What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors declare interest

tezzah

Juniors
To the disloyal Warriors supporters -good riddens!

This club will survive without you.

Like you NM-hitter I work in the commercial/corporate world where you can understand the value and issues made from one entity/person. Mistakes are made- professional or not you know when you are getting a bad deal. When no one wants to listen its usually those who take a stand against something they truely believe in even when everyone is against there thoughts and words.

ozbash

Referee
Agreed. (Except for that last line, because he's a good guy in real life!) :cool:

true, but this isnt real life...
If the truth be known, ratbags like Iafeta,FEddie,Skinner and even Rich are probably very nice people too. But we cant let that distract us :lol:

back to the news...

Toulon owner Mourad Boudjellal has raised the prospect of Sonny Bill Williams playing rugby for France as the battle for his services hots up, with the Warriors prepared to make him an offer to join the Auckland-based NRL club this season.
Williams, who is off contract at Toulon in May, has attracted interest from the All Blacks, the Warriors and Newcastle Knights but Boudjellal last night told the Sydney Morning Herald the French Top 14 Rugby club wanted him to stay and would be prepared to enter into an arrangement with the NZRU to keep him.

Boudjellal's comments come as the NZ Warriors prepare to launch a cross-code war for Williams's services in the belief that his return to New Zealand to play rugby union would be damaging to the club.
All Blacks coach Graham Henry has been in phone contact with Williams but the NZRU is believed to be yet to make Williams an offer and Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said the club was determined to at least make a bid.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/news/3421754/France-joins-Sonny-Bill-Williams-possible-play-list

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
the price has risen to $2.5 million now...

i wonder if the NRL could have something to say in this. he is a marquee player and good for the NRL as awhole and especially good for the warriors and nz league. could it be that they may say that sonny paid $750,000 already, that the warriors pay what was remaining of his contract with the bulldogs.

Last edited:

nibbs

Bench
$2.5 million.

For the extra bums on seats it would guarantee. I suspect Eric would get his money back in good time. Sonny would be good for the Warriors. Ruben Wiki and co. would be his mentors. I suspect it'd be a different sphere of influence compared to Belmore.

Iafeta. You're a dickhead. So you got your feelings hurt? Harden up. Move on.

Drzoidberg

Juniors
LOL - singlehandedly. Having a tug there mate. The name $BW is far from synonomous with guiding the Bulldogs out of tough times. The Bulldogs were founded on the principle of loyalty and the family spirit. Names like the Moores, Mortimers, Hughes, Terry Lamb, hell even Hazem El Masri has more Bulldog in him in his pinkie finger then $BW will ever have. $BW is a myth compared to them all because all he stands for is numero ono.

What was he on? $500,000 under a salary cap of $4,000,000? So 1/8th of the total cap. And that wasn't enough for his royal highness? You'd never catch a great Bulldog like the aforementioned doing that, $BW wouldn't have a clue what it is to be one of them.

Having a tug on what. What you posted makes no sense in context to what I posted.

2008 Bulldogs couldnt win without sonny they proved that with a spoon to their name.

What I said is he was EXPECTED to singlehandedly carry that club, not that he was expected to singlehandedly keep the bulldogs tradition going, I meant to carry on their success on the field, nothing about loyalty or the family aspect at all. Like I said wouldve been different if he was being expected to carry a less successful club without the same pressure which surround the Dogs, for example the warriors who have nil history bar 1 GF appearance.

The press for one wouldnt have been much of a critical factor, as it was in the whole saga in Sydney.

Keep the posts coming loving that emotion LOL

Last edited:

Micistm

Bench
Im amazed by the emotion in all this. This is business in reality isnt it ?

I earn my living with clients and bank platforms and there is one saying that always rings true. The only people who ever get emotional about money in a deal are the brokers. The big players dont get upset they have patience and get the deal placed in its right time.

SBW is a business venture, Think of him as an Asset, thats all it is or all he is in this picture. Thats how the bulldogs are shaping him in this and I bet my money that is how they were treating him before. Read between the lines.

When a player is treated like an asset he starts to see himself as an asset before being a player in the game he loves. Its not until you ship off elsewhere and you have geniune time to reflect that you can see the truth that was blinded by the glaring sydney lights. That is what turns a boy into a man. Failure and pain.

Im 30 years old and I still make mistakes, the guy was a kid in a shark eat Shark business world. Im sure no matter how you look it, if the Warriors, Tigers, Knights or whoever signed him they will milk and expolit him for every intentional business opportunity possible, given the price is right.

Dont think for one moment if a club can run a smoother cleaner business they wont ditch your favorite player for $ reward. Happens more than you may like to think. There is rarely loyality involved.

You the fan are also commercial item also. A bond to be cashed into at the maturity date.

Having said that I dont think the Warriors are the most onto it sophisticated club out there, just look at their player profiles on their website. They are still 2009 profiles 1 week out from the new season.

I know where you're coming from mate, it is a business, and you raise some valid points.
Personally, where we disagree is that in a business sense, I think of $BW as more of a liability than an asset. I'm sure the Warriors are thinking high risk high cost=high return...I think high risk can=big loss. Bad loss.
There is absolutely no doubting his talent on a League field. None at all (but Union remains to be seen Lol). Assuming he's legit, and loyal, and stays...that talent is only available when he's on field. He's spent so much time off you would not get much bang for your buck.
In addition to that, I'm thinking in a business sense purely as much as an emotional one. Sure, from an emotional point of view I am disgusted with his antics-IMO he let his Club down, his captain&teammates...he let his fans, many of them kids down. He let his previous manager (I remember reading a feature in Sunday News where the wife of the manager was devastated by him-They treated him like a son and he just dropped them to join the mundine crowd)down. His Kiwi league mates and coach down. He let himself down by his pathetic whiney video about his lot in life he sent back from France.
Now from a business point of view, I don't see him as a Warrior. I don't trust his commitment for the massive capital required to invest in him-would he be true to his word? Could you trust him?
I also don't feel comfortable with his ability to stay injury free. Think of the money Tates on, and the on field we have got out of him. Not enough. That situation is magnified to a crazy level with $BW.
And finally-And most importantly-As a business, you need to continue as a profit making organisation. Would $BW help there? I don't believe so. I great player does not necessarily blend in and make a great team. Would other players there be as polarised as the fans? Would there be resentment for the money he's on, or his past antics and treatment of the code? Would you lose as many bums on seats in protest as you would gain in interest? This topic is a good example of how emotional and fired up/polarised fans are over $BW. The PR would be as bad as good. And if he hated the media spotlight before...jeez, that's nothing to what he'll get now.

How would $BW explain his happiness to return to the NRL, and the 'cattle drive' he so hated? His apology when he returned for his boxing jaunt did nothing for me, it was clearly faked and rehearsed.

IMO the young fellow is utterly ****ed in his career unless you can get him away from his 'Bro' Mundine.

All this is still speculation anyway. Has anyone actually asked $BW what he wants, or is all this just a way to get more money out of the frog club?:?

Micistm

Bench

Yep, not a bad read Oz...And that's pretty much my opinion on him. I will have more respect for the guy if he follows this dream to be an AB. And if he stays in France for the dollars, his choice. You never know...he may end up in a french jersey;-)

But if he comes back here to play Union for his trade, at a pay cut, to make the AB side, at least that shows a passion rather than a dollar chasing exercise.

I just don't trust the guy, and don't trust who is representing him. Any team that gambles on him will have some high maintenance on their hands.

Jesbass

First Grade
true, but this isnt real life...
If the truth be known, ratbags like Iafeta,FEddie,Skinner and even Rich are probably very nice people too. But we cant let that distract us :lol:

Apparently you're not half bad, either. (But that's only a rumour!) :lol:

Spoke to my cousin at Warriors HQ and she said most of this is media talk, his name has been mentioned once and that was 2 weeks ago

Iafeta

Referee
one here.

Two here.

one player doesnt make or break a club...why be so snotty to not support your local team because of one player.

dr crane you are a tosser

He's a tosser for having an opinion? No sporting club has the right to think they have a monopoly over a sporting fan. Dr Crane has every right to not want to support them, as you have a right to support them with $BW.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
He's a tosser for having an opinion? No sporting club has the right to think they have a monopoly over a sporting fan.

with that i will also call you a tosser too, you really are, dumb, just dumb

am i a sports club named the dirty hoes? maybe ill register myself as a club...te atatu dirty hoes...has a good ring too it

Iafeta

Referee
Sure. Good luck with that.

Someone asks the question if anyone would turn their back on the club if $BW was signed, he puts his hand up, and because he does he's a tosser? It's his choice why he does or doesn't follow any sports team.