What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Val Holmes set to join the NFL - Sharks grant release

nick87

Coach
So
The question still stands
Do think it is unreasonable for the captain to be pissed off?
It actually just looks like because you hate Gallen that you are making this more than it is.

I do think it's unreasonable, this is a business. Has been for years, clubs AND players have been operating in that manner for a number of years now including your own, and if anyone thinks Gallen wouldnt break a contract if he was the right situation enticed him, then they're f**king morons.

As for hating Gallen, i don't really hate anyone, i can objectively see his career has been marred by half a dozen incidents that would call into question his integrity and have called into question the integrity of the game, and i would suggest anyone with his history might be wise to stick a f**king sock in it regarding integrity least they appear to be gigantic hypocrites.

I would also suggest, that Gallen could do anything he likes and not a single sharks fan would ever dame to criticise him, so your bias is probably at greater play here than mine. As evidenced by the attempts to deflect the sharks, their fans and their captain being more than happy to be the recipients of a man breaking his contract and less than a year later have the audacity to pretend that contracts should mean something.

Quicksilver

Bench
I would also suggest, that Gallen could do anything he likes and not a single sharks fan would ever dame to criticise him, so your bias is probably at greater play here than mine. As evidenced by the attempts to deflect the sharks, their fans and their captain being more than happy to be the recipients of a man breaking his contract and less than a year later have the audacity to pretend that contracts should mean something.
Deary me.

Hang out with a lot of Sharks fans do you internet boy?

I talk with actual real people. Many Sharks fans have been highly critical of some of Gallen’s past shenanigans. Doesn’t make him wrong on this one though. Val f**ked the club over. That’s the truth.

carcharias

Immortal
I do think it's unreasonable, this is a business. Has been for years, clubs AND players have been operating in that manner for a number of years now including your own, and if anyone thinks Gallen wouldnt break a contract if he was the right situation enticed him, then they're f**king morons.

As for hating Gallen, i don't really hate anyone, i can objectively see his career has been marred by half a dozen incidents that would call into question his integrity and have called into question the integrity of the game, and i would suggest anyone with his history might be wise to stick a f**king sock in it regarding integrity least they appear to be gigantic hypocrites.

So you think it’s unreasonable for the captain to be pissed off when the clubs best player just bails out without telling anyone?

Am I reading this right?

carcharias

Immortal
Deary me.

Hang out with a lot of Sharks fans do you internet boy?

I talk with actual real people. Many Sharks fans have been highly critical of some of Gallen’s past shenanigans. Doesn’t make him wrong on this one though. Val f**ked the club over. That’s the truth.

It must be said Gallen isn’t exactly the most adored player we’ve ever had.

nick87

Coach
So you think it’s unreasonable for the captain to be pissed off when the clubs best player just bails out without telling anyone?

Am I reading this right?
i think given his own personal history with integrity, and manner in which his club has conducted itself, yes it’s unreasonable for him to be so vocally pissed off about this.

I don’t know how many more ways I can say it, haha. I’ve done what I can for you, it’s up to you from here.

nick87

Coach
The simple reality here is this

Club's get out deals all the time. This game is now a business. And both players and clubs know and play it.

Every year, every club has at least one player who is 'shopped' to other clubs because they're unhappy with the contractual terms they're agreed to.

Why is the onus on the players to provide a club absolute honesty and loyalty when the clubs are as cutthroat as they've ever been and they don’t have ANY issues twisting arms to get players they no longer value to leave their club to free up money and roster spaces for new players?

Holmes doesn’t owe the Sharks a damn thing, and if he signed a 5 year, 5 million dollar deal, and for some reason in 2 years’ time they felt it was advantageous to ‘shop’ him and his contract to other clubs, they’d do it in a heartbeat and they wouldn't give the faintest shit about how the timing of that worked for Val and his family.

carcharias

Immortal
i think given his own personal history with integrity, and manner in which his club has conducted itself, yes it’s unreasonable for him to be so vocally pissed off about this.

I don’t know how many more ways I can say it, haha. I’ve done what I can for you, it’s up to you from here.

Good god

What a load of bullshit.

carcharias

Immortal
The simple reality here is this

Club's get out deals all the time. This game is now a business. And both players and clubs know and play it.

Every year, every club has at least one player who is 'shopped' to other clubs because they're unhappy with the contractual terms they're agreed to.

Why is the onus on the players to provide a club absolute honesty and loyalty when the clubs are as cutthroat as they've ever been and they don’t have ANY issues twisting arms to get players they no longer value to leave their club to free up money and roster spaces for new players?

Holmes doesn’t owe the Sharks a damn thing, and if he signed a 5 year, 5 million dollar deal, and for some reason in 2 years’ time they felt it was advantageous to ‘shop’ him and his contract to other clubs, they’d do it in a heartbeat and they wouldn't give the faintest shit about how the timing of that worked for Val and his family.

Good god

What a bigger load of bullshit.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Seems kinda on point though.
Gallen lacks any integrity and the contract scenario happens multiple times per year.

Roosters rule

Juniors
What a mongrel Holmes is. He can rush out and do a interview yesterday with the Telegraph but he doesn't have the decency to face up and talk to Flanagan.

King hit

Coach
Gallen is 100% right.

Just a shame the peptide shit kinda taints his comments.

the comments would have been more relevant if someone with integrity said them, say like Gordon Tallis......

People just see Gallen's name and that just sends them insane. I even have meet people that want the Sharks to die because of him.

Tallis is the biggest deadshit calling sport in the country

typicalfan

Coach
In all honesty he did better than i thought he ever would... after the preseason i thought he was gonna do something real special...

Then he got on the field with all the bright lights and looked like an absolute nuffy...

It was certainly a great achievement... but what that young Mailata kid from the Bunnies NYC team has done at the Eagles has been miles bigger than what Hayne did IMO...
I don't think the bright lights were the issue. Hayne is a seasoned professional who knows the weight of expectation from his NRL career. He didn't look like a nuffy in the pre season he looked like potential and possibly a good return guy and depth RB if he continued to work at it. Maybe he didn't work hard enough? Wouldn't be the first time.

If Holmes makes the 53 man roster I think more elite players may try their hand in the future.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Whilst Gallen is no angel, he can absolutely talk about loyalty.

300 odd games one club and has taken less money to stay at times.

That said I do not agree with him, but he is allowed his opinion.

Fire

First Grade
the sharks paid leeds a transfer fee to sweetn the deal.

cronulla shouldn't have released holmes.
Was he released?

95% certain Val terminates his contract and pays damages to Cronulla.

If Cronulla released him they’re stupid and Gallen (having some influence as club captain) really can’t comment.

All “ifs”, I know.

shiznit

Coach
He started at RB in 1 game, and took snaps at RB in several others.

So yes, he did play a down.

As for punt returning not counting as a down.... I’d also be interested to know what you think 4th DOWN is
Yeah good point...

I guess I think I’m looming at it as a down on offense.... since he was a RB.

I think i looked at it similar to RL in a sense that we look at it as a 0 tackle...

But your 100% spot on... it’s still a down.

Danish

Referee
Yeah good point...

I guess I think I’m looming at it as a down on offense.... since he was a RB.

I think i looked at it similar to RL in a sense that we look at it as a 0 tackle...

But your 100% spot on... it’s still a down.

Its funny to look at his stats. Career like 20 odd runs for about 70 odd yards over 8 games.

I honestly think if he’d stuck it out he could have become quite serviceable... but he got his head in the clouds about Olympic glory pipe dreams and f**ked off (mind you, the court case might have had something to do with that sudden “dream” too)

Latest posts