What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors ISP Cup 2017

Cold Roses

Juniors
That's an ok team ...

http://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2017/09/05/_isp_finals_nrl_expe.html

VODAFONE WARRIORS v NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS

UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah

7.05pm, Sunday, September 10

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 ZAC SANTO

2 CHARNZE NICOLL-KLOKSTAD

3 MATTHEW ALLWOOD

4 JUNIOR PAUGA

5 BURETA FARAIMO

6 MAFOA’AEATA HINGANO

7 MASON LINO (c)

8 DANIEL PALAVI

9 MANAIA CHERRINGTON

10 CHARLIE GUBB

11 OFAHIKI OGDEN

12 ISAIAH PAPALI’I

13 JAMES BELL

Interchange:

14 JAZZ TEVAGA

15 CHRIS SATAE

16 ALBERT VETE

17 LIGI SAO

18 TOAFOFOA SIPLEY

20 SAM COOK

21 SEMISI FOTU

Cold Roses

Juniors

Six NRL players return to bolster the Vodafone Warriors’ line-up for Sunday’s Intrust Super Premiership semifinal against Newcastle at UOW Jubilee Oval in Sydney (7.05pm kick-off local time; 9.05pm NZT).

Halves Mason Lino and Ata Hingano, wing Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and forwards Charlie Gubb, Isaiah Papali’i and Jazz Tevaga were all on duty for the club’s injury-ravaged NRL side against Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval last Sunday.

On the same day the under-strength Vodafone Warriors, second in the regular season, lost 20-36 to third-placed Penrith leaving them in a sudden-death playoff against the Knights this week. Seventh-placed Newcastle eliminated sixth-ranked North Sydney 40-18 last week.

With the Vodafone Warriors’ season over, ISP coach Ricky Henry has call on all eligible players this week.

He has named influential captain Lino and Hingano in the halves, Nicoll-Klokstad on the right wing, Gubb as one of the starting front rowers, Papali’i in the second row and Tevaga on the bench.

It means the Vodafone Warriors have 15 players with NRL experience in their squad including five on the extended bench. Of the starting line-up, the only players who haven’t appeared at NRL level are prop Daniel Palavi, second rower Ofahiki Ogden and centre Junior Pauga.

Pauga has appeared in all 23 matches so far while Ogden has missed only one match and Palavi has been used 18 times. Sam Cook, the only other player to appear in all 23 matches, is on the extended seven-man bench.

The Vodafone Warriors took over full control of the side in 2014. Loose forward James Bell has the record for most appearances over the four seasons, this week’s match being his 64th while Lino will be playing his 54th match in the grade; Lino also has the record for most points with 378 including 142 this season.

Centre Matt Allwood plays his 49th ISP match for the club this week.

Blair

Coach
With that side, I'm so confident of a win that I'm skipping this game and planning to go to the GF qualifier the following week at Leichhardt.

I've also jinxed the side this season (and last). I've never been to a game and seen them win!

playdaball

Bench
That's an ok team ...

VODAFONE WARRIORS v NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS

UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah

7.05pm, Sunday, September 10

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 ZAC SANTO

2 CHARNZE NICOLL-KLOKSTAD

3 MATTHEW ALLWOOD

4 JUNIOR PAUGA

5 BURETA FARAIMO

6 MAFOA’AEATA HINGANO

7 MASON LINO (c)

8 DANIEL PALAVI

9 MANAIA CHERRINGTON

10 CHARLIE GUBB

11 OFAHIKI OGDEN

12 ISAIAH PAPALI’I

13 JAMES BELL

Interchange:

14 JAZZ TEVAGA

15 CHRIS SATAE

16 ALBERT VETE

17 LIGI SAO

18 TOAFOFOA SIPLEY

20 SAM COOK

21 SEMISI FOTU

Jazz goes from 1st grade to being on the reverse grade bench.

Hey Guys.
Super keen for this weekend. Went to the game on Sunday. Gutted but still we are going to be threat.
Heres my write up from the game, Fan In The Stand Styles

Up until last weekend my intention was to use my free membership tickets to go to the last Warriors 1st grade game of their horrendous regular season against the Tigers @ leichardt oval on sunday, to show my ongoing and everlasting support for the club. But then the ISP boys dished out a few football lessons against the Tigers reserve grade side in their last NSWRL regular season game which meant they finished 2nd on the ladder and earned a double life for their finals campaign. So didnt even have to think twice about it, stuff Leichardt im off to Kogarah Oval to watch the ISP boys in their 1/4 final against the Panthers.

Rode solo today as the wifey had some work to catch up on the computer and the Son was whipping ass on Minecraft so cranked up some DJ Reminise in the Captiva and off i went. I get to Kogorah early while the curtain raiser is on, get a seat and quickly jump on the internet to check the final team lists for any changes to the ISP team and 1st grade. I knew the night before that Mase had been called up for 1st grade to replace SJ but as i scroll through the team list for 1st grade i see Charnze Nikoll-Klodstad is named on the bench. WTF!!!!!! Congrads to Charnze on his call up as every player im sure strives to play 1st grade but this is a nothing game. f**k me the ISP boys are preparing for their biggest game of the year starting their finals campaign but get their team pilliaged of their key players for a game that sees a team placed 13th on the ladder play the team thats 15th on the ladder.

So from the original team named on tuesday for the ISP team theirs a few changes. Young Kane Telea gets a start at fullback, James Bell starts at hooker with Manai back to the bench and Dan Palavi gets a start in the 2nd row. Also Semisi Fotu comes into the backline. Coach Henry has named a massive forward pack so game plan seems to be to rumble it through the ruck. Also good to see big Albie Vete back to. I duck up to the canteen to get a coke zero which there are none kefs so a coke no sugar will have to do for $5.70 another kefs. But on the way back i bump into the OG Warriors ISP supporter big Tino. Quick chat, always a pleasure bro. I take a good seat for game as the curtain raiser sees Illawarra beat Mounties on the siren with a try. Couple of Warriors supporters sprinkled around the ground as well. With this being the only team reppin the Warriors club we are all quietly confident the boys will get the job done. I quickly scroll through the Panthers line up. Nothing overly exciting as in not much 1st grade experiance. Mitch Rein is hooker hes played over 100 games for the Dragons. But at prop is Kiwi Sitaleki Akauola. Big boy who ive rated for a couple of seasons now.

We kick off in the heat as its about 26 degress out there. 2 tackles in and we are penalised. So Panthers kick for touch and put a few plays on then spin it around and we hold out just but knock on from their kick. From the scrum Panthers spread it wide and cross for a try out on the left side. Dam. Shit start. No ball in hot conditions and an early try. kick misses so down 4-0 after 4 minutes. We kick off again and have a decent set on defence and finally get a chance in possesion. In the set Santo makes a great dart from dummyhalf making 22 metres but confusion in the tackle count sees us turn over possesion on the last. Panthers again attack our right side defence with a set move and a cut out pass to there winger Maika Sivo sees him beat 3 defenders and score a try. Dam. Conversion good and we are down 10-0 after 8 minutes. Boys are a bit flat, hot weather perhaps??? maybe just cos no ball.

We kickoff and Akauola hits it back hard but is smashed by Ofa Ogden. Just what is needed, aggression in the tackle. Unfortuantley we are penalised on the last tackle by a shit call from the ref. More defence coming up in our half. Panrthers again kick for touch and again we are penalised on tackle 1 for another strip. Dubious at best. We survive on our try line as the Panthers are called for a forward pass going for their 3rd try. 10 minutes gone and Roman Reigns lookalike Patrick Sipley is off and up the tunnel. Looks like a head knock. H.I.A test to be done. Cherrington on. We ruck it up with good yards from Ligi Sao and finally get a penalty. Good to be able to get decent field position and more possesion. Ogden makes 15m with a good carry followed by Palavi making the advantage line. We get another penalty and you can feel the shift in momentum. Everyone on the Warriors bench is chaaa hooooing their support. We chuck on a couple of set moves and spin the ball wide to our right and make a line break but Matty Allwood cant hold on and knocks on over the line. Try gone begging but you can see the mood has shifted.

Panthers scrum but we are smashing them and force an error and again we are on attack. We threaten their line again and another backline move sees Matty Allwood grab this opportunity and dives over. 10-4 as Junior Paunga misses the kick. Just goes to show with this team, get us an even share of possesion and we always be a threat. Just cant give away starts. Pat Sipley back from the sheds after his H.I.A test. Watched as Rubin asked if he was good to go, his responce wasnt convincing. Will see what happens. We kick off and in 2 sets of 6 we get 2 more penalties. Attack after attack we are asking lots of questions but Panthers holding us out. Great little grubber from Sam Cook goes dead and Panthers have a 7 tackle set. Ligi Sao produces a massive tackle/hit on Panthers Kaide Ellis which is followed by strong tackles by Palavi and King Vuniyayawa. Panthers made bugger all metres in that set and finsh it off with a shithouse kick going dead and we get a 7 tackle set.

We keep attacking and Chris Satae is held up over the line denied a try. Next play Panthers slowing the play the ball give away another penalty. We tap and set for a set play. 3 tackles later the set move comes off and Sammy Cook shimmys over for a great try. Junior misses and its now 10-8. No worries we will just keep scoring tries and go up in 4s. We are heaps confident now and we have a set where Faraimo beats a couple of tackles making 20m then Sao follows up with a 15m carry and gets away an offload with 3 tacklers on him. Santo makes a line break and chip kicks but cant regather and gets called for a knock on. Nothing much happens in the next few minutes apart from another penalty to us. Dont worry about using the bin ref. Sao gets subbed after a very solid 30 minutes. Massive engine from Ligi in this heat. Big Tof sprints on to replace him and gets amongst it straight away with an effective hitup. 6 minutes to go in the half when a fairly simple move from the Panthers sees winger Christian Crichton crash over out of nothing. Weird weird try. Nothing was doing. We follow that up with some good defence and in possesion Manaia who has made a really good impact darts out from dummy half and unloads to Satae who is dragged down and loses the ball. Right on halftime the boys seem tired and a bit fatigued and Panthers centre Tony Satini eases over for a killa try as the siren goes. Conversion successful and we are down 20-8 at the break.

HALFTIME THOUGHTS

After a shit start the boys dominated a 20 minute period controlling the game nicely. Just Panthers had good scrambling defence saved a couple of tries. So the first 10 minutes we were flat they scored 2 tries. the last 10 minutes we were flat again and they scored 2 tries. When we dominated we scored 2 tries. So the formula is simple, so if we eliminate the flat spots we will be fine.

Bloody hot at the ground. That might have been a factor. Got up to 28 degress

Couple of last passes stick we score at least 3 more tries. So no way are we out of this

Pat Sipley only played 10 minutes so far while Albie Vete hasnt got on yet

PLAYERS TO IMPRESS

* Ligi Sao is killing it. Heaps of hitups and great defence

* Kingi and James Bell are tireless in defence, tackling their asses off, lungs must be burning

* Zac Santo looks very dangerous when in space

* Bureto Faraimo the pick of the backs with lots of hitups and yards

2nd half starts and we recieve the ball as im confidently talking to my mate Blair that we will start better this time but 3 tackles in we knock on and Panthers attack with their first set and score a try from it. Shit cmon boys. I look up at the coaches box and Coach Henry is losing it. Kick misses and its 24-8. Set for set for the next 5 minutes but we pressure the Panthers with good in your face defence and on the last Vuniyayawa charges down a kick and Tof grabs possesion. He plays the ball then comes off with Vete getting his 1st taste of action after missing a few weeks through injury. Sam Cook kicks on the last with Pauga wide open but a cruel bounce sees the try slip away. Not to worry though as next set Pauga makes a great line break and draws the fullback and passes to Santo and scores under the posts. Junior nails the 2 and its 24-14 30 minutes to go.

We again have our game faces on and Chris Satae makes a massive hitup. That is followed by Semisi Fotu who makes 12m. Palavi makes 14m. On the last Cooks bombs to the corner and the Panthers winger drops it. Our ball 5 metres out. We attack and every Panthers tackle they are laying all over us but no penalty given. Bells tackled 1m out and is fighting to play the ball but the Panthers knock it out of his hands but is called a loose carry and scrum. Bullshit. Then the scrum packs and Manaia Cherrington gets a tighthead. WOW!!!!!! Havent seen 1 of those in about 4 years. So we still attacking and Faraimo dives over for the try but it is called back for a forward pass. We are rushing up and attacking their ball runners and applying pressure but we are penalised for being offside. Fotu is down injured for us as Sao comes on for Satae who has been beastmode while on.

Kane Telea who has been pretty safe at the back forces a Panthers kick dead and after we drop it out Panthers ruck it for 2 tackles then the stand off Jarome Luai slices back on the inside for a back braking try. 30-14 down with 22 to go. King Vuniyayawa comes off with a leg injury. Still no Pat Sipley as we go into the last 20. Also big Tof Sipley comes off with a knee injury. With the ball Palavi again makes a good hitup. 20m made again but we knock on 2 plays later. Our next set Sao makes another great offload in traffic setting us up for an attacking set. Cherrington dives over from dummy half but we are penalised for the guy playing the ball being a shephard. Tough penalty as where the hell is the guy playing the ball suppoesed to go???? Panthers kick for touch and hit it up but James Bell smashes the ball runner turning over the ball. We attack but the final tackle kick goes into touch on the full.

Later on Big Ogden makes a line break beating 3. Cook kicks on the last and chases his own kick and strips it 1 on 1 20m out. We cant convert though and are tackled on the last 2m out. Handover sees Panthers hit up for 4 tackles then they make a line break and go 60m to score under the posts. 36-14 9 minutes to go. Shattered. Ligi Sao still giving it all by smashing the Panthers prop in another bone ringer. Then there was a loose ball and a Warriors player chases and dives on it. Guess who. It was Ligi. Last 5 minutes is sloppy from both sides as there are a few errors and im sure the hot humid conditions are having an effect. But just before the end of the game in our last set Ligi again has a mass hitup and barges over for a well earned try. Junior converts and thats the end of the game. 36-20 to Panthers

POST GAME THOUGHTS

Shattered. Didnt see that coming. But we still have a 2nd life in the finals. Looking like its Newcastle this Sunday again at Kogarah. Boys gave it their all and heaps of injuries.

- Tof Sipley jarred knee
- Pat Sipley concussion
- King Vuniyayawa knee
- Semisi Fotu ankle

Tough loss but i believe their were a few factors involved. Having late withdrawals of Mase and CNK to help 1st grade out wouldnt have helped preperation. the heat as well.

PLAYERS TO IMPRESS

- Ligi Sao killed it. Best game ive seen him play ever. Massive minutes, huge motor and great defence
- Chris Satae and Dan Palavi also stood out with their work rates in the middle
- Massive shout outs to the 2 forwards that played the whole 80 minutes in that heat, Ofa and James. Unreal effort
- Santo and Faraimo dangerous out wide

So as i jump into the car im going to flag the usual post footy feed at KFC. Im going to race down the M5 to get home to watch the 1st grade side. Thats why this report is a day late. Im thinking about this weeks sudden death semi against the Knights. hopefully everyone pulls up ok from their bumps and bruises. Also we should have some troops back as well. Mase, Ata, Jazz, Isaiah, possibly gubby. Be interesting how coach henry handles that preperation. All i know is that ill be back here next Sunday giving my support to the only team reppin the club playing finals footy. Hopefully the 1st grade coach Steve Kearney comes over for a look to see how this team rolls and whats available to him for next season. If anyone in Sydney is free next Sunday evening pack the family up and bring them down to cheer the boys on. Let em know that our support runs deeper than 1st grade. BRING THE NOISE!!!!!!!

FAN IN THE STAND FROM KOGARAH OUT!!!!

Blair

Coach
Great write up, champ. I thought that bad call on Bell, 'loose carry', was the turning point. Our momentum died after that., despite the tighthead (we rushed that play). We score there and it's 24-20 with massive minutes left on the clock.

You were with me so I'll tell the others. I had a pleasant dig at Penrith first grade coach, Anthony Griffin, as we walked out after the game.

I asked him where was Penrith's away jersey? Afterall, we finished 2nd, one place above them on the table. The jersey clash on Sunday was one of the worst I've seen.

Griffin just laughed and said he's, 'not in charge of jerseys'.

Matt, I probably can't make it this Sunday, that 7:05 kick-off time is a killer. I understand why it's then though, as they want to allow punters to go to the Sharks game as well.

Last edited:
Great write up, champ. I thought that bad call on Bell, 'loose carry', was the turning point. Our momentum died after that. We score there and it's 24-20 with massive minutes left on the clock.

You were with me so I'll tell the others. I had a pleasant dig at Penrith first grade coach, Anthony Griffin, as we walked out after the game.

I asked him where was Penrith's away jersey? Afterall, we finished 2nd, one place above them on the table. The jersey clash on Sunday was one of the worst I've seen.

Griffin just laughed and said he's, 'not in charge of jerseys'.

Matt, I probably can't make it this Sunday, that 7:05 kick-off time is a killer. I understand why it's then though, as they want to allow punters to go to the Sharks game as well.

Allgood Blair, u will be missed but will cheer loud for ya

Cold Roses

Juniors
Crowd just got a wrap from FoxSports commentators for being vocal. Which of you boys there are arking up?

Blair

Coach
Just before half-time, Warriors 12-0 up.

I'm listening on this link:

steelesports.com.au

Announcer calling Lino, Lee-ah-no.

Sao was Say-o, until he got corrected by his mate.

"Gee, they look awesome, the Warriors." That's the mate talking.

Leber

Bench
Up 18-0 against Newcastle. Get a game against wyong next week. That'll be bloody tough.

Blair

Coach
30-6, final.

Late consolation to the Knights.

What a side we have. Can't wait to be at Leichhardt next Sunday. Last week's unexpected loss probably done us plenty of good, we've found some form.

Latest posts