What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Matt_CBY

Juniors
For what it's worth, I've had a few little play-arounds with logos in my limited spare time, and I've come up with something that I think is going to be close to what eventually is released and is an improvement on those logos I found submitted on the IP Australia website.

I have some ideas for jersey designs too, but they are just scribbles on some scrap paper at the moment..!

Here's my logo design for the Western Bears:
View attachment 93096
I’d be interested in what this logo would look like if it’s white replacing the yellow on the bear. The words Bears maintaining the red and western in yellow.

I wonder if the word marking will maintain from the press release though.

Attachments

• IMG_8527.jpeg
    IMG_8527.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 6

Nuke

Staff member
That's where I got that from. I saw it, and maybe over-thinking it, and I immediately thought / felt it was a taste of things to come for the proper logo.

So I added it.

I did do a few different colour versions of my logo, and you've described one of them exactly (see below).
20240826_144935.jpg

To be honest, any of either a red bear, gold bear, or white bear work well. It would depend on the surrounding background and purpose as to what works best in that scenario.

The only thing working against the red bear and white bear as a standalone emblem (ie: without the wordmark) is that gold is harder to integrate into the image without the bear looking like it's got blonde highlights, yellow teeth, or very sick looking eyes..! I'd prefer all four colours to be included in the emblem, personally.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
That's where I got that from. I saw it, and maybe over-thinking it, and I immediately thought / felt it was a taste of things to come for the proper logo.

So I added it.

I did do a few different colour versions of my logo, and you've described one of them exactly (see below).
View attachment 93107

To be honest, any of either a red bear, gold bear, or white bear work well. It would depend on the surrounding background and purpose as to what works best in that scenario.

The only thing working against the red bear and white bear as a standalone emblem (ie: without the wordmark) is that gold is harder to integrate into the image without the bear looking like it's got blonde highlights, yellow teeth, or very sick looking eyes..! I'd prefer all four colours to be included in the emblem, personally.

I also wonder if the Western would go above the Bear head and the word bears below it.

Nuke

Staff member
While the media statement is good, the thing that stood out to me more than anything else was the inclusion of the same Western Bears wordmark from the Nth Sydney statement recently.

wb2027

Juniors

Not all clubs have their colours integrated in their logos though. The Dolphins don't have their sandy gold in their dolphin, the Panther doesn't have any green, Cowboys has no grey, Storm has no yellow.
Just has to work at first glance. The white with red tongue you've done is fine.

Nuke

Staff member
Not all clubs have their colours integrated in their logos though. The Dolphins don't have their sandy gold in their dolphin, the Panther doesn't have any green, Cowboys has no grey, Storm has no yellow.
Just has to work at first glance. The white with red tongue you've done is fine.
No, I agree that clubs don't have to have all club colours included in their logo. It's just a personal preference of mine. I would much prefer, say, the black parts of the Knights logo change to be dark blue.

If there's an opportunity to showcase all a club's colours into their logo, as part of their identity, it's something I personally prefer. As these mockup logos are my design, I'd like to include all four Western Bears colours into them if they work.

MugaB

Coach
Haha, love the wording there in "the 3rd largest participation catchment" I doubt that overtaking Victoria is a milestone your wanting to trumpet in this bid release statement... besides nowhere is it implied that its talking about states or territories of Australia, just club participation (and specifically NOT in nsw or qld),
So Basically just leaves raiders and storm, if so then ACT could give it a run for its money...
Why not say we aim to be the 3rd largest in club participation.... full stop, try and best the actual clubs Penrith, Wests, Cronulla etc, that would set the bar high and show you mean business, not this 3rd largest- but-not-including-15 other-clubs, so you wanna be 16th? (Coz we aren't counting Nsw, Qld, Nz)

Wb1234

Referee
Haha, love the wording there in "the 3rd largest participation catchment" I doubt that overtaking Victoria is a milestone your wanting to trumpet in this bid release statement... besides nowhere is it implied that its talking about states or territories of Australia, just club participation (and specifically NOT in nsw or qld),
So Basically just leaves raiders and storm, if so then ACT could give it a run for its money...
Why not say we aim to be the 3rd largest in club participation.... full stop, try and best the actual clubs Penrith, Wests, Cronulla etc, that would set the bar high and show you mean business, not this 3rd largest- but-not-including-15 other-clubs, so you wanna be 16th? (Coz we aren't counting Nsw, Qld, Nz)
Show had bad the storm are in developing local juniors over 25 years

Gobsmacked

Bench
The NRL has opened bidding and put in non disclosure agreements. Obviously wanting to do thier due diligence in private without dealing with media and speculation.
So far we've witnessed complete silence from all competing bids as Obviously all bid respects the process and have given the NRL the latitude to make thier decision.
All but one of course, that shows no respect for the process and are constantly putting pressure on the NRL through the media in statements like this. Anyone who thinks that this is how you do business or that the NRL will be impressed has rocks in their head.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL has opened bidding and put in non disclosure agreements. Obviously wanting to do thier due diligence in private without dealing with media and speculation.
So far we've witnessed complete silence from all competing bids as Obviously all bid respects the process and have given the NRL the latitude to make thier decision.
All but one of course, that shows no respect for the process and are constantly putting pressure on the NRL through the media in statements like this. Anyone who thinks that this is how you do business or that the NRL will be impressed has rocks in their head.
TBF the other bids havent got established fan bases they are trying to keep on board in an amalgamation environment. Bears and WA fans are both nervous for different reasons about the bid. Putting out some detail to get everyone on board was probably necessary. Given the WA one was a joint one with NRLWA, who are in fact the NRL, Id suggest they are ok with it. If the Bears went rogue with their members update and WA felt the need to balance it with their release Im not sure.

Vlad59

Bench
Show had bad the storm are in developing local juniors over 25 years
It hasn’t been the storms function to develop juniors. It’s been the function of nrl vic. And it’s been severely underfunded. I know this because I worked with them on projects in Tasmania. Only since Vlandys has there been any real traction in Victoria. WA will benefit from the lessons learned.

Gobsmacked

Bench
TBF the other bids havent got established fan bases they are trying to keep on board in an amalgamation environment. Bears and WA fans are both nervous for different reasons about the bid. Putting out some detail to get everyone on board was probably necessary. Given the WA one was a joint one with NRLWA, who are in fact the NRL, Id suggest they are ok with it. If the Bears went rogue with their members update and WA felt the need to balance it with their release Im not sure.
I understand that but imagine from the NRL's point of view having the to field calls and Emails from all the other bids seeking reassurance that the bidding process is still ongoing and the NDA still applies so they can then go back and reassure all their investors exc...
Extremely unprofessional of the Western Bears and if anything it hurts thier credibility and their chances.

Latest posts