What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V Panthers

possm

Coach
This year the Dragons have managed to lift and comfortably win against the Roosters and the Storm. Unfortunately they lost to Souths however, I expect them to surprise everyone and really perform against the Panthers. Like I've said many times before, the Dragons need to sort out their defensive structure on the right edge, if they can do this for next Saturday's game against the Panthers, I think they will win comfortably. In my opinion the failure of the right edge in defence sucks the motivation and energy from the rest of the team. We have a very good defensive structure on our left edge with Sims, Widdop, Lafai all helping Macdonald keep it tight. Maybe for this game, we should switch Frizell and De Belin in defence. I can't see us losing anything up the middle with Frizell but can see us maybe improving our right edge defence with De Belin's better lateral movement.

Frank Facer

First Grade
This year the Dragons have managed to lift and comfortably win against the Roosters and the Storm. Unfortunately they lost to Souths however, I expect them to surprise everyone and really perform against the Panthers. Like I've said many times before, the Dragons need to sort out their defensive structure on the right edge, if they can do this for next Saturday's game against the Panthers, I think they will win comfortably. In my opinion the failure of the right edge in defence sucks the motivation and energy from the rest of the team. We have a very good defensive structure on our left edge with Sims, Widdop, Lafai all helping Macdonald keep it tight. Maybe for this game, we should switch Frizell and De Belin in defence. I can't see us losing anything up the middle with Frizell but can see us maybe improving our right edge defence with De Belin's better lateral movement.
DeBelin must stay in the middle. He is one of the best middle defenders in the game.

SBD82

Coach
Maybe for this game, we should switch Frizell and De Belin in defence. I can't see us losing anything up the middle with Frizell but can see us maybe improving our right edge defence with De Belin's better lateral movement.
I just can't see why you would move the best performing middle defender in the game onto an edge.

SBD82

Coach
If Sims and RCG continue the ‘the Battle of the Cousins’ from last time the teams met, well that would be worth the price of admission alone.
I'd forgotten about that. Shame they're not both playing in the middle. Hopefully they come together at some stage.

This Year?

Immortal
They are a good sign with a very good home record & will be tough for us to beat.
I do have some doubt's about the strength of their form. They have beaten the Knights,Dogs,Titans,Eels(twice),Cowboys,Bunnies(early in season). Whilst losing to Cowboys,Sharks & Dogs.

This is the thing that gets me.Those losses were against teams that stuck it to them up the middle. If we are at our best I think we can win the forward battle then hopefully the backs can convert it to points. If we don't it will be a long night.

superpanther

Juniors
Panthers 2nd highest missed tackles team. Maloney has missed 75 tackles in 11 games.

Most ill disciplined team in the comp.
Panthers number 1 team to concede the most penalties.116 penalties conceded in 11 games.

Dragons to win by 13+

to be honest would not surprise me if there was a blow out!!!!!

SEAT 1A

Bench
This is going to be another huge game pre origin with bye next week.
First part of the year could not have gone much better, the team has played against the more fancied teams that should make the eight and come away on top.

One more big game for the SOO hopefuls and a win on Sat night would give the team some breathing space, a huge confidence boost and a break that is needed and I hope they can forget about the footy.

Saintsified

Bench
I think people are just looking for reasons we will lose rather than why we will win.

Glass half empty v glass half full.

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb-18030841nh.jpg

GAME DAY

Game day information: Round 12
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 22 May 2018, 02:17 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons will take on the Penrith Panthers at Panthers Stadium on Saturday, May 26.

Gates open: 5pm
NRL kick-off: 7:30pm

Broadcast: Live on Fox League

RED V MEMBERSHIP

Member access

Red V Members do not have access to this game with their membership.

Click here to purchase tickets

*Surcharges apply*

Adult

Concession

Junior

Family

Diamond

$45

$35

$35

$125

Gold

$40

$30

$25

$105

Silver

$35

$25

$20

$90

GA

$25

$15

$10

$60

Platinum

Allocation exhausted

MERCHANDISE

Shop and Huts

Open

Close

Dragons Team Store

Leagues Club

10am

4pm

Dragons wearing

Alternate jersey

TRANSPORT

A bus stop and taxi rank are located at the front of Panthers Penrith Leagues Club, directly opposite Panthers Stadium, on Mulgoa Road.

The nearest railway station is Penrith, approximately a 10-minute walk from Panthers Stadium.

Free but limited parking is available within the grounds of Panthers Penrith Leagues Club and in the streets surrounding Panthers Stadium.

The small car park located on the western side of Panthers Stadium is reserved for disabled parking. To gain access a valid disabled parking sticker must be displayed.

Paid parking is available at the following locations:

• Penrith Cricket Club: Entry off Station Street - $5
  • Penrith Paceway: Entry off Ransley Street - $5
  • For large games ONLY – Parkland Station Street: $4 to Wallacia Fire Brigade - entry off Jamison Road or Woodriff Street

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/05/22/game-day-information-round-12/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons eyes firmly on on Penrith as State of Origin approaches
Local Sport
r0_48_4322_2488_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Team-first: Dragons halfback Ben Hunt. Picture: AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts.

St George Illawarra’s clash with Penrith on Saturday night may be shaping as a final Origin audition, but Dragons players won’t be treating it that way.

Played just two days before the NSW and Queensland State of Origin team announcements, as many as 12 Origin players will feature in the top of the table clash at Panthers Stadium.

For the Dragons however, this weekend is about returning to the form that sent the side to the top of the competition ladder.

With Ben Hunt set to feature for Queensland and Tyson Frizell, Jack de Belin, Euan Aitken, Cameron McInnes, Paul Vaughan and Tariq Sims all NSW contenders, St George Illawarra will likely be undermanned throughout the upcoming six weeks.

A victory over Penrith could see the side skip four points clear at the top of the table, should South Sydney defeat the Warriors, providing the Dragons with added breathing room heading into the Origin period.

“Any wins around this period of the year, they’re always really important, especially around Origin time,” Kurt Mann said from Wollongong Hospital ahead of this weekend’s Beanies for Brain Cancer Round.

“The way a few of our boys are playing, we’re likely going to lose a few of them during Origin period, and any wins you can get around this time of year are always good.”

Typically a backline utility, Mann has taken on a new role for the Dragons this season, coming off the bench and playing as a forward through the middle of the field.

It’s a role he has enjoyed, but there is every chance Mann will find himself back in the number seven jersey should Ben Hunt receive a Queensland call up as expected.

“I haven’t really spoken to Mary about anything around Origin, it’s week by week at the moment and once the time comes, I’m pretty sure we’ll have a chat about it.

“I did a little bit of training in the halves in the preseason, but not much now. If Benny gets injured I’ll do a couple of sessions there, depending on how he’s pulled up from the weekend.”

While Hunt is likely to feature for the Maroons, the Dragons will come up against a potential Blues halves pairing in James Maloney and Nathan Cleary, not that Maloney is treating the match as an Origin audition.

"I think my footy has been good all this year,” Maloney told Sky Sports Radio on Tuesday morning.

“I don’t think I've got anything to prove this week, I think the footy I've played over the last 11 rounds is good enough to show what I've got to offer. Most people know what I've got to offer anyway.”

Origin audition or not, Dragons centre Tim Lafai knows the team will have to deliver an improved performance this weekend to shut down Maloney and Cleary.

“It was a messy game from us against Canberra,” Lafai said. “To get the two points was a good feeling. We’re just focused on this week and fixing a few little things we need to work on.

“We made too many errors against Canberrra, against the good teams like Penrith, you can’t afford to give too much ball away, that’s one focus we’ve got to work on.”

“They’ve got a good backline and there’s a reason why they’re in the top four on the ladder, so we’ve got to do our homework on them all across the field.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ly-on-on-penrith-as-origin-approaches/?cs=302