What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given the number of South Africans in the crowd at the wobblies test matches the last couple of weeks I wonder if it would be worth the Western Bears taking advantage of the salary cap exemption and throw some money at one of the South Africans.
I wouldn`t recommend throwing money away if the budget is tight and only if the player is a genuine chance of cutting it, but would be great if we could tap into that massive South African market in Oz.
They should be given a cap exemption for signing players outside of current nrl squads. Encourages taking a chance on some union converts and reduces weakening the current comp.

Nuke

Staff member
Jews, Croats, Nazis and Serbs, Logan, basically his rants were tiresome and getting on borderline trolling thru racism
I understand there were other reasons, but I don't know if I can say anything or not.

I think we can all work out why Milhouse was moved on though.

Apologies for taking this thread off-topic.
Back to talking about the Western Bears now!

Centy Coast

Juniors
Such a huge effort from the Bears today, the boys showed lots of character with a very under strength line up, so many injuries atm, but showed lots of grit and determination to come from 12 points behind on two occasions to get the draw 24-24 with Penrith.
The Bears had a heap of players unavailable today:
halfback Ben Stevanovic, fullback Jake Toby, lock Ben Talty, prop Phil Makatoa, Josh Bevan, Israel Ogden and Luke Hodge not to mention the season ending injuries to second rower Riley Meyn and possibly hooker Nathaniel Roache, we also lost forwards Regan Hughes and Sione Tupouniua both to head knocks as well as winger Tui Katoa to a leg injury during todays game.
Hopefully they can get some of these boys back and they can get back into the winners circle next weekend.
The only Melbourne Storm contracted player the Bears had today was prop Tepai Moeroa.
The Bears now drop down to 2nd position on points for and against on the NSW Cup competition table now behind the Canberra Raiders with only two rounds remaining.

IMG_5379.jpeg

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
After signing a short-term deal with the Leeds Rhinos, Arthur is set to remain overseas in the Super League and extend his tenure there on a long-term contract, per News Corp.
It is understood that the new deal will likely have a get-out clause that would allow him to leave for an NRL opportunity.
This is due to the inclusion of the Perth-based Western Bears team, which will enter the competition as the NRL's 18th team.
It also comes after he was heavily linked with a move to the Newcastle Knights coaching staff who are on the lookout for an assistant coach.
“I've been honest about it all the way through, I want to be a career coach in the NRL and still feel like I've got some unfinished business there,” he said in July.
“But also, I've always had the desire at some stage to coach in the Super League – whether it was at the end of my career or now. I don't want to be drawn into whether I'm staying or I'm not: because I don't know.
“I've left my family at home so that shows I'm committed to helping the club right now.
"If I can do as much as I can now to help the club advance through this year and beyond whether it's with or without me, then great.”

Despite revealing that he has ambitions to return to the NRL, Arthur has admitted that does not necessarily mean it will be for the 2025 season.

Iamback

Coach
There idiots if they gave it to him.

The bloke single handedly destroyed Parramatta by turning into a family business.

Each passing week shows what a fraud he was for 11 years conning the joint into thinking he was a supercoach.

Has he developed any players with you guys? Seems to of bought a squad

These teams need coaches who can develop talent

King-Gutho94

Coach
Has he developed any players with you guys? Seems to of bought a squad

These teams need coaches who can develop talent
Dylan Brown and Will Penisini would be only two that have turned into first graders.

How good are they going atm one gets paid close to a million to be a space cadet when Moses isn't there and the other has turned into Waqa Blake who cant't catch or pass.

Lets not forget all those Rouse Hill Rhinos Brad Arthur brought through he coached at junior level in his sons team.

Sean Russell, Jake Arthur was another level of Nepotism Arthur brought into the joint.

Unless you were a Rhino you didnt get a look in.

Nathan Brown called it out in a juniors development review and got marched out.

Now is coming back as an assistant coach under Ryles. So clearly the club wasnt the problem it was BA.

If i was Perth i wouldn't go near him.

Iamback

Coach
Dylan Brown and Will Penisini would be only two that have turned into first graders.

How good are they going atm one gets paid close to a million to be a space cadet when Moses isn't there and the other has turned into Waqa Blake who cant't catch or pass.

Lets not forget all those Rouse Hill Rhinos Brad Arthur brought through he coached at junior level in his sons team.

Sean Russell, Jake Arthur was another level of Nepotism Arthur brought into the joint.

Now is coming back as an assistant coach under Ryles. So clearly the club wasnt the problem it was BA.

He was by far the worst coach in the NRL, how he lasted so long was a miracle.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He was by far the worst coach in the NRL, how he lasted so long was a miracle.
was a roller coaster record:

took over in 2014 after two successive wooden spoons
yr 1 finished 10th, then 12th , then14th

then finished 4th

then wooden spoon

then 3 semi finals

then grand final

then 10th

6 seasons he had a winning %, 2 seasons a 50-50 and 2 seasons a losing %

all in all I wouldn't say the worse. In 10 years made the finals 5 times inc 4 semis and a GF. If the Western Bears achieved that in our first decade I wouldnt be unhappy!

Iamback

Coach
was a roller coaster record:

took over in 2014 after two successive wooden spoons
yr 1 finished 10th, then 12th , then14th

then finished 4th

then wooden spoon

then 3 semi finals

then grand final

then 10th

6 seasons he had a winning %, 2 seasons a 50-50 and 2 seasons a losing %

all in all I wouldn't say the worse. In 10 years made the finals 5 times inc 4 semis and a GF. If the Western Bears achieved that in our first decade I wouldnt be unhappy!

See my question above. He bought fairly decent players from other clubs and only scrapped in a 50% record.

vastly different build is needed for the new teams

MugaB

Coach

Yes coz nepotism hasn't ever been an issue for Penrith.... way to go Cartwright and Cleary

RedVee

First Grade
They should be given a cap exemption for signing players outside of current nrl squads. Encourages taking a chance on some union converts and reduces weakening the current comp.
Tiann Strauss was a Springbok that played for Cronulla

King-Gutho94

Coach
Yes coz nepotism hasn't ever been an issue for Penrith.... way to go Cartwright and Cleary
Nathan cleary wasn't handed his debut by his father it was by Griffin.

By the time Ivan came back Nathan was NSW halfback am I right.

So nepotism isn't an issue as Nathan had already earned his spot.

Fancy comparing him to Jake Arthur the only thing they have in common is they have both scored the last try in the final 5 mins of a GF

Latest posts