What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors declare interest

Drzoidberg

Juniors
Interesting:

Warriors declare interest in Sonny Bill
AARON LAWTON

March 7, 2010
EXCLUSIVE
THE Warriors have officially entered the race to sign former league superstar Sonny Bill Williams. However, it's likely the Auckland franchise would have to pay a hefty fee to his former NRL club, the Bulldogs, if they were to lure him to Mt Smart Stadium.
Now playing rugby for Toulon in France's Top 14 competition after walking out on the Bulldogs in 2007, Williams comes off contract in June and his future has been the topic of much speculation in recent weeks.
It was revealed last weekend that Williams is looking to come back to New Zealand and link up with an Air New Zealand Cup franchise, possibly Counties Manukau, in a bid to win selection for the All Blacks before next year's Rugby World Cup.
But there have been growing murmurings within the league world in the past week suggesting a return to the NRL could be on the cards.
If that was to happen, the Bulldogs would have to relax part of their termination deal with Williams which prohibits him from playing for an NRL rival before 2013.
The Warriors' intentions have been signalled by club CEO Wayne Scurrah, who quietly met his Bulldogs counterpart, Todd Greenberg, during the week to ask him what the club's stance would be if the New Zealand franchise made a play for Williams.
"We had a brief discussion while we were both together at the CEOs' conference earlier in the week," Greenberg told The Sun-Herald. "Wayne asked me to clarify our position on Sonny which was, in effect, quite simple.
"The terms of release between ourselves and Sonny stipulate that he can't play for another NRL club until the 2013 season.
"I said to Wayne that if the Warriors were entertaining any thoughts of wanting him to play for them prior to that, he should give me a call and we will have a discussion then."
Australian media this week reported that the Bulldogs would be unlikely to relax the clause in their termination agreement, which would prevent Williams from playing for a rival NRL club.
But Greenberg said he would be willing to have a "commercial discussion" with any club about paying the Bulldogs for an early release.
"All I've said at this stage is that under the current terms another club wouldn't be able to sign him," Greenberg said.
"But if someone wants to call me and have a commercial discussion, which effectively would involve some sort of payment for an early release, we would be happy to have that discussion."
Scurrah was reluctant to talk about his discussions with Greenberg yesterday but conceded his club was interested in Williams.
"We had a brief discussion but I'm not able to go into any details at this stage," he said. "Clearly, we are looking for marquee players and Sonny Bill is one of those."
Scurrah also described his club's chance of signing Williams as "remote" but sources in Australia say the Warriors have "as good a chance as anyone" of securing his signature.
The Sun-Herald understands that, adding further fuel to the fire, the Warriors have approached the superstar's agent, Khoder Nasser, to see what his plans are beyond the middle of this year.
The club is in the position to “bomb” Williams with a huge offer, given that the expensive Australian imports Steve Price and Brent Tate come off contract this year, as does another Queenslander in Michael Luck, and that the Warriors have voluntarily run a wage bill below the $4.1 million salary cap.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...are-interest-in-sonny-bill-20100306-ppsy.html

Martli

Coach
silliest thing ive read on this forum...

do_not_feed_trolls.jpg

Skinner

Coach
Shame if he ends up out at Pukekohe playing for Counties.

He deserves worse than that....Stewart Island Sea Gulls would be too good for that particular individual.

He's a cat of the highest order. He believed his own press, he listened to complete idiots (somebody mention Mundine ?????) and I'm not going to go near his father.

When he couldn't get his own way with the doggies he jumped ship, jumped because Umanga said it was right.......and so did all the other malingerers

Nah.....let him rot in hell....it's where he deserves.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
He deserves worse than that....Stewart Island Sea Gulls would be too good for that particular individual.

He's a cat of the highest order. He believed his own press, he listened to complete idiots (somebody mention Mundine ?????) and I'm not going to go near his father.

When he couldn't get his own way with the doggies he jumped ship, jumped because Umanga said it was right.......and so did all the other malingerers

100% agreement.

Iafeta

Referee

Exactly. I have no time whatsoever for $BW. I don't think it was imaginable to believe that a man would be flying halfway across the mid world mid season and not having the nut sack to tell his team mates, his team mates, his friggen team mates, that he was ditching them. Let alone his contractual obligations, the way he sold his team mates up the river without a paddle - an absolute disgrace.

There's no way known to man I want $BW anywhere near the club.

Iafeta

Referee
He's the biggest flake and fraud in the game. I'd rather lick my own gonads then have him at the Warriors.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
doggies want a million to let him play for the warriors...just leave it and get on with the season

madness