What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Matt_CBY

Juniors
That's a fair point - and if Brisbane (Easts) Tigers snare themselves a place in the NRL, then their 8 BRL premierships before 1995 puts them up there with the Sea Eagles & Bulldogs (as it currently stands) - equal 5th place for premierships behind Souths, Easts/Sydney Roosters & St George (Equal 2nd), and Balmain (4th).

To be fair to Queensland, both NSWRL AND BRL premierships up to 1994 should count as top club tier.
The two heads are showing again fellas.

Santino Patane

Juniors
I see it the opposite- premierships pre 1998 shouldn’t count to an NRL tally, it was a different comp. If we really want the competition to be national, then the NRL needs to act National.

Souths can still talk about their 20 something, but they only have 1 NRL title- and today that’s what should matter. Let the clubs have their own heritage (inc Broncos) but they all should be treated like the Dolphins are now

Vlad59

Bench
I see it the opposite- premierships pre 1998 shouldn’t count to an NRL tally, it was a different comp. If we really want the competition to be national, then the NRL needs to act National.

Souths can still talk about their 20 something, but they only have 1 NRL title- and today that’s what should matter. Let the clubs have their own heritage (inc Broncos) but they all should be treated like the Dolphins are now
I agree. If we are talking NRL then those are the only premierships that should count.

Iamback

Coach

Yeah but NRL is after rivalries and heritage. You can't have that if you ignore 100 years of the game

Centy Coast

Juniors
That’s it!

I’m using my connections at the club to pull its support for the Western Bears.

18 Ipswich Newtown Jets
19 PNG
20 Christchurch.
Sorry, if it helps my Uncle went across to the Bulldogs with Terry Lamb from Western Suburbs at the end of 1983 as their fitness trainer, he trained Bulldogs hooker Billy Johnstone for his Australian boxing title shot which he lost via dq with a head butt.
He also trained Tommy Raudonikis in his boxing bout against Queenslander Greg Oliphant.
As a young bloke I would sit with the players in the dugout mainly at Monday Night Footy.
Who remembers their mascot Whacka the Emu ?.

RedVee

First Grade
Sorry, if it helps my Uncle went across to the Bulldogs with Terry Lamb from Western Suburbs at the end of 1983 as their fitness trainer, he trained Bulldogs hooker Billy Johnstone for his Australian boxing title shot which he lost via dq with a head butt.
He also trained Tommy Raudonikis in his boxing bout against Queenslander Greg Oliphant.
As a young bloke I would sit with the players in the dugout mainly at Monday Night Footy.
Who remembers their mascot Whacka the Emu ?.
Are you Whacka?

flippikat

Bench
I like to think of it as a kind of "outsider camaraderie" between NZ & Queensland.

From my Kiwi perspective, I can see how downplaying the status of the BRL Premiers would frustrate Queensland fans from that era.

Even though the NRL evolved directly from the NSWRL, CERTAINLY pre-1982 (and you could argue 1982-1994 when the NSWRL expanded outside Greater Sydney) both were top tier.

Wb1234

Immortal

If you want to ignore rugby league pre 98 then you only are looking at 20 percent of the game

the reality is this competition is the nswrl which expanded

Santino Patane

Juniors
If you want to ignore rugby league pre 98 then you only are looking at 20 percent of the game

the reality is this competition is the nswrl which expanded
No, the ARL was an expansion of the NSWRL. The NRL is the combination of Super League and the ARL. There’s 2 degrees of separation from the NSWRL. It’s been nearly 30 years- time to move on.

Nuke

Staff member
I assume any announcement would be after the GF?
They haven't announced a specific date, however my thoughts are that since they speculated at September / October, they might be looking to steal some of the spotlight on aussie rules's big day and make the announcement around about their Grand Final day. On the day itself or maybe the day after. Just my thoughts of the last couple of weeks.

It'd be a very V'landys thing to do..!