What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think its that likely.

A stand-up comedian with a moderately successful show on basic cable in America is no doubt well off compared to you and me, but he isn't anywhere near Russell Crowe wealth, let alone James Packer.
nor do it, but neither of us know for sure, he might have invested his millions wisely for all we know. Besides it doesnt really matter, a club shouldn't need ongoing massive investment in this day and age. In fact that investment should be short term in order to generate sustainable revenue and eventually see the club return a profit. Clubs not leaching off LC's have done this successfully.

This would be supporters of those Sydney NRL clubs you want dropped/ merged, if their clubs were dropped/ merged.
The free market doesn't believe there's a large amount of people supporting Sydney's lower clubs.

Why is that?

Maybe it's because Cronulla only generate $2.77M in sponsorship revenue?

The companies who've signed on with Cronulla have looked at their attendances, TV ratings, gate receipts and merchandise sales and decided that's all the brand is worth because bugger all people invest their time and money on it.
Meanwhile we have the Cowboys generating $7M from their sponsors in a small regional market. Melbourne generates about $12M.

Are you starting to see the trend?

Teams representing lots of people over a large region are worth more them ones that are locked into a small LGA.

If Sydney's clubs had 30k people attending each game then they would be worth holding onto because they would pay for themselves through sponsorship revenue and gate receipts. The fact remains they're dependent on handouts for survival because they don't have enough fans to be sustainable or valuable to anyone. Losing the few fans they do have won't kill the game because they're too small in number to make a difference either way.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This Sage guy seems like a real smart operator:-

In 2020 he began the process of selling part of the club to the London Football Exchange, a football-based Cryptocurrency exchange, for a price of $30 million.[5][6] The deal fell apart after the founder of LFE was revealed to be using a fake identity, and was actually convicted fraudster James Abbass Biniaz.[7]

And:-

Sage was part owner of the Perth Fashion Festival until it went into administration and ceased operations in 2019. He was also the owner and publisher of the defunct Kurv fashion magazine.[8][9]
He's a pretty shady character by all accounts, however you're being a bit selective. In 2008 he sold a mining lease he paid $20mill for $400mill! In 2010 he sold a copper mine for $135mill after paying $65mill for it. He owns 3 mining companies and numerous subsidiaries. Last year he opened up the new JWD iron ore mine.
He mainly buys and sells mining leases and seems to do pretty well out of it, though his new mine has got him back into the iron ore production game.

Having put $35mill of his own money into Glory he's been looking for co-investment for years but with no success. I wouldn't want him near an NRL club but he is coined. His goal is to own an NRL club, hes registered Perth Quokkas as a name, so he can reduce his running costs for Glory by having administration and facilities shared across both clubs

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
This Sage guy seems like a real smart operator:-

In 2020 he began the process of selling part of the club to the London Football Exchange, a football-based Cryptocurrency exchange, for a price of $30 million.[5][6] The deal fell apart after the founder of LFE was revealed to be using a fake identity, and was actually convicted fraudster James Abbass Biniaz.[7]

And:-

Sage was part owner of the Perth Fashion Festival until it went into administration and ceased operations in 2019. He was also the owner and publisher of the defunct Kurv fashion magazine.[8][9]
Why not just look at how he’s run the Perth glory into the ground

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why not just look at how he’s run the Perth glory into the ground
TBF without him there would be no Perth Glory in all likelihood. Aleague is the problem more so than the Glory. Look at all the clubs. Having said that he has done nothing to endear himself to football fans here and crowds of 16k in the old league's days have dropped away to 8k despite a much better venue.

Thats a worrying trend of Perth clubs

Adds more reason for a backup plan
What about this trend?

It took the Wests Tigers 18 years to get through a season without losing more money than they made. If an interstate club had a record like this then NSWRL fans would see red and demand their expulsion.

Ironically, the only reason the Tigers made a profit in 2018 was due to an increase in sponsorship, which was tied to their handling of the Ivan Cleary situation.

And it was the Ivan Cleary drama that spectacularly led to a late flurry of support from the business sector.​

It shows how important sponsorship is and why most Sydney clubs, including the Tigers, are unfit to compete in the NRL. The brand recognition of the Tigers was so poor it failed to draw enough corporate support to break even for 17 years and relied on a freak incident to draw interest. To borrow MugaB's phrase, the Sydney clubs are "taking from Peter to pay Paul" by relying on the annual grant to cover their inability to finance their day to day operations.

This part from the article sums up the stupidity of having nine RL clubs in the one metropolitan area.

Pascoe returned from a recent trip to the US where he toured different sporting organisations, and they could not believe the competition among clubs in such a small market like Sydney.​
"The Braves were talking about their financial success and how they were driving their income, and they said they were fortunate because a couple of states around them did not have an allocated baseball team, so they aligned themselves with us," Pascoe said.​
"When I told them we had 20 professional sporting organisations within 30 miles of Sydney, they nearly fell off their chair and asked, 'how do you compete?' It's a challenge but I've always said we wanted ot re-engineer, not rebuild this club.''​

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
TBF without him there would be no Perth Glory in all likelihood. Aleague is the problem more so than the Glory. Look at all the clubs. Having said that he has done nothing to endear himself to football fans here and crowds of 16k in the old league's days have dropped away to 8k despite a much better venue.
Plus he only wants an nrl club to defray costs from the glory

hard no

MugaB

Coach
Swans are doing well because they were given a chance to grow without having to compete with eight to ten other clubs for sponsors, fans, media coverage and players. GWS are struggling because the market for fumbleball in Sydney can only support one club. When the NSWRL expanded it more or less forced its clubs out of a small pond and put them in a lake with much bigger fish. More large fish made their way into the lake in 1995, 1998, and 2023 after a few freak floods occurred and allowed them to enter this closed ecosystem. The smaller fish from Sydney are falling further down the food chain.
No shit moron, swans have had the city to themselves... coz all the VFL teams that started their comp are huddled up in melbourne... its the same thing as NRL in sydney and has with the Broncos being able to grow in brisbane, does no one see the similarities between the codes geographically

MugaB

Coach
Who cares if they want to be based in North Sydney? We all want things that we can’t have. In any case, the commission has already come out and stated that they can’t have another Sydney side and to be quite frank that should also mean NSW.

It should either be Perth or another side in NZ, otherwise stay at 17
Or PNG/Cairns

MugaB

Coach
If it wasn’t for the nswrl expansion there would be no nrl
as much as this might upset people the nrl will always reflect this
we’ve had two bosses from Queensland who talked a lot about expansion then wet their pants when the clubs said no.
videotogif_2022.07.06_12.38.02.gif
Who me? I dont even know who the sharks are!

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
What about this trend?

It took the Wests Tigers 18 years to get through a season without losing more money than they made. If an interstate club had a record like this then NSWRL fans would see red and demand their expulsion.

Ironically, the only reason the Tigers made a profit in 2018 was due to an increase in sponsorship, which was tied to their handling of the Ivan Cleary situation.

And it was the Ivan Cleary drama that spectacularly led to a late flurry of support from the business sector.​

It shows how important sponsorship is and why most Sydney clubs, including the Tigers, are unfit to compete in the NRL. The brand recognition of the Tigers was so poor it failed to draw enough corporate support to break even for 17 years and relied on a freak incident to draw interest. To borrow MugaB's phrase, the Sydney clubs are "taking from Peter to pay Paul" by relying on the annual grant to cover their inability to finance their day to day operations.

This part from the article sums up the stupidity of having nine RL clubs in the one metropolitan area.

Pascoe returned from a recent trip to the US where he toured different sporting organisations, and they could not believe the competition among clubs in such a small market like Sydney.​
"The Braves were talking about their financial success and how they were driving their income, and they said they were fortunate because a couple of states around them did not have an allocated baseball team, so they aligned themselves with us," Pascoe said.​
"When I told them we had 20 professional sporting organisations within 30 miles of Sydney, they nearly fell off their chair and asked, 'how do you compete?' It's a challenge but I've always said we wanted ot re-engineer, not rebuild this club.''​
AFL has the same amount of competing clubs in its metropolitan area... if you're going to quote me do it properly and in context..

Plus quote this... GROTD IS A MASSIVE f**kWIT and only chimes in to push his agenda to rationalise sydney, for some fanciful idea that there is only a limited amount of NRL licences, when there is not, and a competition like the NRL can sustain upto 24 teams, which would make NSWs 10 clubs very minimal in percentage of that make up of clubs.. if anything its better to have 9 Sydney teams all fighting over scraps, as it gives the expansion sides a leg up..

To me if I name another 7 expansion areas (obviously not in NSW) and then look at the make up of the competition with all its current 17 teams/licenses

PERTH REDS
ADELAIDE RAMS
PNG/CAIRNS HUNTERS/PRIDE
WEST QLD JETS
CHRISTCHURCH BULLS
WELLINGTON BEARS (NsB)
MELBOURNE ACES

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Cairns makes no sense.

A) It's Cowboys territory.
B) there is no NRL standard stadium. And the QLD govt won't be funding one after spending $250M on the Townsville one

flippikat

Bench
AFL has the same amount of competing clubs in its metropolitan area... if you're going to quote me do it properly and in context..

Plus quote this... GROTD IS A MASSIVE f**kWIT and only chimes in to push his agenda to rationalise sydney, for some fanciful idea that there is only a limited amount of NRL licences, when there is not, and a competition like the NRL can sustain upto 24 teams, which would make NSWs 10 clubs very minimal in percentage of that make up of clubs.. if anything its better to have 9 Sydney teams all fighting over scraps, as it gives the expansion sides a leg up..

To me if I name another 7 expansion areas (obviously not in NSW) and then look at the make up of the competition with all its current 17 teams/licenses

PERTH REDS
ADELAIDE RAMS
PNG/CAIRNS HUNTERS/PRIDE
WEST QLD JETS
CHRISTCHURCH BULLS
WELLINGTON BEARS (NsB)
MELBOURNE ACES

You're kidding me, right?

We don't want Sydney's cast-offs sent here to Wellington.

No way will we cheer for a team in red & black, either. If you knew your NZ sports history, you'll know we've suffered for decades at the hands of teams in those colours.

Wb1234

Referee
You're kidding me, right?

We don't want Sydney's cast-offs sent here to Wellington.

No way will we cheer for a team in red & black, either. If you knew your NZ sports history, you'll know we've suffered for decades at the hands of teams in those colours.
It’ll be a Christchurch based team anyway
The cake tin is a terrible stadium for any type of rugby

Wellington will get two or three games tops

more clubs should go back to selling games to nz but the problem is crowd wise the warriors are one of the more popular clubs in Australia

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’ll be a Christchurch based team anyway
The cake tin is a terrible stadium for any type of rugby

Wellington will get two or three games tops

more clubs should go back to selling games to nz but the problem is crowd wise the warriors are one of the more popular clubs in Australia
There is no potential bidders yet from christchurch come forward, only chambers who want to base the orcas in Wellington with couple of games in Christchurch.

Latest posts