What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA- did we miss the boat ?

The Great Dane

First Grade
The ‘hurdles’ in front of Adelaide are no different to the ‘hurdles’ that everybody asserted there was in front of Melbourne in the 80s and 90s, it’s all just lame excuse making.

Adelaide could support a team tomorrow if they had the backing.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
Only issue is i feel they are already pushing towards Brisbane2, then NZ2,
There seems to be a lot of focus on the warriors to perform after the good feel story of last year, Gus now over there working out pathways, i mean the whole country has a population of 5 million, for one team it should be braining it in the NRL, just like the broncos were in the 90s when they started, but i suppose they had a few GFs and finals but lost.
Auckland 2 would be my guess, it boasts 1.7 million and a cross town local rivalry using the same stadium can generate the buzz needed to expand to Wellington or Christchurch in future years if the bids present themselves, also means a game at Mount Smart stadium every week just as proposed by the expansion into SEQ
I see that as the next logical step, before Perth
Why on earth would you waste a valuable and rare NRL franchise for NZRL by placing NZ2 in a city that already has a NZ NRL franchise??

It surely has to be Christchurch for NZ2. Christchurch is a big city of 400k currently which is rising all the time and by the year 2030 the greater Christchurch region population is projected to be just over 600k.

The Christchurch and Canterbury region are sports mad and because of their geographical location gives an instant north v south rivalry with the warriors.

I’d also insist on calling them by the city name Christchurch over the province name of Canterbury. I’d also revert the warriors back to the Auckland warriors. Christchurch bulls playing in red, black and white and Auckland warriors playing in blue&white sounds and looks good :thumbsup:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Only issue is i feel they are already pushing towards Brisbane2, then NZ2,
There seems to be a lot of focus on the warriors to perform after the good feel story of last year, Gus now over there working out pathways, i mean the whole country has a population of 5 million, for one team it should be braining it in the NRL, just like the broncos were in the 90s when they started, but i suppose they had a few GFs and finals but lost.
Auckland 2 would be my guess, it boasts 1.7 million and a cross town local rivalry using the same stadium can generate the buzz needed to expand to Wellington or Christchurch in future years if the bids present themselves, also means a game at Mount Smart stadium every week just as proposed by the expansion into SEQ
I see that as the next logical step, before Perth

yeh leave a city with 2.2million without a club to start up another one in a smaller city where the exisiting one struggles to break the crowd avg? Not sure it’s that logical lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
The ‘hurdles’ in front of Adelaide are no different to the ‘hurdles’ that everybody asserted there was in front of Melbourne in the 80s and 90s, it’s all just lame excuse making.

Adelaide could support a team tomorrow if they had the backing.

reality is you need 4 things, and if you can tick off those 4 things you can literally put a new team anywhere. They are:
1. A fanbase of around 20-30k active fans meaning crowds of 15-18k on a regular basis
2. Investors willing to bank roll start up and cover losses if club falls on hard times and help the club invest in non football revenue generation
3. Corporate sponsorship to the tune of around $5-6million a year
4. A decent stadium

tick those 4 boxes and any city can host an nrl team. End of day an nrl club is just a business that needs to generate around $13-18million a year to be sustainable.

The Great Dane

First Grade
reality is you need 4 things, and if you can tick off those 4 things you can literally put a new team anywhere. They are:
1. A fanbase of around 20-30k active fans meaning crowds of 15-18k on a regular basis
2. Investors willing to bank roll start up and cover losses if club falls on hard times and help the club invest in non football revenue generation
3. Corporate sponsorship to the tune of around $5-6million a year
4. A decent stadium

tick those 4 boxes and any city can host an nrl team. End of day an nrl club is just a business that needs to generate around $13-18million a year to be sustainable.
You don't even need the fans or corporates from the outset, just a market with the potential for them to jump on board.

All you really need is a market that theoretically could support a club, good people in charge of the business, strong reliable backing to fund it, good facilities, and tons of exposure through strong marking, branding, and promotion.

The NRL has the resources to organise all of those things in any metropolitan market if they wish to, the problem is that they, or rather certain stakeholders, aren't willing to make the sacrifices necessary to make that happen.

mongoose

Coach
when was that photo taken, state of origin?

i wish we had a media that put more pressure on the NRL in regards to expansion and future planning. They are so ineffectual and useless though, not that i pay a huge amount of attention to the media. We know V'landys will never be questioned about anything by the News ltd side of the media. Channel 9 are pathetic and more concerned with pandering to boomers. The rest of the media just want the game to die....

Perth Red

Post Whore

i wish we had a media that put more pressure on the NRL in regards to expansion and future planning. They are so ineffectual and useless though, not that i pay a huge amount of attention to the media. We know V'landys will never be questioned about anything by the News ltd side of the media. Channel 9 are pathetic and more concerned with pandering to boomers. The rest of the media just want the game to die....

this week at the the announcement of govt funded floodlighting at Treeby where Fremantle Roasters are moving to.

flippikat

Bench

When much of the media is Sydney-dominated, it's no surprise the media figures will have a Sydney-centric slant.

Steve Mascord aside, there's few in the Sydney RL media that feel passionate about expansion. There's some that lean towards it like Andrew Voss, but not with the zeal needed to shake the league out of it's inertia.

Now is the perfect time to add the Pirates. With onionball going to Stan Sport, Foxtel are more reliant than ever on AFL and NRL. An NRL team in Perth could eat into the Western Force's fan base by appealing to Foxtel subscribers who have a casual interest in the rugby codes but not enough to pay $20 for Stan Sport just to see the Force. Get fans of the Eagles and Dockers to adopt the Pirates as their second team and the Force will be pushed out of the market.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Such a shame that vlandys is in power and this window of opportunity we have had for the last few years is closing. The big money backers are getting old and won’t be around forever, we’ve got a premier from Newcastle who has supported the games growth and a fanbase that was excited and turning out in big numbers at the prospect of having a club. In a few years we will have none of the above and we’ll be back to where we were in 2010. Sigh RL does like to miss golden opportunities to grow.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If I was the Pirates I'd get together with all the stakeholders and put together the best bid possible, make it an absolute banger with detail on exactly how much they have in backing, exactly how much they expect in sponsorship dollars, convince the government that they need to give them sweetheart deals to get the bid over the line, etc, etc.

Then I'd get the bid document give it to the NRL and then release it to the public. Just redact all the names that need to be redacted, and then put it online and give it to every media outlet that will run a story on it.

Then when more info on the Brisbane bids comes out I'd critique them extremely harshly and point out every single area where the Perth bid is competitive or better.

That way you take control of the narrative and force the NRL to address why they are refusing to even seriously look at such a good deal, and if it goes well you build good will from the public.

The NRL will probably still ignore the bid and go with Brisbane, but it will force them into having to actually justify their decision instead of just saying BS like 'WA bad cause AFL. Brisbane good cause RL hurr durr', and it'll keep the Perth bid relevant even after they've been overlooked.

If I was the Pirates I'd get together with all the stakeholders and put together the best bid possible, make it an absolute banger with detail on exactly how much they have in backing, exactly how much they expect in sponsorship dollars, convince the government that they need to give them sweetheart deals to get the bid over the line, etc, etc.

Then I'd get the bid document give it to the NRL and then release it to the public. Just redact all the names that need to be redacted, and then put it online and give it to every media outlet that will run a story on it.

Then when more info on the Brisbane bids comes out I'd critique them extremely harshly and point out every single area where the Perth bid is competitive or better.

That way you take control of the narrative and force the NRL to address why they are refusing to even seriously look at such a good deal, and if it goes well you build good will from the public.

The NRL will probably still ignore the bid and go with Brisbane, but it will force them into having to actually justify their decision instead of just saying BS like 'WA bad cause AFL. Brisbane good cause RL hurr durr', and it'll keep the Perth bid relevant even after they've been overlooked.
I don't have a problem with Perth getting the 17th licence if it's the best bid. I'd like to see all the bids to know how they stack up.

Perth Red

Post Whore

theyve done that! The backers, WA govt and John sackson met with the team conducting the expansion review in 2019. Sadly Vlandys then came in totally ignored the work going on and went rogue with his brisbane certainty and afl waste of money bs! There is zero point in putting a bid together when there is no expansion process or bids called for and when the chair is saying never going to happen, business people have better things to do with their time!
We went there in 2012 and Grant told us to stop wasting our time, he said concentrate on youth development and that will see us get a club. I was part of that bid team so know first hand what went on. Vlandys did t even have the decency to let Cummins know in person!
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/118397458/perth-takes-fight-to-nrl-over-expansion-snub

fans here are sick of it, even I can’t be arsed going to this years nrl games if it wasn’t melbourne playing in one of them. We all feel like nrl is using us as an atm and we’re getting nothing in return.

The Great Dane

First Grade
theyve done that! The backers, WA govt and John sackson met with the team conducting the expansion review in 2019. Sadly Vlandys then came in totally ignored the work going on and went rogue with his brisbane certainty and afl waste of money bs! There is zero point in putting a bid together when there is no expansion process or bids called for and when the chair is saying never going to happen, business people have better things to do with their time!
We went there in 2012 and Grant told us to stop wasting our time, he said concentrate on youth development and that will see us get a club. I was part of that bid team so know first hand what went on. Vlandys did t even have the decency to let Cummins know in person!
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/118397458/perth-takes-fight-to-nrl-over-expansion-snub
No they haven't lol.

You should probably read the post you are replying to before going off half cocked lol.
fans here are sick of it, even I can’t be arsed going to this years nrl games if it wasn’t melbourne playing in one of them. We all feel like nrl is using us as an atm and we’re getting nothing in return.
Wait a minute, you've been telling me for years that Perth didn't/wouldn't get disenfranchised by being strung along by the league and clubs using them as a resource like Tasmania and Canberra have gotten disenfranchised with the AFL... Didn't take you long to change your tune did it.

I genuinely hate to say I told you so.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No they haven't lol.

You should probably read the post you are replying to before going off half cocked lol.

Wait a minute, you've been telling me for years that Perth didn't/wouldn't get disenfranchised by being strung along by the league and clubs using them as a resource like Tasmania and Canberra have gotten disenfranchised with the AFL... Didn't take you long to change your tune did it.

I genuinely hate to say I told you so.

theyve done everything except go public. And what’s the point in that, it will just create more division and Ill feeling in the game here.

no I said fans wouldn’t turn on clubs like Souths if they stopped coming. This is very different, clubs are still coming but fans, who’ve been led down the garden path by previous nrl administrators, have had enough. We’re done Filling the stadium to show we are worthy, f**k Vlandys and his waste of money comments. I’d have no problem continuing to go if there was any signs the nrl was investing that money back and helping the game grow with a clear pathway and strategy but poor John and his team are doing wonders with little money and the goodwill of Cummins. God knows how many tens of millions the nrl have had out WA last 7 years but only a tiny amount of it has come back to support the game, then we get insulted by the chair for good measure. Great businessman this vlandys fella!

The Great Dane

First Grade
theyve done everything except go public. And what’s the point in that, it will just create more division and Ill feeling in the game here.
Firstly, the only way that that division and ill feeling changes is if you get a team. So there's no point in worrying about it, just keep pushing on until you get a team.

Secondly, I described why you'd do that, you get to control the narrative and put the NRL on the defensive; i.e. it's a great tool in the propaganda war.

In other words you can do what the Canberra A-league bids did when they realised that they were going to be be screwed by the A-league/FFA because of the broadcasters and politics (though they didn't do it cynically).

By realising as much info as they possibly could about their bids they made it undeniable that their bids were objectively better than the bids that beat them out in most ways, and forced the A-league/FFA to justify why they overlooked them.
That kept their name in media, which kept them relevant, and it created a bunch of good will within the soccer community because everybody could see they were dudded (twice) and made it undeniable that they could support a club.

To this day every time that expansion is brought up in soccer the A-league is forced to justify why they ignored the Canberra bids, and every time they are forced to do that it makes them look like fools and creates more demand in the broader soccer community for a Canberra team to be brought into the league.
no I said fans wouldn’t turn on clubs like Souths if they stopped coming. This is very different, clubs are still coming but fans, who’ve been led down the garden path by previous nrl administrators, have had enough. We’re done Filling the stadium to show we are worthy, f**k Vlandys and his waste of money comments. I’d have no problem continuing to go if there was any signs the nrl was investing that money back and helping the game grow with a clear pathway and strategy but poor John and his team are doing wonders with little money and the goodwill of Cummins. God knows how many tens of millions the nrl have had out WA last 7 years but only a tiny amount of it has come back to support the game, then we get insulted by the chair for good measure. Great businessman this vlandys fella!
Don't pretend that you aren't describing the exact same social reaction that I was, because you are, and you know you are.

Take it on the chin and move on.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don't pretend that you aren't describing the exact same social reaction that I was, because you are, and you know you are.

Take it on the chin and move on.

Its a totally different scenario to what we were previously talking about which was clubs playing x years somewhere and selling memberships then pulling out. This is about the game and the way it is behaving in WA and the bad taste that is leaving in the mouth of fans here. No one hates Souths for not coming this year!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Its a totally different scenario to what we were previously talking about which was clubs playing x years somewhere and selling memberships then pulling out. This is about the game and the way it is behaving in WA and the bad taste that is leaving in the mouth of fans here. No one hates Souths for not coming this year!
People got jack of the empty promises and being used as an ATM, that lead them to get embittered with the league and the parade of clubs that come through, and they started losing interest in the matches and turning on the game.

That's exactly what happened in Tasmania and Canberra, it's exactly what I said happened in Tasmania and Canberra, and it's exactly what I predicted would happen in Perth given time (though I admit it happened in Perth way quicker than I would have predicted).

The only reason you can't see that is because you didn't want to hear it before so you refused to listen and read into it what you wanted to hear instead of what was actually being said.
So frankly you were warned, it bit you on the arse, and now you are trying to save face.