What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VALE

Nutz

Bench
ALBERT FENECH
1703092342777.jpg
Mario is mourning the death of his father Albert Fenech as the NRL icon fights his own debilitating health battle. Fenech's brother Stephen, a well-known tech journalist, announced the heartbreaking news on social media on Monday.

Stephen revealed that his 85-year-old father had only recently been diagnosed with motor neurone disease. "The population of heaven increased by one when my father Albert passed away peacefully overnight just a few short months after being diagnosed with motor neuron disease," he wrote alongside a number of photos of Albert and his family.

A Very sad passing of Albert.
My Respect goes out to the entire Fenech family.
Proud Australians with Maltese heritage...
The Maltese Falcon

Nutz

Bench
In Memory of Carl Webb

32cda6c707312790ba972fa99e9a716b.jpg
Queensland State of Origin star Carl Webb passes away after battle with motor neurone disease
The rugby league world is in mourning following the death of Queensland Origin forward Carl Webb, less than four years after he was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease.

This in sad. Another succumbs to this aweful disease.
Rest in Peace big fella.

Nutz

Bench
Vale John "Snoozer" Elford

SmartSelect_20240209-201507_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Rugby league great who fought for player rights dies aged 76.
A one-club man who played more than 100 games for his beloved Western Suburbs. A NSW and Australian representative, a beach sprint champion, and a passionate fighter for players rights.
Rest in peace mate.

Nutz

Bench
In Memory of
Ian Heads OAM
20240326_084307.jpg

He wrote for Sydney’s Daily and Sunday Telegraphs, Rugby League Week, the Sydney Morning Herald and the Sun-Herald, while also authoring more than 40 Rugby League biographies and histories, including the Centenary History of Rugby League (2008).

He was honoured with an OAM in 2010 for service to the media as a sports journalist, author and mentor, and was inducted into the Sydney Cricket Ground Media Hall of Honour in 2014.

Our loss is Heaven's gain.

Condolences to all those who were close to him...rest in peace Ian.

Tigerm

First Grade
Balmain Tigers tweeted
1934-2024.
It is with profound sadness that the Balmain Tigers Rugby League Football Club acknowledge the passing of the great Keith “golden boots”Barnes.

The career of Keith ‘Golden Boots’ Barnes is integral not only to the Balmain Tigers but to the Australian Rugby League and the game.
——————
How f**king sad, I still remember him playing at LO, old Golden Boots, actually worked for him at Balmain LC, thorough gentleman.
IMG_0727.jpeg

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
In Memory
of
Kieth Barnes AM
“Keith was one of the greatest fullbacks the game has seen,” Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V’landys said.

1440547165564.jpg
Hall of Fame #44
“A wonderful goal-kicker and prolific point scorer, he was slight in stature but built with extraordinary courage.

One of the nicest man I've had the privilege to meet and chat to.
God bless you mate and I'm sure your next journey will be an awesome one, you deserve it.
To those who were closest to him, my deepest condolences.
RIP Keith.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
'68? You probably remember he retired at the end of '67 and came back as captain coach for the second half of the 68 season when we ran out of troops
That half rings a bell, but it could be Tinnitus these days also hahaha

Das Hassler

Bench
From an article today quoting from David Middleton's book...

The iconic moment has been recorded as follows in the official Rugby League Annual, written by David Middleton.

May 29, 1960 – Balmain fullback Keith “Golden Boots” Barnes kicks one of the game’s greatest goals in a club match against St George at Leichhardt Oval. From a penalty, Barnes lines up the kick, six metres inside his own half and out wide. Saints captain Ken Kearney replaces himself on the mark with giant second-rower Norm Provan. Barnes moves back a further three metres and lands the goal with ease. Balmain win 19-15.

As a kid I was lucky enough to see him kick a similar one at the old sydney sports ground ( on the site of whatever the football stadium is called now) looking into the sun as the ground ran east / west in those days...own side of halfway near the LH touchline...Len Killeen who succeeded KB as kicker could also kick them from that far out on a good day

Tigerm

First Grade
From an article today quoting from David Middleton's book...

The iconic moment has been recorded as follows in the official Rugby League Annual, written by David Middleton.

May 29, 1960 – Balmain fullback Keith “Golden Boots” Barnes kicks one of the game’s greatest goals in a club match against St George at Leichhardt Oval. From a penalty, Barnes lines up the kick, six metres inside his own half and out wide. Saints captain Ken Kearney replaces himself on the mark with giant second-rower Norm Provan. Barnes moves back a further three metres and lands the goal with ease. Balmain win 19-15.

As a kid I was lucky enough to see him kick a similar one at the old sydney sports ground ( on the site of whatever the football stadium is called now) looking into the sun as the ground ran east / west in those days...own side of halfway near the LH touchline...Len Killeen who succeeded KB as kicker could also kick them from that far out on a good day