What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Ownership has no influence on a clubs success with fans in Perth or not that’s a total bs argument

if the club fails in Perth it fails because their isn’t a market for nrl there not bc the bears own it (which is looking very likely )
The failure of the Northern Eagles means there isn't a market for rugby league on the Central Coast.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ownership has no influence on a clubs success with fans in Perth or not that’s a total bs argument

if the club fails in Perth it fails because their isn’t a market for nrl there not bc the bears own it (which is looking very likely )
Load of tosh, perth won’t support a Sydney club. if you think qlnd is parochial you should come visit here!
There’s a market for a perth nrl club here as has been proven countless times. theres not a market for a Sydney club pretending to be a perth club, you’ve got that bit right.

The Great Dane

First Grade
So you’d rather wait 25 years ? What a crazy statement ….and BTW there is zero risk of another Sydney team being added.
Nothing crazy about it at all.

It's better to wait until you can get it right than to rush into something that will almost certainly fail and set you back generations.

Patience is a virtue after all.
IMO - a Perth team is a must for the NRL to be really national. If it means a JV or partnership or a relocation what’s the difference? People should be able to compromise and see the bigger picture.
The problem is that the expectation is on Perth to do all the compromising, when it should be on the Bears.

Couple that with the facts that the Bears aren't really interested in Perth as a market, and simply want to use it as tool to get back into the league, and that this sport has a history of it not working out too well for expansion clubs that the establishment demanded bend over backwards for them, including the Reds BTW, and Perth would be mad to expect a fair go going into a deal with the Bears where they aren't the dominant power.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Perth notwithstanding, the statement 'Ownership has no influence on a club's success with fans' is absolute nonsense.

There're literally countless examples of fanbases revolting against ownership groups. The most recent, serious, example that comes to mind is probably the response most fanbases had to the European Super League last year.

Closer to home, the Raiders had a period about a decade ago where the fanbase and club were openly hostile with each other. Things are heading back that way again for the Raiders to be honest. Other clubs like St. George, Canterbury, the Broncos, and arguably a few more, have had similar problems in recent times as well, though none of them are as crazy as some of the stories you hear from around the world.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Tell the mayor of cairns who is quoted as wanting to have a joint bid with png as another poster was telling you

oh and check out any comments you’ve made about norths. But hey north Sydney … that’s in Queensland

The Mayor of Cairns cannot provide the $250M needed for a NRL stadium, suddenly produce a large supporter base or big corporate backing.

A small regional town of 150,000 is not the next target for expansion in the NRL. Cairns is part of the entire NQ region that supports the Cowboys.

Placing a team there would be dumber than putting yet another in the already saturated Sydney market.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cairns isnt getting an nrl club, png isnt getting an nrl club, Adelaide isnt getting an nrl club, nsw isnt getting another nrl club. End of discussion lol.

Perth, NZ2, Brisbane3. That's the pecking order at mo imo. Hopefully they ask for bids from Perth in next couple of years and lets see whose serious.

Cairns isnt getting an nrl club, png isnt getting an nrl club, Adelaide isnt getting an nrl club, nsw isnt getting another nrl club. End of discussion lol.

Perth, NZ2, Brisbane3. That's the pecking order at mo imo. Hopefully they ask for bids from Perth in next couple of years and lets see whose serious.
Perth probably should have been given the 17th licence if the plan was to introduce Redcliffe as the second Brisbane team in its current format.

Hopefully NZ 2 gets in as the 19th team. Warriors crowds are very good, so there's definitely potential in NZ 2 if it's done right.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth probably should have been given the 17th licence if the plan was to introduce Redcliffe as the second Brisbane team in its current format.

Hopefully NZ 2 gets in as the 19th team. Warriors crowds are very good, so there's definitely potential in NZ 2 if it's done right.
I get why they'd go for a safe option, just coming out of covid and with the other 16 teams reluctance for expansion.
We should probably describe them as the third SEQ team rather than a second Brisbane team given what they are shaping up to be. Called THE, only playing 7 games at Suncorp, partnering for pathways with regional Qlnd etc etc

Wb1234

Referee
The Mayor of Cairns cannot provide the $250M needed for a NRL stadium, suddenly produce a large supporter base or big corporate backing.

A small regional town of 150,000 is not the next target for expansion in the NRL. Cairns is part of the entire NQ region that supports the Cowboys.

Placing a team there would be dumber than putting yet another in the already saturated Sydney market.
Selfish

cowboys might call themselves north qld but how many nrl games have they not played in Townsville ?

Townsville is only the capital of nth qld

a joint bid with png makes a lot of sense down the track the cowboys will survive without it

Wb1234

Referee

They aren’t getting the 18th spot

down the track they well might you don’t know what vlandys vision is for the game

Perth Red

Post Whore
They aren’t getting the 18th spot

down the track they well might you don’t know what vlandys vision is for the game
Who arent? PNG? I agree.
the rest is my opinion. A well informed opinion, but as non of us knows the ARLC vision or strategy that's all it can be at this moment in time.

Wb1234

Referee
'However, he was not aware that the PNG government and its rugby league governing body had planned to announce their bid this week.'

It sounds like PNG are taking him seriously lol.
There’s a previous article too I chose this one cause it’s recent

it was to show cairns want this for all the so called experts on this thread

Wb1234

Referee
Who arent? PNG? I agree.
the rest is my opinion. A well informed opinion, but as non of us knows the ARLC vision or strategy that's all it can be at this moment in time.
Perth
South west Brisbane
Nz2

all in the next ten years.

then a cairns / png team sounds a whole lot more interesting

Canard

Immortal

The Mayor of Cairns is politically motivated to say such a thing. He doesn't have the influence or command the power to make such a thing happen. Even this statement is laughable, "PNG haven't spoken to us, but we would love to be involved!"

Any local Mayor is going to say "Yes, we want a team in the NRL".

In terms of crowds, sponsors, financial backing and stadia Cairns doesn't meet one single piece of criteria.

Games are played in Townsville, because its centrally located for the whole region, and the have a Stadium.

The extent of govt spending for Cairns is that is going to have its lights upgraded for the Olympics

Last edited:

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Guys, I think I have found the solution for a Perth team. Its been staring us (and the NRL) in the face the entire time.....

I present to you the PEnRiTH Panthers.
- They already represent the West, so just extend their juniors pool to the Indian Ocean
- You only need to take out two letters of stitching off the jerseys (cost effective)
- Their colours still incorporate Black, Red, Yellow, and White (with a touch of green/teal)
- Most of their players have already experienced the winning feeling in Perth (2022 NSW Blues)
- Giant leagues club for financial stability

Done Deal!

I get why they'd go for a safe option, just coming out of covid and with the other 16 teams reluctance for expansion.
We should probably describe them as the third SEQ team rather than a second Brisbane team given what they are shaping up to be. Called THE, only playing 7 games at Suncorp, partnering for pathways with regional Qlnd etc etc
It'll be hard for them to create a large fanbase in Redlands, Logan, Ipswich and southern Brisbane now that they're playing five games in Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast.

Guys, I think I have found the solution for a Perth team. Its been staring us (and the NRL) in the face the entire time.....

I present to you the PEnRiTH Panthers.
- They already represent the West, so just extend their juniors pool to the Indian Ocean
- You only need to take out two letters of stitching off the jerseys (cost effective)
- Their colours still incorporate Black, Red, Yellow, and White (with a touch of green/teal)
- Most of their players have already experienced the winning feeling in Perth (2022 NSW Blues)
- Giant leagues club for financial stability

Done Deal!
Perth Panthers is a wonderful idea!

It'll go well with the Perth Wildcats and drive MugaB mad as well. It has my vote. 😁

Perth Red

Post Whore

The mayor wants a new stadium, he knows the only chance is to have content and what better way than host an NRL club. Like the Bears he doesnt care if its PNG or anyone else. The fact PNG launched the latest bid interest and didnt even tell him should tell you all you need to know about what they think of the idea!

He'd be better off getting Cowboys to commit more to the city and getting some Cowboys away games moved there to justify the new stadium. But at the moment the grounds they've got are not fit for NRL so no wonder no one wants to play there. He's in a chicken and egg!

Latest posts