What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Wb1234

Referee
I don't like the idea of the 8-4 split of matches.

What I would like would the team to be based full time for all 12 matches in Perth, but to play a pre-season trial at NSO and to be guaranteed five away matches at a mix of the SFS, Homebush and Parramatta. Then sell a 'Sydney Membership' which gets you into the trial and gives you a GA ticket to those five matches.

Perth gets a full-time team. Old Norths fans get a NSO nostalgia hit and five premiership games annually they can go to.
They can’t sell a Sydney membership to games as those games will be owned by other clubs. But I’m sure games at the sfs and Brookie would get a fair amount of norths fans attending.

One or two Perth home games at nso gives the bears an olive branch they aren’t just betting used with little in return

MugaB

Coach
What I would like would the team to be based full time for all 12 matches in Perth, but to play a pre-season trial at NSO and to be guaranteed five away matches at a mix of the SFS, Homebush and Parramatta. Then sell a 'Sydney Membership' which gets you into the trial and gives you a GA ticket to those five matches.

Perth gets a full-time team. Old Norths fans get a NSO nostalgia hit and five premiership games annually they can go to.
Thats exactly how it should be all games in perth, there's enough teams in Sydney, that can gift a one off game to NSO, or play them in the bigger stadiums easy enough for the bears fans to attend, for me SFS is a no brainer...
And if it HAD to be a split, 10 @ perths HBF park, and 2 @ SFS, ....nso should only be used for trials

mongoose

Coach
This is such a stupid idea. North Sydney Oval is an awful ground for RL. The viewing angles are terrible there, it deserves zero games. If WA gets this idea up and running, they need to be in full control, with ownership of the brand and all home games played in Perth.
there is already 100+ NRL games a year in Sydney, it doesn't need anymore. Like I said, make Manly or Roosters take their home game against the Bears to NSO if they must play 1 game there.

Nrl is already raiding the Aussie union ranks as it is. The aru are losing most of their good juniors

illas Crichton Murray keary Cronk etc

imagine how much better the wallabies would be with them
Another good reason to add Perth, NZ 2 and Bris 3 or NZ 3 in the future. More pathways for talented juniors will see the Wallabies and All Blacks lose a few teenage prodigies before they ever wear a Wallabies or All Blacks jersey. It'll also hurt the Western Force.

If they do go along with this proposal then all 12 premiership matches need to be played at Perth Oval, with preseason games to be played in Adelaide so they can expose South Australians to the game. Perth Bears vs Melbourne Storm at Adelaide would be a great annual trial.

there is already 100+ NRL games a year in Sydney, it doesn't need anymore. Like I said, make Manly or Roosters take their home game against the Bears to NSO if they must play 1 game there.
There's no justifiable reason for any games to be played at North Sydney Oval. They're not going to draw a big crowd and it will make the game look second rate because it's a dilapidated cricket ground that's 100 years out of date. Brookvale is getting reconstructed and SFS will be a quality stadium. That's where games need to be played.

Nrl is already raiding the Aussie union ranks as it is. The aru are losing most of their good juniors

illas Crichton Murray keary Cronk etc

imagine how much better the wallabies would be with them
When a kid from Australia has the skill to play professional soccer they primarily go to England as that is THE premier competition in the world. We already have juniors coming over from NZ in their teens to do exactly that here.
I might be pipe-smoking a dream here, wouldn't it be good if every kid who strives to play in THE premier "Rugby" competition in the world looks to the NRL? and come into an elite training programme, and junior clubs
May be a bit too farfetched for the powers to be at this point in time.
Just my thoughts.

mongoose

Coach
There's no justifiable reason for any games to be played at North Sydney Oval. They're not going to draw a big crowd and it will make the game look second rate because it's a dilapidated cricket ground that's 100 years out of date. Brookvale is getting reconstructed and SFS will be a quality stadium. That's where games need to be played.

I agree but its the NRL, we play games in Bush towns.

When a kid from Australia has the skill to play professional soccer they primarily go to England as that is THE premier competition in the world. We already have juniors coming over from NZ in their teens to do exactly that here.
I might be pipe-smoking a dream here, wouldn't it be good if every kid who strives to play in THE premier "Rugby" competition in the world looks to the NRL? and come into an elite training programme, and junior clubs
May be a bit too farfetched for the powers to be at this point in time.
Just my thoughts.
We would need to double or triple the salary cap to provide the money needed to lure kids away from the RFU and FFR. Their salary caps are similar to ours and kids aren't going to travel to the other side of the world to play a different sport unless it provides something better. We don't have a strong international scene, so it'll have to be big money to make the transition worthwhile. We would need to send some talent scouts over to England and France to lure the talent to Australia. It would help to put more emphasis on Test football to bridge the gap, but the NRL will never do that. At least bring back the Ashes and Baskerville Shield.

I agree but its the NRL, we play games in Bush towns.
We need a viable second division for regional clubs so it makes financial sense to build a 20k seated stadium in places like Mackay, Cairns, Rockhampton and Sunshine Coast. That will provide an opportunity to take games to these regions and actually make a profit from gate receipts.

Last edited:
All this talk about getting the Bears fans back; I am sure there are a number of diehards but what kind of number are we really talking about?

We would need to double or triple the salary cap to provide the money needed to lure kids away from the RFU and FFR. Their salary caps are similar to ours and kids aren't going to travel to the other side of the world to play a different sport unless it provides something better. We don't have a strong international scene, so it'll have to be big money to make the transition worthwhile. We would need to send some talent scouts over to England to lure the talent to Australia. It would help to put more emphasis on Test football to bridge the gap, but the NRL will never do that. At least bring back the Ashes and Baskerville Shield.
Its not a thought to happen next week. I'm talking very long term goal.
The NFL have scouts out here looking at our junior rugby league players all in the hope of finding the next Jordan Mailata. One day I'd hope the NRL would have scouts in the US looking for the next kid from the States to play here.

The NFL have scouts out here looking at our junior rugby league players all in the hope of finding the next Jordan Mailata. One day I'd hope the NRL would have scouts in the US looking for the next kid from the States to play here.
It’s unlikely due to the differences in salary; I’m not sure of Jordan’s salary but if he makes it as an above average lineman in the NFL his annual salary is probably similar or more than the entire career earnings as a superstar of our game.

It’s all about the money and the exposure and the fact that we are talking about resurrecting the Bears is symptomatic of why we will never have those two things; we keep looking backwards rather than forwards.

It’s unlikely due to the differences in salary; I’m not sure of Jordan’s salary but if he makes it as an above average lineman in the NFL his annual salary is probably similar or more than the entire career earnings as a superstar of our game.

It’s all about the money and the exposure and the fact that we are talking about resurrecting the Bears is symptomatic of why we will never have those two things; we keep looking backwards rather than forwards.
This is why I said originally that this topic is for another thread.
My thoughts on this are for the far future, not in the days of getting Perth back in the comp. That is now, and I agree, I dont think involving the Bears is a good idea.

Wb1234

Referee
This bid could add something like an extra 100k viewers per game with new viewers in Sydney and wa. Throw in the new time slot and the extra game and this should lead to a big bump in the tv rights

Sydney clubs will get an extra 2 to 5k travelling fans to games

and then there’s two derbies vs manly

after what manly did to them they would be massive

Tigerm

First Grade
Unfortunately, i think they will end up being called the “Gummy Bears”, it’s been tried before and ended in failure, I just don’t think it’s viable from a TV POV?

I would much rather see a 2 division comp, with promotion and relegation, which would give more life to the 1st division comp all year round?

All this talk about getting the Bears fans back; I am sure there are a number of diehards but what kind of number are we really talking about?
They had roughly 11k supporters in the 90s.

There wouldn't be many left. Maybe a couple of thousand.
We'll never compete with NFL for money. Best bet is to focus on the Pacific Islands and dominate the region. If we can make rugby league the most revered and widely played sport across Polynesia, Melanesia and Micronesia then we'll have a steady flow of talent to expand our competition.

Our leaders and many of our supporters are myopic and self-serving.

Vee

First Grade
After waiting so long its a bit like accepting sloppy seconds lol.
Of course it could work if it is set up right with at least 80% WA ownership, a cast iron guarantee that if it fails the license will be offered only to Perth bidders and will never revert back to the Bears, at least 10 games are guaranteed for Perth EVERY year, that the team also hosts Jnrs and reserves based in Perth as well as the Bears set up, that Bears contribute funds annually and that north sydney is not in the branding. Maybe then I could get behind it fully. It'd be quite fun to head over to Sydney for a WA Bears home game once a year lol.

Shame though I was really hoping to see a Pirate ship built at HBF park!
Bin the Pirates brand. If it can't be the Reds, Bears is next best.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They can’t sell a Sydney membership to games as those games will be owned by other clubs. But I’m sure games at the sfs and Brookie would get a fair amount of norths fans attending.

One or two Perth home games at nso gives the bears an olive branch they aren’t just betting used with little in return
Yes they can, other clubs have done it in the past. The “home” club gets a slice of the ticket price in the membership.

Vee

First Grade

Just saying...

Last edited:
We'll never compete with NFL for money. Best bet is to focus on the Pacific Islands and dominate the region. If we can make rugby league the most revered and widely played sport across Polynesia, Melanesia and Micronesia then we'll have a steady flow of talent to expand our competition.
I never said we would compete with them, just an example of what other sports are doing here with scouts, and what we could do in the FAR FUTURE.
Those countries you mentioned are the near future, and they are already being scouted by the NRL.
Europe would be next after that.
And one day you could see B4 and NZ3 in the comp!
Now please, back to Perth Bears.

Canard

Immortal
No mention of NRL/Stadiums or sport in general in the WA budget announced 5 days ago.

I'd love to see some sort of confirmation that the WA Govt is proposing to underwrite an NRL team.

I'd also love to see what value the Bears bring to this besides "brand recognition" for boomers.

Latest posts