What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Victorian sentiment

big_matt

Juniors
Channel 9 treat victorian viewers with contempt, and regardless of what you think of the Storm, channel 9 are seriously holding back the interest in the game of rugby league in victoria (and the development of the game nationally is good for us all).

Take our first final against manly. Channel 9 don't show it in Vic but they also block fox sports from showing it live. Surely there should be rules that if you don't show a game you cant also block other stations from showing it.

I'm from the UK and have found sports coverage over here on the tv to be a bit of a joke anyway in general but channel 9 is the worst. I went to Sydney for the game (Storm fan) but for those who couldn't afford the trip or were ill or whatever I feel terrible that they couldn't even see their team lift the trophy and collect their medals. Time to start voting against channel 9 with the remote!

The funniest part is they show the adverts for the live finals down here but then we don't get the games. "Hey, look what we're showing next week - except for you guys"

Perth Red

Post Whore
No better in WA. We will never be able to grow our game unless we get it in front of people and convert them through osmosis!

Ch9 and the NRL's lack of strategy are the two things holding the game back from spreading across the country.

truganini

Juniors
There's plenty holding the NRL from expansion. 1. AFL is growing faster and a good game I might add. 2. NRL off field misdemeanours. 3. Suportors dont akt to inteligant.

Captian_Klutz

Juniors
I like to look at TV rateings in Victoria, and they seem to increase on average about 5k for every big game - which includes SOO, Big tests and finals games.
We are slowly making ground down there, and the new stadium, new lower grade sides and the great team they have are all contributing.
I'm really hopeing for 350k people having watched the GF in Victoria.
Should get that and then some.

Alot of friends watched it in pubs though

m0nty

Juniors
I was watching on Nein Melbourne and yes, they did scroll the news announcement across the bottom of the screen.

MsStorm

Bench
I was watching on Nein Melbourne and yes, they did scroll the news announcement across the bottom of the screen.

Well not the feed we got at Etihad stadium where storm supporters met to watch the game. People just booed when ch.9 cut to the news at 7.00 pm!

taipan

Referee
There's plenty holding the NRL from expansion. 1. AFL is growing faster and a good game I might add. 2. NRL off field misdemeanours. 3. Suportors dont akt to inteligant.

A good game ;-),yet still got outrated on Tv for the G/F by the NRL.Off field misdemeanours :lol:.Brendon Fevola gave one of the best impressions of an AFL academic at the Brownnoses.Ask John Elliot about off field hijinx and how money, can get you off anything.Money for nothing and teh chicks are free.
Your last point No3 is a self description no doubt.

Loudstrat

Coach
There's plenty holding the NRL from expansion. 1. AFL is growing faster and a good game I might add.
Where is it growing? BTW Euchre is also a good game. AFL however is sh*t

2. NRL off field misdemeanours.
AFL off field misdemeanours.
3. Suportors dont akt to inteligant.
:lol; Surely a pisstake, suckt a fyoo in alreddy.

Still, unless you are talking about Perth Red, I don't think League fans are seen as unintelligent outside the heartland when you have AFL fans top compare them to. Given that NSW creamed everyone in the NAPLAN tests, it's hard to think League fans were unintelligent at all. Having said that, Queensland were clear cut last in NAPLAN.......but you'd expect that!

joshreading

Staff member
Very true.

RL has always existed in Victoria (well since it was 'invented') but it's level of participation has wavered from nearly non-existant to the level about now (the highest it has been).

Unfortunately that is not the case, Rugby League has had a stop start life in Victoria. It died out in the mid twenties and did not arise for nearly 50 years.

_Johnsy

Referee
I was surprised at the pathetic turnout at the airport to welcome them home, I heard on the radio a headcount of 12 was taken, however reported on ABC website as 50.

Doug2234

First Grade
Nine really have to go!! They are holding the game back and are becoming a f**king joke!

They have the chance to show it coast to coast for full day coverage but they dont seem to have the brains to pull it off. They could even commanded something like the SuperBowl halftime with advertisements from companies paying mega $$$$$ for Ch 9 and the NRL but they dont promote anything of the sorts!!

Instead, we get a cross to f**king Darryl Sommers sitting on a lounge talking about Hey Hey its Wednesday pretending to be at home with a few girls walking around in bikinis!!! I thought i had changed channels by mistake when i saw that wank! No half time analysis or stats just Darryl f**king Sommers head

AuckMel

Bench

I saw that as well and thought, nah, surely if the Storm win they'd stay at the ground. I was wrong and they remain a bunch of pricks.

Lambretta

First Grade
I'd like to know how long it took for the the Swans to have Born and bred players.. How many are there now? Anyone know?

The Swans had 7 NSW players from a starting roster of 35 for 2009

Kieran Jack (Pennant Hills)
Lewis Roberts-Thomson (North Shore)
Henry Playfair (North Shore)
Jarrad McVeigh (Pennant Hills)
Brett Kirk (North Albury - not Sydney, NSW border w/ Victoria)
Craig Bolton (Eastlake)
Craig Bird (Nelson Bay)

This number of New South Welshmen at the club has been growing very slowly for a few years. I believe when they got to the Grand Final in 1996 that there were only one or two Sydney players plus Paul Kelly from Wagga in that side. Although I might be wrong there.