What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VALE

Tigerm

First Grade
Vale John Spencer, was my neighbour back in the day.

Wests Tigers would like to extend its condolences to the family of John “Spook” Spencer following his recent passing.

The Balmain great passed away on Thursday, aged 74, after battling a long illness.

A hard-working back-rower, Spencer was one of the heroes of the Balmain “Miracle of 1969”, where the Tigers upset South Sydney to claim the premiership.

Spencer played for New South Wales in 1969 before becoming the captain of the club during the mid-1970s.

Following his stint with Balmain, he took on a player-coach position with Waratah Mayfield in the Newcastle competition in 1976.

He was inducted into the Balmain Tigers Hall of Fame in 2011.

The thoughts of all at Wests Tigers are with John's family at this time.

Tigerm

First Grade
Vale Leo Nosworthy

Wests Tigers are saddened by the loss of former Balmain player and Coach Leo Nosworthy, who passed away this week aged 93.

Born in 1927, Nosworthy played for Balmain in the late 1940's and 1950's, before becoming a very successful captain-coach at Dubbo and Narramine.

He would return to the Tigers as a coach in the 1960's — first coaching in third-grade before coaching Balmain's reserve-grade side to the Premiership in 1967.

In 1969, he was appointed Coach of the first-grade side in place of the retired Keith Barnes and immediately took Balmain to Premiership success — defeating South Sydney 11-2 in what would be the Tigers' final Grand Final win.

Das Hassler

Bench
He was the real deal Balmain working class toughness that the present day myth is built on ....i"ll throw up if our administration comes out with yet another "he represented what WT is all about "
RIP coach ...honoured to have been there to witness his finest 80 minutes Sept 20 1969

Tigerm

First Grade
Vale Peter Dimond

Dimond was 82.

Known for his toughness, Dimond represented both the Magpies and the Kangaroos as a winger and a centre, while also playing in the second row and at five-eighth at times throughout his career.

Having impressed for Country against City in 1957, Dimond joined Western Suburbs in 1958 and went on to play 165 games for the Magpies, which also included his international debut for Australia at just 19 years of age.

He is the only player to appear in four Grand Finals for Wests and, at the time he left the club, was the Magpies' record try-scorer with 83 tries.

Dimond's legacy was honoured with his selection in the Western Suburbs Team of the Century in 2004 — named on the wing — while he was also inducted as an inaugural member of the Western Suburbs Hall of Fame in 2008.

Dimond was also named in the Wests Tigers Team of the Century — comprising of the greatest Balmain and Western Suburbs players.

gordsy

Juniors
I don't know about "Spook" but I do remember my dad telling me what a tough player Diamond was. He said he was a better player than most people thought. The memory is hazy but I do remember dad saying he should have played more tests but his him being silly on the drink kept him out of the kangaroo team. I do recall him saying that about manshake McDougall's dad as well.

Tigerm

First Grade
Wests Tigers are deeply saddened by the passing of former Director and Chairman Mike Bailey OAM, who passed away peacefully surrounded by his family on Sunday, 20th June.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
Sad news on Olsen Filipaina. He was one of my favourite players as a kid. I've got a footy card of him somewhere. Rest in peace you hard bastard.

Latest posts