What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Reading between the lines here, I don't think the NRL has been fully transparent, as well as some weird Bears fetish running in the background

V'Landys words indicate the submission for licensing has been underwhelming. This can only happen if it runs like a Dutch auction. Reminds me of those charity/religious run buffets

Eat all you want, pay what you feel

They've put an ambiguous term out there and the WA consortium has run with it, with most likely a low ball amount

Run this parallel with the benchmark being set by PNG, underwritten by a federal government in money printing mode

The addition of the minority owners from Sydney, Paul Smith has a track record of promoting his brands. The king's now have the highest attendances in the NBL. The other Paul is an ex commercial manager in the NRL

The WA consortium mentioned their roles, one of the main terms was "ears on the ground, being a permanent presence in Sydney and close to NRL operations. These were good additions

I suspect the NRL got pissed the WA bid didn't employ someone through North Sydney channels. I like the independence myself

I truly hope this isn't ego or bias preventing what was otherwise a sane expansion program

Perth as #18, PNG as 19, NZ2 as 20, and QLD5 on stand by should PNG fail

No other combination of teams, nor their order of entry made as much sense, especially on the back of two consecutive breakout years for the NRL

If this is a bludgeon to have North Sydney RLFC run a transplanted team out of Perth, this will not end well

Last edited:

Kurt Angle

First Grade

It's how modern sports work.

Funny you'd pick that

There'd be less than 1,000 people in Australia who knows as much about the history of the NFL than me. The 60's AFL for example was what I imagined the guys who planned super league thought how things would unfold

They're not the same. Modern NRL is born out of districts. There is untold equity is these districts for what RL is today, and the feeling is it belongs to more than NRL corporates.

Likewise, as the above post. when the value is inflated by a unrelated to RL diplomacy play and the Commonwealth turning on the printing press, it's hard to feel this is justified

For 17 clubs to assert 100% stakeholding doesn't sit well with the tribal nature of the game

But let's go to the crux of the matter

What specifically are they paying for? Give me a tangible response

Only thing I can think of it is "Western Bears RLFC ltd" is structured to run as a for profit organisation

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
Reading between the lines here, I don't think the NRL has been fully transparent, as well as some weird Bears fetish running in the background

V'Landys words indicate the submission for licensing has been underwhelming. This can only happen if it runs like a Dutch auction. Reminds me of those charity/religious run buffets

They've put an ambiguous term out there and the WA consortium has run with it, with most likely a low ball amount

Run this parallel with the benchmark being set by PNG, underwritten by a federal government in money printing mode

The addition of the minority owners from Sydney, Paul Smith has a track record of promoting his brands. The king's now have the highest attendances in the NBL. The other Paul is an ex commercial manager in the NRL

The WA consortium mentioned their roles, one of the main terms was "ears on the ground, being a permanent presence in Sydney and close to NRL operations. These were good additions

I suspect the NRL got pissed the WA bid didn't employ someone through North Sydney channels. I like the independence myself

I truly hope this isn't ego or bias preventing what was otherwise a sane expansion program

No other combination of teams, nor their order of entry made as much sense, especially on the back of two consecutive breakout years for the NRL

If this is a bludgeon to have North Sydney RLFC run a transplanted team out of Perth, this will not end well

Bid is broke and NRL doesn't want to bail another team out. That's all

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Bid isn't broke at all

The WA bid had a benchmark from their Redcliffe consultant

The NRL had a benchmark in mind from albos $600 million splash

Those two separate benchmarks are miles apart, and a clear lack of effective communication made it such

Pippen94

First Grade
Funny you'd pick that

There'd be less than 1,000 people in Australia who knows as much about the history of the NFL than me. The 60's AFL for example was what I imagined the guys who planned super league thought how things would unfold

They're not the same. Modern NRL is born out of districts. There is untold equity is these districts for what RL is today, and the feeling is it vongs to more than NRL corporates.

Likewise, as the above post. when the value is inflated by a unrelated to RL diplomacy play and the Commonwealth turning on the printing press, it's hard to feel this is justified

For 17 clubs to assert 100% stakeholding doesn't sit well with the tribal nature of the game

But let's go to the crux of the matter

What specifically ate they paying for? Give me a tangible response

Only thing I can think of it is "Western Bears RLFC ltd" is structured to run as a for profit organisation

Are you using ai?!

Pippen94

First Grade
Bid isn't broke at all

Those two separate benchmarks are miles apart, and a clear lack of effective communication made it such

Dolphins had assets. Perth still coaxing investors months are saying they had many businessmen funding them.
Game doesn't need Paul smith. We already stocked up on crazy!!

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Dolphins had assets. Perth still coaxing investors months are saying they had many businessmen funding them.
Game doesn't need Paul smith. We already stocked up on crazy!!
You can stump up your own $30+ million and decide what level of crazy you want

The Kings are profitable and have an outstanding ownership team

Wb1234

Immortal

The article says Cummins was told twice by senior nrl people he needed to pay a significant license fee

He ignored them and said he would pay zero

‘Your bid is in the bin’: How Western Bears’ plans went south​

It’s often said a week is a long time in rugby league – but what about two months?
For the Western Bears, two months must feel like an eternity.

When a consortium of West Australia businessmen in July lodged its bid document to become the NRL’s next franchise, ARL Commissioner Peter Beattie was so impressed he messaged bid chief Peter Cumins: “Your bid is outstanding. We look forward to working with you in the future.”
Last Friday, Beattie had the job of breaking the news that the consortium’s apparently outstanding bid wasn’t so outstanding after all. “Your bid is in the bin,” he told them.

The rubbish bins were collected yesterday afternoon when news broke that the ARLC hadn’t just rejected the Bears’ bid but whacked them as they walked out the door.
According to chairman Peter V’landys, their “low-ball offer” was “disrespectful”.
The Bears held crisis meetings on Monday in a bid to salvage the bid, but the decision had already been made.
Cumins, the Cash Converters owner who has been pushing for 20 years for an NRL licence, is said to be devastated.
He did not return calls, presumably living in hope that V’landys will change his mind.

On the Friday morning of Magic Round in May, V’landys told reporters that the Albanese government’s plan for a Papua New Guinea team based in Port Moresby was on the verge of collapse. He’d grown tired of bureaucrats dithering on the $600 million pledge from the Albanese, who wants a PNG team to use as geopolitical pawn in the chess game with China.

By the time the last match was kicking off on Sunday, the deal was back on.
It will surprise if the PNG isn’t finally announced on Sunday when the men’s and women’s Australian Prime Minister’s XIII teams take on the PNG PM’s XIII teams at Santos National Football in Port Moresby. The WA bid, though, is on life support.
How did it get to this? How did the Bears go from certain starters in 2027 to being rejected like a bad Tinder date on grand final weekend? Within two months?

V’landys had told the WA consortium months ago to form a partnership with foundation club North Sydney, even though they had already agreed to partner with the Newtown Jets.
Desperate to get into the NRL, they agreed and the Western Bears came to life. Their announcement as the NRL’s 17th team was imminent. They even had a date: October 10.
V’landys insists a weak financial position was the main problem with the bid but, if you dig deeper, it feels more like those involved didn’t know how to negotiate with the most powerful man in Australian sport.
When Beattie congratulated Cumins in July, it came with a rider: that a licence fee was to be agreed upon if they were to enter the NRL.
Behind the scenes, the WA bid was put together by Nick Nogarotto from business management consultancy Freshwater Strategy.

Nogarotto, who did not return calls, put together the Redcliffe Dolphins’ successful bid in 2021. He’s very guarded.
Redcliffe weren’t required to pay a licence fee because their licensed club guaranteed their long-term financial viability.
The NRL insisted the WA bid pay a fee – about $15-20m – because they were in a rugby league outpost and their financial position wasn’t as strong as that of the Dolphins.

V’landys was also blindsided by the WA bid allowing Sydney Kings owners Paul Smith and Paul Kind in as 15 per cent investors just before the document had been lodged.

Smith’s head appeared on page three, but V’landys was unhappy that new investors had been included so late in the process. Disrespected, perhaps.
While Smith and Kind’s Total Sports Entertainment was prepared to pay $4m if the licence was granted, V’landys couldn’t stomach the idea of them profiting from an NRL club that didn’t want to pay a licensing fee.
Neither Smith nor Kind were commenting yesterday, but the collapse of the bid isn’t their fault.
On the surface, it appears a group of well-intentional and wealthy league-loving businessmen from Perth have failed to appreciate how aggressive V’landys can be.
Tellingly, Cumins and V’landys have only met a few times, let alone talked to each other. The PNG bid is being negotiated by two prime ministers.

The NRL will now negotiate directly with the WA government with a view to running a new franchise themselves.
They have seen how the Tasmanian government has worked hand in glove with the AFL to create the Devils, which enter the premiership in 2028.
The idea of an NRL-owned franchise seems problematic, mostly because there is so much distrust within the game.
But funnier things have happened.

A PNG team based in another country an eight-hour flight away just replaced the Bears as rugby league’s newest team.

‘Your bid is in the bin’: How Western Bears’ plans went south

BuffaloRules

Coach
Went from “outstanding bid “ to hit the road Jack in two months ….?

And over $15m ?

Thinking there might be something missing from this picture …

maybe another WA bidder has come out of the woodwork

Gobsmacked

Bench
Bid isn't broke at all

The 600 million was never a " benchmark " you made that up. Everything else you've said has been pretty close to the mark.

flippikat

First Grade
Bid isn't broke at all

That's it in a nutshell.

Two totally different concepts, worlds apart.

Latest posts