What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vs Bulldogs Rd 18 2024

Meth

Staff member
It’s a bit of a blur, but can somebody remind me what the outcome of Ford’s charge down in GP was? I can’t remember where that sits in the sequence of events.

This is not a Ford hate point. It’s more a question regarding the merits of a charge down in that situation.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

i think Leka did more on attack at the centre position in that game than Pompey has done in 5 years.
I look at the attitude of this kid in the time he played, and man it was spot on. He wanted to be out there. He eyed up his first carry, ran straight at Hayward to make his mark. He looked assured, calm and focused. That chase to ankle tap the defender before Pompey knocked the ball free was a big hustle play. Being alive and ready to take the ball off Burton's missed droppie spoke to being aware enough to stay in the game.

We've had hundreds of kids with talent who wasted it but in this short stint I saw a lot that says this guy is built a bit different in all respects. I can't remember a more promising Warriors debut. Last one I do remember was Locke circa 2009 v the Tigers at home, and that didn't end well

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/h...t/news-story/5048f6dddb10397c5a26f04c07eb047f

Some news coverage but nothing will happen, bunker will keep sticking it to us.
Can't get the 2 points back we got deprived of.
Nah and I'm usually so reluctant to blame refs, but we were absolutely robbed of two points, and probably now our season. Ok, that's because we haven't been good enough, not only on the park but in the coaches box. I accept that. And what I also accept is human error, with referees. If they miss things in real time, I'm ok with it. I get it.

But Adam Gee has had a f**king nightmare. We get a shoulder charge called back 3 plays on Montoya (rightly) but there's a guy lying on the ground pissing blood and our guy also having his head attended to, it was clearly late, but nothing? Then the NRL rub salt into the wound by suspending Saelmon which actually doesn't matter a f**k because not only does it not give us a shot at the posts when we deserved one, that suspension means nothing to us...and he's got a broken jaw anyway.

I posted in the main forum that we have a major officiating issue. Rugby union has a laws issue, ours is incompetent officiating of fairly basic laws by comparison.

But honestly, do the NRL care? I get the feeling they don't. It all creates media headlines and drama for their product and that seems to be ok.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think it’s a stretch to claim the NRL is biased specifically against us, but I absolutely do think that in this case the refs might have decided a penalty shot deciding the game wasn’t going to be as exciting as a golden pout finish so they didn’t give the penalty. Which is f**king bullshit no matter which team it ends up favouring because this is rugby league, not the WWE. It’s a genuine contest and entertainment shouldn’t trump that.

sup42

Juniors
I don’t think the season is over yet, but Webster needs to give some of the youngsters more game time. Halasima was brilliant and should get more game time. Apart from him I haven’t seen anyone else who really stands out. Ale, Sif**kula and Laban look like good depth cover at this stage but not an upgrade on those we already have.

All good points and the standard approach.
The season is not over.
We usually wait till it is a dead rubber and then blood players.

Might be time for a new model after the C and B teams gave it a good crack? ergo selecting the new blood is not necessarily a concession of defeat? Last weeks NSW showing was horrible but not representative of their season. You tend to get that in cup, guys that are missing out on the motivation of the NRL eventually drop off.

Certainly realist candidates for NRL slots are Moala and Ali. Dimitric is rebuilding well from that knee, he is well ahead of where most guys with that injury are after a small handful of games. I expect Dimitric will be hitting his straps soon too.

I am not strongly advocating for change. I actually am very conservative about introducing these kinds of young players. But the energy they bring and the prep for the future is starting to feel tempting....It would be a shame to do it with nothing for them to play for, they deserve better.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I think it’s a stretch to claim the NRL is biased specifically against us, but I absolutely do think that in this case the refs might have decided a penalty shot deciding the game wasn’t going to be as exciting as a golden pout finish so they didn’t give the penalty. Which is f**king bullshit no matter which team it ends up favouring because this is rugby league, not the WWE. It’s a genuine contest and entertainment shouldn’t trump that.
Even if they do award the penalty, there are no guarantees for that being the final outcome either, we saw that a couple of hours later when the Cowboys gave away a penalty to go down by 2, then Drinkwater knocked over a 2 pointer like it was nothing, Burton easily had that capability too, we will never know

You’re right though, every club in the NRL think there is a bias against them with the whistle. I fell asleep near the end so had to catch up with it afterwards, only thing I can think of, is they can’t intervene on a headclash ? Even though he could have been done for late contact as well. Going back to Tago on Walsh head clash early in the year, was that called a penalty ?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Even if they do award the penalty, there are no guarantees for that being the final outcome either, we saw that a couple of hours later when the Cowboys gave away a penalty to go down by 2, then Drinkwater knocked over a 2 pointer like it was nothing, Burton easily had that capability too, we will never know

You’re right though, every club in the NRL think there is a bias against them with the whistle. I fell asleep near the end so had to catch up with it afterwards, only thing I can think of, is they can’t intervene on a headclash ? Even though he could have been done for late contact as well. Going back to Tago on Walsh head clash early in the year, was that called a penalty ?
The fact that Salmon was cited and charged for the incident clearly shows it was a penaliseable offence which should/could have been pulled up IMO, and yes I believe it was for late contact. So it’s baffling that the bunker clearly looked at it at the time, decided “nothing to see here” and it was only the match review committee that decided otherwise despite fans and commentators calling it at the time.

Big Marn

Bench

We had one last year with either niukore or barnett. Ref said accidental but its hit him in head so it was a penalty. Consistently inconsistent....

nswarrior

Juniors
Forget the referees, they make some mistakes and home ground teams get some calls their way.

Our season fell away with losses to St George, Gold Coast, Newcastle and then a thrashing from Gold Coast. Yes, every team has some bad days but good teams don’t lose 66-6 to the bottom of the table team.

I think it is better we don’t make the 8 as some genuine team issues need to be fixed - have I mentioned the slowest backline in the competition- there are several stats that show this. We have the fewest long range tries in the comp. We also need more mobility in the 2nd row.

Kearney used to love recruiting 2nd rowers and now we have converted most of our 2nd rowers into props, Niukore, Barnett, and even Ford

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
We had one last year with either niukore or barnett. Ref said accidental but its hit him in head so it was a penalty. Consistently inconsistent....
Yep, had the same within 5mins in our game the other night as well, no try and penalty because Saab was deemed to tackle a player in the air, then at the other end Talau taken by Feldt left to play on

Blair

Coach
The NRL need to be careful with their officiating problems as supporters may lose confidence - and the will - to spend good money attending games.

I know I wasn't going, even if I could. It's 60-70 bucks, and I wasn't confident we'd get good, clean calls if it got close.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm still confused - Salmon is suspended for two games for dangerous contact, but Annesley says that is because it was a late hit, not high. But Salmon's head makes contact with TMM's, how is that not high contact? Surely contact is contact no matter how you initiate it?

Either way, it was a woeful call. Annersley says Gee made the error because he was looking at high contact, not the lateness. Yeezus, refs can't even walk and chew gum. I saw both and I'd been drinking

Big Marn

Bench
It’s a bit of a blur, but can somebody remind me what the outcome of Ford’s charge down in GP was? I can’t remember where that sits in the sequence of events.

This is not a Ford hate point. It’s more a question regarding the merits of a charge down in that situation.
burton was 40 out. Well within his range. If no charge down the game may have ended earlier, or he may have missed it. Ford was desperately unlucky not to recover the ball. The bounce of the ball favoured the dogs unfortunately.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach

He chased the charge down with his usual headless chook enthusiasm and then knocked it on. In a way it perfectly encapsulated him as a player.

Last edited:

taste2taste

Juniors
I would love to see Webby or Cameron George go all out and give the best spray possible to justify a 10k fine
The owner of the Warriors needs to put out one of his famous tweets, the NRL is powerless to fine him.

If the Warriors miss the 8 by 2 pionts ( highly likely) that'll be the time for Webster to go nuclear, I'm not a Warriors fan but you guys get shocking calls every week. I honestly think it's because the refs know that if they make a bad call against the Warriors they won't feel any heat from across the ditch, so every 50/50 calls against the Warriors.

The Warriors have the team to be top 4...but for some reason are sitting 14th. It's hard to win games when you're playing against 14 men :D

The owner of the Warriors needs to put out one of his famous tweets, the NRL is powerless to fine him.

If the Warriors miss the 8 by 2 pionts ( highly likely) that'll be the time for Webster to go nuclear, I'm not a Warriors fan but you guys get shocking calls every week. I honestly think it's because the refs know that if they make a bad call against the Warriors they won't feel any heat from across the ditch, so every 50/50 calls against the Warriors.

The Warriors have the team to be top 4...but for some reason are sitting 14th. It's hard to win games when you're playing against 14 men :D
Our management bend over and take it most of the time. I would like them to be a bit more passionate rather than professional. Imagine if we had no integrity and TMM just laid down until we got a penalty?
We will continue to be the door mat the NRL enjoy stepping on.