourage more participation because kids would see a ladder to progress up. You see, Jamaica is called the "51st" state of the Union, lol. There are more Jamaicans living in the US than in Jamaica and sport is sen as a big vehicle for mobility...Cuba..I'm clueless...other islands..like Trinidad and Tobago and Guyana..might be similarly inspired, they have strong RU tradition...hopefully will discover RL sooner than later.

Fair enough comments... your better placed there to know what the deal is. Keep us informed there mate.

romeocbarsharks said:
u need to link me on comimg over to Jamaica...

Yup... first I need to get a new job sorted, the one in germany ends in may... then once I have that I will look to head to the US for holidays, I have family in Florida and Texas so should be easy enouh to get down to jamaica for a weeknd of matches. :)

BTW Romeo, you have my email, can you send me this years Domestic fixture list and internationals for Jamaica for my website?

deluded pom?

Coach
I'm sure many of us are more than aware of rugby league's track record on this kind of development but my view is if you don't try something then you'll never know if it will succeed or fail. Going back to the ice hockey example you have to realise that this is the UK and we don't exactly have a rink on every street corner so any junior development would be minimal due to the lack of ice available for training and games purposes. Those crowds that the Manchester Storm drew were on the back of hype. An emperor's new clothes sport which was quickly found out. Rugby league would be far easier to underpin with the basics needed to play the game readily available. A saying in the UK is "suck it and see". The people in the AMNRL that I have contacted are in the same boat as ourselves. They know very little either but Da Bulls keeps dripping titbits of information out so obviously this concept is coming from a David Niu direction and we all know how forthcoming Mr Niu is.

druzik

Juniors
I'm sure many of us are more than aware of rugby league's track record on this kind of development but my view is if you don't try something then you'll never know if it will succeed or fail. Going back to the ice hockey example you have to realise that this is the UK and we don't exactly have a rink on every street corner so any junior development would be minimal due to the lack of ice available for training and games purposes. Those crowds that the Manchester Storm drew were on the back of hype. An emperor's new clothes sport which was quickly found out. Rugby league would be far easier to underpin with the basics needed to play the game readily available. A saying in the UK is "suck it and see". The people in the AMNRL that I have contacted are in the same boat as ourselves. They know very little either but Da Bulls keeps dripping titbits of information out so obviously this concept is coming from a David Niu direction and we all know how forthcoming Mr Niu is.

Yup I know what you mean... but RL is like this all round the world.

Yeah I see your point DP... you cant fail if you dont try...

OK... I'm gonna put a self imposed exile on this subject for the time being till we hear more.

There is no point speculating or anything till there is more info... I have signed up for the newsletters though my website so at the moment am in the same boat as everyone else.

Latest posts