What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Professional Rugby League Coming Soon!!

Poul

Juniors
It certainly is curious though. If it isn't just a way to engage the fans (which is a good idea) then what really could be made of an internet poll?

Jax have put a link promoting the poll so in some regard they must take it seriously. Maybe the money from TV (it is being promoted as a 'made for TV' competition) will cover expenses wherever it goes.

I wish some more substantial info would come out. I find the fact that Jax Axe are still ''applying for a team" when there City has been mentioned as a certainty a little disconcerting. I certainly hope this comes off

It's also curious that last week the USNRL "identified" 14 cities which may be able to host a franchise. There are 12 cities listed in the poll. Of these, 2 are from outside the original list (Phoenix AZ., Houston TX.) and 4 have not been considered (San Fransisco CA., Las Vegas NV., Dallas TX., Pittsburgh PA.). The omission of San Fransisco is surprising, as I would have thought the "rugby" culture would be relatively strong here, and it also has a large population. Phoenix I think makes more sense than Las Vegas, and I am unsure of the relative merits of the two Texan cities over one another.
Perhaps those in charge have already decided on a certain number of franchise locations, but want to be able to guage public response for the undecided locations. With this in mind, perhaps it would be best to vote for the city that you think should have a franchise, and may be in danger of missing out, rather than the city that you most favour. I don't see Jacksonville missing out, but there is a real danger that Washington DC might.

roopy

Referee
The USNRL site needs an active forum.
US fans looking at what the game is about on the net should find an active forum.

joshreading

Staff member
Ok for the discussions sake. What names would you propose. It is clear that Jacksonville Axemen will keep their name but what about others.

Philadelphia Rebels (or Rebellion) - Philly Rebels?
Jacksonville Axemen (a given)
Boston Braves (can they use this? - They did as have others before)
New York Battalion? (something maybe the Metros - that has soccer background but history hmmm. www.nyknights.com was registered this year on the same day as nrlus.com - coincidence?
LA Warriors? (would help with the large Pac/NZ population) - not sure about Golden States response
Denver Posse (go well with the Broncos etc)

Any other ideas?

Last edited:

Poul

Juniors
I've just submitted my vote for Washington DC. I think the capital should definitely have a team. It's a big city with some "rugby" culture, with two AMNRL teams (Slayers, Eagles) in its environs. Currently Washington is 5th in the poll (admittedly with only a small number of votes), with Jacksonville, not surprisingly, way out in front. Boston is also polling well. Whether this poll will have any bearing on the placement of the franchises, ... who knows? But I do think it is a good way to try to engage the potential fans, even distant ones such as myself.
Get your vote (www.nrlus.com) in now. :-k

It looks as if there may be some "campaigning" happening ;-)
With just under 550 votes, Philadelphia has now surged to the lead with @22% of the vote, followed by Jacksonville with @20%, and Washington with @9%. It'll be interesting to see how long the poll will stay up, and what the final count will be, and if it ends up having any influence at all on the final franchise locations.
If you haven't already voted, do so now (www.nrlus.com)

RedVee

First Grade
I'm in, as a DC Slayers "fan" - I've voted Washington DC.
Plus with two AMNRL teams in the area it seems a natural choice.

Poul

Juniors
I'm in, as a DC Slayers "fan" - I've voted Washington DC.
Plus with two AMNRL teams in the area it seems a natural choice.

Although I confess to being a "fan" of the "Washington" AMNRL teams, I voted for a Washington US NRL franchise location because of the strategic importance I believe the capital has for the proposed competition.
Despite earlier reports in this thread that there were firstly 6 ( Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Jacksonville, Los Angeles, Denver) selected as "definite" franchise locations, with the addition of 2 others (San Franscisco, San Diego) to complete the total of 8 locations, and 2 (East and West) conferences, I am somewhat doubtful that this is truly the case. Especially when San Fransisco, a supposed "starter" in the Western conference isn't even listed in the US NRL poll. IMO only 3 cities (New York, Philadelphia, Jacksonville) are likely to be "definite" starters, and also Los Angeles if the competition is going to be truly "national". Other than those I think the rest of the spots are up for grabs. What the deciding criteria will be, I don't know, but I don't think it can hurt to have a good poll vote percentage.
So make sure you vote with your head :-k and not your heart :hg: (www.nrlus.com)

coach

a few things is the tv deal done and why does the forum they have not work.

It half works and hasn't.

I am a member of the forum and would love to respond to the "sticky" messages but can't.

But I can respond to the others.

coach

It looks as if there may be some "campaigning" happening ;-)
With just under 550 votes, Philadelphia has now surged to the lead with @22% of the vote, followed by Jacksonville with @20%, and Washington with @9%. It'll be interesting to see how long the poll will stay up, and what the final count will be, and if it ends up having any influence at all on the final franchise locations.
If you haven't already voted, do so now (www.nrlus.com)

I don't know whether to take the poll seriously or not. Actually I don't know whether to take the whole NRLUS thing as being serious or not. Nothing I have heard or read in the past month or so gives me any confidence that it will even kick off let alone succeed. I was waiting for April 1st to come with some thought it was all an April fools day joke. That day has come and past but it still would not surprise me if this is some sort of a joke.

But back to the vote. Will the final vote have anything to say where the 8 teams are based? If it does then this competition will be a joke. You can't set up a competition based on a internet vote.

Evil Homer

Staff member
But back to the vote. Will the final vote have anything to say where the 8 teams are based? If it does then this competition will be a joke. You can't set up a competition based on a internet vote.
First thing you've said on this thread that I agree with. I think it's fairly obvious that the poll will have no bearing whatsoever, and it's pretty ridiculous to even suggest that it will. At least I hope so.

I don't know whether to take the poll seriously or not. Actually I don't know whether to take the whole NRLUS thing as being serious or not. Nothing I have heard or read in the past month or so gives me any confidence that it will even kick off let alone succeed. I was waiting for April 1st to come with some thought it was all an April fools day joke. That day has come and past but it still would not surprise me if this is some sort of a joke.

Well, they don't need to convince you. They need to convince a TV broadcast partner and a number of team owners to come on board.

No one has the details of either the broadcast negotiations or negotiations with the owners who will be potentially taking up the franchises. The only people who do have the details are those who matter in making this happen.

The rest of us just have to wait and see what happens.

I doubt that's what they're doing - probably more about drumming up interest in the site. They've already stated that they are looking at an individual club ownership model - presumably they have been looking for expressions of interest from various potential owners/investors in different areas.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

I doubt that. IMO it's just a way to make sure that they're making the right decisions. If there was one city that got 60% of the vote but they weren't planning on giving a team too they might reconsider.

coach

I doubt that. IMO it's just a way to make sure that they're making the right decisions. If there was one city that got 60% of the vote but they weren't planning on giving a team too they might reconsider.

IMO the vote should have zero input to any decision they make on the teams. The poll is open to anyone around the world who wants to vote. People can vote without any real thought put in to it. Many people may treat the vote as a joke.

My feeling is that its just a fun thing to get people interested in the competition. Well I hope it is anyway.

Latest posts