What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vs Manly Rd 6

Alan Johnson

Juniors
I didn't see much mention of the Trbojevic try and the disgraceful scenes at the ruck while he was off scoring. Did no one see much of it or just not think much of it?

Lisone is obviously a dumb kid and Gubb, well he's a meathead I'd happily see not play for us again. But for Issac Luke to stand there squaring off while the ball is live, we bought this guy as a leader did we not? I hadn't seen the replay until now and it made my blood boil.

Start being professional for f**k's sake. Or be amateur, and not get paid.

Someone abandoned what was left of the defensive line to run into the fray. Diabolical. Not sure he could have done much to stop the try but when a chap is running past you to score and you head the other way for a futile push and shove ... not good.

I don't mind seeing the Warriors get into fisticuffs, but in the closing stages of a pathetic game like that when you've been well beaten, it just looks weak.

TheDMC

Bench
Did anyone else think Hurrell was square at marker and fully justified to make the tackle?

He waz robbed.

I didn't see much mention of the Trbojevic try and the disgraceful scenes at the ruck while he was off scoring. Did no one see much of it or just not think much of it?

Lisone is obviously a dumb kid and Gubb, well he's a meathead I'd happily see not play for us again. But for Issac Luke to stand there squaring off while the ball is live, we bought this guy as a leader did we not? I hadn't seen the replay until now and it made my blood boil.

Start being professional for f**k's sake. Or be amateur, and not get paid.

It was terrible, Mannering was waving them back, Luke was neither at the fight or in the defensive line.
Then RTS pointed at it all to show the ref the reason he is shit at1 on 1 defensive was the stand off happening.

Rich102

Staff member
League great Brad Fittler has labelled the Warriors "unprofessional" and "sad to watch" after their latest NRL loss.

After putting together back to back wins, the Warriors returned to their sloppy habits as they were humbled 34-18 by the Manly Sea Eagles at Mt Smart Stadium last Saturday night.

The result leaves them with a two-win, four-loss record and drops them down to 13th on the table where their -20 points differential also haunts them following another poor defensive display.

Fittler didn't hold back when assessing the latest effort from the Warriors on The Footy Show.

"If I was a Warriors fan, I wouldn't be going next week," Fittler said as the Warriors prepare to face the Bulldogs in Wellington on Saturday night.

As the scrutiny starts to return to struggling Warriors coach Andrew McFadden, there was little confidence from Fittler about the New Zealand franchise.

"They were terrible. They were just ... I don't know what the problem is there," Fittler lamented of the Warriors.

He said the major difference between the Warriors and Manly was the way the Sea Eagles players played for each other. They weren't great but they gutsed their way out of difficult situations to win a crucial away game in Auckland.

"There was absolutely none of that (from the Warriors)," Fittler said.

"There was some really unprofessional actions by a lot of the team ... penalties, dropped balls, just carelessness coming out of trouble.

"It was quite amazing actually. It was quite sad to watch I thought, that game."

The Warriors are sweating on the future of Queensland prop Jacob Lillyman after he was put on report for a high tackle.

Warriors wing Jonathan Wright lamented the lack of accuracy from the team.

"We sort of lost that ourselves," Wright said in his summation of the loss, admitting the team had "gone away from their processes" under pressure.

"We lost our way in the second half and they were more desperate than us."

But Wright believed the team had shown enough glimpses against Manly to give a blueprint for victory against the Bulldogs.

"When we run the ball hard and hold the ball, we are dangerous. We were making 70m up the field, we have to stick to that."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league...ler-lashes-unprofessional-warriors-after-loss

Rich102

Staff member
Speaking as a staunch Warriors supporter, in my opinion we need Aussies in the Warriors.

Why? Call it character, call it mental toughness, Aussies seem to have it in droves. It's just that there are "Aussie duds" from time to time.

The current crop of Aussies are not the top shelf. We need a General, such as Manly's Jamie Lyon from last week's game.

Look what happened, he employed three man defensive screens to isolate the Warriors' attacking player, and drive him back. What does this do? It causes stress, negative reactions, and promotes errors in handling as a result.

Tuimoala Lolohea dropped that pass on the line because the Warriors were going backwards, and he cracked under the pressure. A simple tactic really, but the art is to employ it with INTENT.

Lyon was pushing Manly players across the advantage line with such aggression, that it threw us off our attack. Frustration then sets in and no matter how hard you try, through frustration, the game is won, because one team has already won the mental battle.

Manly pushed up with their attack through their intent, to aggresively push over the advantage line. A simple but effective tactic.

So yes, we need Aussies, but the right ones. Otherwise, for some reason, be it emotion or mental capacity, we have fall offs. We simply go to sleep.

We’ll have the foot on the throat for a time, then through lack of concentration, sleepy thoughts or whatever it is, the decisive will to win evaporates. Where is the grind for 80 minutes?

We've had great Aussies in the past, like Kevin Campion, Steve Price and Brent Tate. These are the kind of blokes we need. They have intent built in and an aggresiveness of mind to make the right decision at the right time, under pressure.

That is the difference in the weekly battle of NRL, the will to close out a game with skill but also tough bloody mindedness to win.

In saying that, there are players in the Warriors who can reach that level and lead the way, because they have the NRL experience and have won premierships with Aussie teams.

But, until we start winning games consistently, with intent and employment of tactics for 80 minutes, we’ll still need to search for the experienced hard-minded Aussies who have been there, done that.

Anyway, let's go hard Warriors. We've won two, let's kick Bulldog butt next week at the Cake Tin. I'll be right there yelling Warriors!

I’ll always be a loyal fan, up or down, forever! Kia kaha – be strong!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation...rd-minded-Aussies-who-ve-been-there-done-that

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
Warriors managing director Jim Doyle is unhappy with the club's poor start to the NRL season but has defended under-pressure coach Andrew McFadden and says the players need to be more accountable for their below-par performances.

Doyle is disappointed with the Warriors inconsistent form that sees them with just two wins from the opening six rounds but rejects criticism from former Australian test captain Brad Fittler who described Saturday's 34-18 defeat to Manly as "terrible" and "sad to watch".

Speaking on Channel Nine's Sunday Footy Show, Fittler slammed the Warriors' "unprofessional actions" in an error-ridden display against the Sea Eagles and said that if he was a Warriors fan "I wouldn't go next week".

"Obviously we're disappointed as well, when we make errors and put ourselves under pressure," Doyle said in response to Fittler's comments.

"And that's something that the coaching staff are working on with the players so that we can hopefully eliminate them from our game.

"We've got lots of our fans and members who can't wait until next week to see them play better. There's not many of our fans who'd say they don't want to go and watch them next week because that's not a true fan."

Doyle also expressed frustration that McFadden's future continues to be questioned whenever the team fails to perform and believes the players need to shoulder more responsibility for failing to reach the standards the club is aiming for.

"That is frustrating because obviously Cappy (McFadden) didn't drop balls and he didn't miss tackles and therefore our players need to be more and more accountable," he said.

"You can't just (have it so), every time the team goes well the team gets the credit but every time the team doesn't go well the coach gets the blame."

He admits the Warriors have not performed as well as he expected and understands both the high expectations around their star-studded roster and the resulting frustrations that emerge when the side performs poorly.

Despite criticism that the club is still hampered by the same old problems around inconsistency and a lack of mental and defensive steel, Doyle sees positives in the fact they have the players with the talent to help the team improve, and understands it is taking time for new signings Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Issac Luke to settle in alongside chief playmaker Shaun Johnson.

"There has been a lot of things changed obviously," said Doyle. "No, I didn't think we'd be two and four but I know how tough the competition is. I knew that with some of the new players that it would take a little bit of time, that they wouldn't just click and gel straight from day one.

"When you look at the roster that we've got with people like Roger, Issac and others that we've brought in this year, with Shaunand Tui (Lolohea) there's high expectations.

"We'd like to be winning every game but we're still working on as many things as we can to get the team to achieve the heights that we want.

"That's probably one of the things that people both here and Australia (feel). They get frustrated that the Warriors don't always achieve their potential.

"People talk a lot about if the Warriors get it right they can be a real juggernaut and therefore when they don't get it right people get frustrated with it."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11620644

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Someone abandoned what was left of the defensive line to run into the fray. Diabolical. Not sure he could have done much to stop the try but when a chap is running past you to score and you head the other way for a futile push and shove ... not good.

I don't mind seeing the Warriors get into fisticuffs, but in the closing stages of a pathetic game like that when you've been well beaten, it just looks weak.

Absolutely right.

I don't mind someone sticking up for their team-mates and getting into a scuffle, when the f**king play is dead. But both Luke and Lisone looked at the ongoing play, and chose not to get involved in it. Both *could* have shut the play down, and should have tried to. I don't give a shit what the score was. That's a piss poor look and as I say, I was pretty surprised that hasn't been focused on post-match (although the sycophants on SKY wouldn't)

I'm sick to f**king death of players coming out in the media and saying 'they were more desperate than us'. We're supposed to read that sort of thing, then Jim feels he can call us 'not true fans' if we adopt Fittler's mindset and don't come next week?

Matua

Bench
Speaking as a staunch Warriors supporter, in my opinion we need Aussies in the Warriors.

Why? Call it character, call it mental toughness, Aussies seem to have it in droves. It's just that there are "Aussie duds" from time to time.

The current crop of Aussies are not the top shelf. We need a General, such as Manly's Jamie Lyon from last week's game.

Look what happened, he employed three man defensive screens to isolate the Warriors' attacking player, and drive him back. What does this do? It causes stress, negative reactions, and promotes errors in handling as a result.

Tuimoala Lolohea dropped that pass on the line because the Warriors were going backwards, and he cracked under the pressure. A simple tactic really, but the art is to employ it with INTENT.

Lyon was pushing Manly players across the advantage line with such aggression, that it threw us off our attack. Frustration then sets in and no matter how hard you try, through frustration, the game is won, because one team has already won the mental battle.

Manly pushed up with their attack through their intent, to aggresively push over the advantage line. A simple but effective tactic.

So yes, we need Aussies, but the right ones. Otherwise, for some reason, be it emotion or mental capacity, we have fall offs. We simply go to sleep.

We?ll have the foot on the throat for a time, then through lack of concentration, sleepy thoughts or whatever it is, the decisive will to win evaporates. Where is the grind for 80 minutes?

We've had great Aussies in the past, like Kevin Campion, Steve Price and Brent Tate. These are the kind of blokes we need. They have intent built in and an aggresiveness of mind to make the right decision at the right time, under pressure.

That is the difference in the weekly battle of NRL, the will to close out a game with skill but also tough bloody mindedness to win.

In saying that, there are players in the Warriors who can reach that level and lead the way, because they have the NRL experience and have won premierships with Aussie teams.

But, until we start winning games consistently, with intent and employment of tactics for 80 minutes, we?ll still need to search for the experienced hard-minded Aussies who have been there, done that.

Anyway, let's go hard Warriors. We've won two, let's kick Bulldog butt next week at the Cake Tin. I'll be right there yelling Warriors!

I?ll always be a loyal fan, up or down, forever! Kia kaha ? be strong!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation...rd-minded-Aussies-who-ve-been-there-done-that
Is it a rule that some idiot will come out with this rubbish once a calendar year?

The Storm succeed with a NZ dominated pack and many other successful teams in the NRL have Kiwis playing the hard tough experienced role.

We have dud Aussies because there are lots of dud Aussies out there - we've been lucky to get a few awesome ones in Luck, Price and Campion and really good one in Tate.

Blair

Coach
...We're supposed to read that sort of thing, then Jim feels he can call us 'not true fans' if we adopt Fittler's mindset and don't come next week?

Jim would know what kills professional sporting clubs, it's indifference from fans.

When most of them have ceased being angry, pissed off, frustrated, embarrassed, humiliated, shocked, etc, (along with all the good stuff like the sheer joy of leaving the ground after an exciting win) and they simply don't care anymore, then Jim knows it's over.

Matua

Bench
Jim would know what kills professional sporting clubs, it's indifference from fans.

When most of them have ceased being angry, pissed off, frustrated, embarrassed, humiliated, shocked, etc, (along with all the good stuff like the sheer joy of leaving the ground after an exciting win) and they simply don't care anymore, then Jim knows it's over.
Does he?

Also, I get angrier and angrier with the Warriors as weeks pass, at some point that anger will turn to not giving a tutae and I'll just stop watching.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

And what causes indifference in fans? Unprofessional, under-performing sporting clubs. So it's really chicken and egg. None of us have seen a finals match for our side since 2011. I was single then, I'm now married with a child and another on the way. That's f**king light years ago. So we're entitled to vote with our feet. If I don't want to go to games because I believe our side is coached badly, shows examples of giving no shit about the honour of wearing the jersey, is generally unprofessional etc, then that's my right. I don't have to mindlessly buy a membership because if I don't, I'm not loyal nor a true fan. f**k that. I'll still always watch on TV but I'll pay for seats when they are deserved of it - and that has nothing to do with results. It has everything to do with effort.

It really shits me when people like Doyle and others in that environment try and tell us how to be a fan. You worry about running an organisation well, which is your job, and I'll worry about being a fan. I'm a pro Doyle guy but if he's that under the pump that he's coming out with that tripe and the tired old 'coaches don't drop balls and miss tackles' crap, then we're going to have a problem.

Latest posts