What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vulcans v Storm 1st May,1pm (Get down to Mt Smart!!)

Micistm

Bench
Whose brilliant idea was it to shift Locke to five eight? No wonder he looked like he needed to be somewhere else. :crazy:

Seriously? I agree. If you're dropping him to get some Mojo back, get rid of some attitude, stick him in his proper position. He's learning the game. Maybe he'll do a Lockyer in the future and move, but for now just leave him where he's supposed to be IMO

ozbash

Referee
Cause McWade is fullback.

he's played in the halves before but he didnt look like he was enjoying it.

should have put McKinnon at 6.

I,m starting to have serious wonders about Gemmell..

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
hence why i get on the back of the couchies on this forum

too many now support the warriors only and think that classes them as league supporters. the newbies believe league begins and ends with the nrl. anything lower gets spat on. such a shame, cause as you say skin theres some damn good footy not only from the vulcans, but especially from the local comps. local is the heart of league in this country and where future kiwis will come from, yet without much support clubs will die a slow death and those future kiwis will move onto something different, or just give up completely.

still have the best memories of a packed out carlaw on a sunday arvo. being ball boy and peter fue saying boo to me as he was walking off the field, i was so sh*t scared of him and pater i stopped being ball boy and ran to the old lady at the old concrete terrace :lol: id take those days over the nrl any day

Rich102

Staff member

too many now support the warriors only and think that classes them as league supporters. the newbies believe league begins and ends with the nrl. anything lower gets spat on. such a shame, cause as you say skin theres some damn good footy not only from the vulcans, but especially from the local comps. local is the heart of league in this country and where future kiwis will come from, yet without much support clubs will die a slow death and those future kiwis will move onto something different, or just give up completely.

still have the best memories of a packed out carlaw on a sunday arvo. being ball boy and peter fue saying boo to me as he was walking off the field, i was so sh*t scared of him and pater i stopped being ball boy and ran to the old lady at the old concrete terrace :lol: id take those days over the nrl any day

Yep, miss the atmosphere of Carlaw.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
still irks me they didnt do up carlaw, a wasted chance...perfect size for the crowds we get and what a location!

im sure sel at the trident would have been s**tted too...now the poor bastard hardly has anyone in there, gets the vulcans getting down there after games, but other than the regulars and the occasion dog, thats about it for old sel. its an awkward position now with the park there, not quite up to the standards of the new locals
skin, oz or rich...do you know if sel even still owns it, or did he shaft it after the redevelopment?

how good would it be...warriors v eels live from carlaw park haha awesome

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
still irks me they didnt do up carlaw, a wasted chance...perfect size for the crowds we get and what a location!

im sure sel at the trident would have been s**tted too...now the poor bastard hardly has anyone in there, gets the vulcans getting down there after games, but other than the regulars and the occasion dog, thats about it for old sel. its an awkward position now with the park there, not quite up to the standards of the new locals
skin, oz or rich...do you know if sel even still owns it, or did he shaft it after the redevelopment?

how good would it be...warriors v eels live from carlaw park haha awesome

Not sure what you are asking.
I haven't been to the Trident for years, but I did see that it was going to be turned into the HQ of the Peter Snell Institute of Sport:
http://www.propbd.co.nz/afa.asp?idWebPage=8338&idBobDeyProperty_Articles=9397&SID=990211773
As far as I know Sel still owns The Duke of Wellington which was part of the fuss with the NZRL.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/1753402.

The one who misses Carlaw Park the most, other than the fans, is probably Pat Hawkins at the Strand Tavern, on the corner of the Strand and Stanley Street.

I remember night games on the Domain stand, half time rush to get hot chips under the stand from the concession run by the Mt Albert guys. Good times.

Carlaw Park had great atmosphere but was hard to get to and had a real shortage of parking. Of course if the ARL had bought Donaghys rope making site they could have changed things.

I recall that at one stage there was a plan to build a covered stadium at Carlaw to suit RL and concerts. Never happened though.

Mt Smart is a good central location. (Now if only they can get the security guy to open the car park earlier.)

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
ah sh*t it was the strand i was thinking of, of course...for some reason i thought it was the named the trident, which is out south haha

we use to park on the hill between the tennis centre and the museum and walk to carlaw from there. not much of a walk, back in the say had to park further away to walk to jack colvin when it was a home game. use to get some awesome crowds at tat, it was all there was to do on a sunday arvo, the shops werent open, so must have been half the suburb went down to jack.
when tat made the grand finals it was huge for the week, they would parade the players down the main street, all the shops would have 'go the roosters' and streamers all over them. all the schools had comps for who could design the best grand final sign haha classic stuff

Skinner

Coach
The Strand has changed hands several times of late. Rich, the Duke is long gorn...bulldozed by developers. Sel actually sold it to ARL/NZRL some years ago. As an investment of course, it failed, miserably.

Meth

Staff member

Its so arrogant of you to presume people to be couchies

Rich102

Staff member
The Strand has changed hands several times of late. Rich, the Duke is long gorn...bulldozed by developers. Sel actually sold it to ARL/NZRL some years ago. As an investment of course, it failed, miserably.

The Strand was a real character pub. I have never seen such a cross-section of people drinking in one place as in the corner bar. (Not that I drink of course.)
The Duke was a good pub. The Carvery meal was great - very popular at lunchtime. Choice of roasts, big meal with all the trimmings, for $11.50. Mondays, half price, full of pensioners. (And me, if I was in the area.:lol:)
The Trident is in Onehunga. What had me confused was it is not too far from Mt Smart and is/was owned by Sel.
Someday someone will write a book on Sel. I will buy a copy.
Thanks Skinz.

Skinner

Coach
The Strand was a real character pub. I have never seen such a cross-section of people drinking in one place as in the corner bar. (Not that I drink of course.)
The Duke was a good pub. The Carvery meal was great - very popular at lunchtime. Choice of roasts, big meal with all the trimmings, for $11.50. Mondays, half price, full of pensioners. (And me, if I was in the area.:lol:)
The Trident is in Onehunga. What had me confused was it is not too far from Mt Smart and is/was owned by Sel.
Someday someone will write a book on Sel. I will buy a copy.
Thanks Skinz.

hmmmm the Sel and Ivy story would be quite something :lol:

You're right about the Duke. I used to take company guests (mostly septics) there for lunch, as we had a distribution centre at Mt Wellington.

They all enjoyed it.

playdaball

Bench
The Duke - good pub - used to go down on Thursday nights and watch a local band called Ardijah!

The Trident - Last down there about a year ago or longer . Great collection of jerseys in the bar.

Carlaw Park - started going with my father around 1974 - alot of memories - all good. Great club games, 1985 series Kiwis vs Aussie was the one of the best games particularly the 18 - 0 scoreline in the last test. I can still remember the Kiwi, Kiwi chant and Clayton Friend running through the middle of a scrum to score. Played theer as well - the domain RH corner had a rise AKA hill in it.

The Strand - Going for a few beers on Friday starting in Parnell at the Windsor Castle. I didnt even know that it had reopened - may sneak down to the Strand as well.

One last thing ...

Did Sika Manu play against the Vulcans on Saturday? If so how did he go.? Obviously Kearney has alot of faith in him.

Last edited:

Skinner

Coach
Did Sika Manu play against the Vulcans on Saturday? If so how did he go.? Obviously Kearney has alot of faith in him.

On another forum it was mentioned that he went pretty well. There is a fair bit of discussion around whether he should have been included in the squad though.

Meth

Staff member
well get out and watch some local footy, give me a reason to not call you a couchie

What gives you the impression that I don't?

FYI- I can't remember the last Saturday when I wasn't out watching local sport. But that's irrelevant.

My point is that the latest straw that you are clutching at for credibility is making you look like an arrogant tosser who makes assumptions without basis.

And I couldn't care less to give you 'a reason to not call me a couchie'- you're just not that significant

Meth

Staff member
That's the nature of a forum Hoe. If you say stupid things, you get taken to task for them.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
start up a local canterbury thread if you get out and about. actions speak louder than words. keep us informed of whats happening down there. ive only got the one mate down there jaye pukepuke, but hes always bias as towards his side. so be good to get a different view.

i look forward to it meth :D