What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sure, but it won't be set up right...

The only way the Bears will agree is if they are steering the ship, and as soon as they have control their concerns will come first at which point Perth will just be an avenue through which to get the Bears back into the comp.

In theory joining with the Bears may get Perth into the comp quicker, especially with the current administration in charge, but the potential downsides aren't worth it. Perth are better off biding their time and getting it right than selling their souls to get a team that has a high chance of devolving into constant power struggles and/or treating Perth as an inconvenient necessity.

In other words Perth doesn't need the Bears, so why complicate things by creating an ill thought out merger?
That’s pretty easy to sort out first up. Agree to a 20%/80% ownership model and only ever one home game in sydney or no deal. Perth is holding all the cards here. Like you said they dont really need the bears other than to appeal to the current chairmans short sightedness and he won’t be in charge forever.

the risk for perth is that if nz2 is the preferred choice up till now and we miss out again. It could realistically be 20 years before we get go to a 20 club comp, if ever.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe not ownership of the brand, but I understand what you are saying.

The only way it should happen is if Norths are minority partners who have no say in the day to day running of the NRL side and effectively just agree to let them use their assets and feeder system.

That's it, no power on the board, no home games in Sydney, no say in business decisions, just the above take it or leave it.

Of course they'll never agree to such a deal so it's a waste of time to even discuss it.
Nor should they tbf. One seat on the board to represent their interests and one game in Sydney to engage whatever fanbase is there is a fair trade off imo that doesn’t dilute a perth identity.

I can't see the league going with such a bid - I think their expansion plans are about new teams fully located in new areas i.e Perth / NZ South Island for an example and not some hybrid arrangement.

If 18 teams it would still be 24 games - so 12 home games or 11 depending if magic round is still going by then.

Norths have 2 years to go on being the feeder team (NSW Cup) for the Sydney Roosters - Maybe better of sticking with this and having pathways for Norths Juniors to play NRL and NRLW with the Roosters who also have an agreement with the Central Coast - Central Coast Roosters

If you'd actually read my posts I have said numerous times that I am not in support of the Bears/Perth merger, and prefer a stand alone team in WA, I've always felt this.
I've lived there and was a supporter of their first time round.
To be truthful, I think most people from Sydney in this thread have said pretty much the same thing.
My personal thought are: No teams to be kicked out, and hopefully in my lifetime a 24 team competition, with no more Sydney teams.
Lets leave it at that.
On the first page of this thread there was support for the proposition. After that people such as yourself spoke about the benefits of a standalone bid getting the licence.

Is Australia capable of supporting twenty-four clubs with nine in Sydney?

I believe we would need serious investment from the lucrative East Asian market to have the funds to support so many teams. Australia is a relatively small market with a dying manufacturing base and a fragmented media that's being swallowed up by American broadcasting networks.

To get East Asian entrepreneurs to invest in our league we would need to become relevant to people who live in East Asia. That would require us to regularly take games to Indonesia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Macau, Taiwan and China. Our game's elite players would need to travel there to talk with the media so that they can become known to locals. From this our players can be used by local companies to promote their brands.

With Sydney being the largest market we could see businessmen buying a stake in its nine clubs, with the goal to use them as a means of promoting their products.

Our administration should look at involving more Australians of East Asian descent in our game, especially on the administrative and broadcasting side. Instead of having so many white women presenting the games on Foxtel and Ch9, let's have people of East Asian descent present the pre-game and post-game shows so that we can broaden our fanbase.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Nor should they tbf. One seat on the board to represent their interests and one game in Sydney to engage whatever fanbase is there is a fair trade off imo that doesn’t dilute a perth identity.
Straight away you've undermined the club's identity as a Perth club.

Do the Swans play games in Melbourne, Lakers in Minneapolis, Rams in Cleveland or St. Louis etc, etc?! No they don't.

Why don't they do that; because keeping their finger in the old market's pie makes it look like they aren't committed to the new market and that they want to keep the old market as a backup should things go sour in the new one, and that's commercial cancer.

Besides, if the first game in Sydney was successful there'd soon be demand for more, and once the precedent had been set there'd be no rational argument against more games in Sydney so long as they're profitable.
At that point you'd have people, both internally and externally (such discussion in the media is also commercial cancer BTW), arguing that any game that they believe would or could be more successful in Sydney should be played in Sydney, at which point it's inevitable that more games would be moved to Sydney given time.

In pursuit of maximising profits the club would kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

On the first page of this thread there was support for the proposition. After that people such as yourself spoke about the benefits of a standalone bid getting the licence.

Is Australia capable of supporting twenty-four clubs with nine in Sydney?

I believe we would need serious investment from the lucrative East Asian market to have the funds to support so many teams. Australia is a relatively small market with a dying manufacturing base and a fragmented media that's being swallowed up by American broadcasting networks.

To get East Asian entrepreneurs to invest in our league we would need to become relevant to people who live in East Asia. That would require us to regularly take games to Indonesia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Macau, Taiwan and China. Our game's elite players would need to travel there to talk with the media so that they can become known to locals. From this our players can be used by local companies to promote their brands.

With Sydney being the largest market we could see businessmen buying a stake in its nine clubs, with the goal to use them as a means of promoting their products.

Our administration should look at involving more Australians of East Asian descent in our game, especially on the administrative and broadcasting side. Instead of having so many white women presenting the games on Foxtel and Ch9, let's have people of East Asian descent present the pre-game and post-game shows so that we can broaden our fanbase.
The 24 team projection is for another thread. The basis of it is that the NRL eventually becomes the premier "Rugby" competition in the world, where all elite players of League and/or Union strive to play in.
Probably would never happen, but that is what I'd hope the NRL would have aspirations of being.
Another thread, another time.

If nothing else, at least a WA team has put their face more into the picture now to take away focus from other bids that are too sounding things out.

Canard

Immortal
Because they are coined and want sports tourism and max use of their stadium investments
There is no votes in lobbying for an NRL club in politics (or any professional sports team), surely?

Given all the other infrastructure spends needed like hospitals, schools etc? This would not be a vote winner. Have they publicly announced this policy?

I know this forum skews Boomer, so it loves nostalgia, but after a quarter of a century the Bears brand has no value and isn't recognised by anyone under 40 and nationally.

Lastly, as I said I don't believe this article or anything to do with the Bears returning to the NRL to be genuine.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
That’s pretty easy to sort out first up. Agree to a 20%/80% ownership model and only ever one home game in sydney or no deal. Perth is holding all the cards here. Like you said they dont really need the bears other than to appeal to the current chairmans short sightedness and he won’t be in charge forever.

the risk for perth is that if nz2 is the preferred choice up till now and we miss out again. It could realistically be 20 years before we get go to a 20 club comp, if ever.
Agree with all of this.

plus if they add Perth now then it’s a certainty they are going to 20 as brisbane south west is locked on for a team then they will need nz2 to get rid of the bye

that 20 team comp will be better than the 20 team comp the arl had in 1995 so the game is set to reclaim its mantle as undeniably the number one sport

this comp would be a huge threat to both afl and rugby union all over the pacific including nz

they just need to ensure the dragons move to the gong pretty much full time and the tigers stay at Campbelltown and they’ve sorted out the mess super league created in Sydney

Wb1234

Referee
The 24 team projection is for another thread. The basis of it is that the NRL eventually becomes the premier "Rugby" competition in the world, where all elite players of League and/or Union strive to play in.
Probably would never happen, but that is what I'd hope the NRL would have aspirations of being.
Another thread, another time.

If nothing else, at least a WA team has put their face more into the picture now to take away focus from other bids that are too sounding things out.
Nrl is already the elite global rugby comp. The only thing stopping it from signing any union player is the salary cap. With the growth in the nrl the cap should end up at 20 million per club

union has been struggling with the wages they pay their players hence the move to private equity. Though I wonder how many elite union players really could add much to the nrl given their wages.

the strategy of getting them as juniors is a much better solution

MugaB

Coach
Nrl is already the elite global rugby comp. The only thing stopping it from signing any union player is the salary cap. With the growth in the nrl the cap should end up at 20 million per club

union has been struggling with the wages they pay their players hence the move to private equity. Though I wonder how many elite union players really could add much to the nrl given their wages.

the strategy of getting them as juniors is a much better solution
Maybe there could be a soft cap for signing a union players, maybe 1 million per club, not included in the proper salary cap, if you use that million on 2-3 young union players, or the whole mill on a marquee, it could go along way to pulling participation numbers away from them

Wb1234

Referee
Maybe there could be a soft cap for signing a union players, maybe 1 million per club, if you use that million on 2-3 young union players, it could go along way to pulling participation numbers away from them
Nrl is already raiding the Aussie union ranks as it is. The aru are losing most of their good juniors

illas Crichton Murray keary Cronk etc

imagine how much better the wallabies would be with them

Agreed. Just get a bloody team there. A mate of mine played 3rd grade there when the reds existed. Said the game really took off. It will again. The infrastructure is there and a competent administration. Country comps will grow there too. It’s a no brainer imho
Yes. That has a big bite to it. WA deserve another crack at making us a national comp. While the Bears are one of Sydney's traditional clubs.

Wb1234

Referee
This is such a stupid idea. North Sydney Oval is an awful ground for RL. The viewing angles are terrible there, it deserves zero games. If WA gets this idea up and running, they need to be in full control, with ownership of the brand and all home games played in Perth.
Lmao your just jealous your club can’t use their juniors

Brookie was a dump forever that didn’t stop manly taking the license away from a far better ground at Gosford

a4c6d4f2b8c4689207f0b278e893beb8

hope it works out Pirates is a stupid name, much prefer Reds though... But WA Bears will do me

Yes. That moniker has a big bite to it. WA deserve another crack at making us a national comp. While the Bears are one of Sydney's traditional clubs. A no brainer to bring two outsiders back into the big time.

Timbo

Staff member
I don't like the idea of the 8-4 split of matches.

What I would like would the team to be based full time for all 12 matches in Perth, but to play a pre-season trial at NSO and to be guaranteed five away matches at a mix of the SFS, Homebush and Parramatta. Then sell a 'Sydney Membership' which gets you into the trial and gives you a GA ticket to those five matches.

Perth gets a full-time team. Old Norths fans get a NSO nostalgia hit and five premiership games annually they can go to.

MugaB

Coach
imagine how much better the wallabies would be with them
No thanks, for me a public announcement from the ARLC to the clubs officially saying you're free to use 1 million extra ontop your cap, if you go and recruit RU players, wpuld be great big slap in the face to RU, imagine all the clubs knowing they had that little bit more to play with

MugaB

Coach
Yes. That moniker has a big bite to it. WA deserve another crack at making us a national comp. While the Bears are one of Sydney's traditional clubs. A no brainer to bring two outsiders back into the big time.
Reminds me of the bloods into swans in AFL, and even tho it took some time to hold, its a great idea if the NRL persist