What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors looking at Eel's Inu

84 Baby

Referee
Id say Fui Fui would/should be a definate starter, but I fail to see why Tahu is an automatic starter other then reputation. Granted I havent seen anyone of these players at training so who knows.

If I had to put money on it, Id say the only players that would definatly start are Hayne and Hindmarsh. I think I read somewhere that Hindmarsh was injured but should be available for round 1. If something goes wrong he could be out.
Fui Fui could go either way. Good to use him from the start as he can set good tempo and dominate opposition, but then he could be used as great strike weapon off the bench. That's why I didn't include him. And yeah Tahu is only a definite starter on reputation. From the moment he signed it was always going to be Tahu and someone else in the centres.

yy_cheng

Coach
Poore and Mk I think are certain starters. I mean you don't fork out $$ for Poore and not use him.

FFMM is a certain starter in the first 17.

Caylo too.

84 Baby

Referee
Poore and Mk I think are certain starters. I mean you don't fork out $$ for Poore and not use him.

FFMM is a certain starter in the first 17.

Caylo too.
True Keating is prob close to being certain, only cause Mitchell is untried. And I forgot Morts, though whether it'll be half or 5/8th is undecided.

Only 2 of Poore, Cayless and Fui are going to start and noone except Anderson can tell me any of them will be definite starters

parra pete

Referee
I've heard the Broncos could be making a play for K Inu now Hodges has hit the wall...Don't yell at me..just what I heard from my Qld connections...and I'm passing it on....

bartman

Immortal
But clubs can ask for cap compensation for long term injuries, can't they? Wasn't there talk that we could claim some money to pay lower guys higher when Tim Smith was deemed "sick" and subsequently removed from the books/top 25...

Delboy

First Grade
Inu does not want to go anywhere according to people I know within the club, this could all be a beat up by Josh M, but sometimes there is no smoke without fire.

I am told he wants to put in a big season at Parra to get a contract extension at the Eels to repay what they have done for him. Hopefully that is the case

Stagger eel

Staff member
I can't for the life of me understand why a club would assist another club by selling one of their high profile players to them, unless they're prepared to use the money to buy another player, it just doesn't make sense

bartman

Immortal
They've shopped Burt, Grothe, Inu, Oake and Hauraki around though Gronk. Methinks it has more to do with who is the most attractive prospect in terms of the salary cap as opposed to how well they did or didn't play. ;-)
Football is becoming more and more like a business these days, and with player-manager involvement and player expectations I don't think we're far away from having mid-season transfer windows like the English Premier League. Contracts aren't what they used to be even five years ago, when there was such an uproar here about Jamie Lyon - now that stuff is common practice on both sides.

I see the shopping around of various players (and now Inu) as purely a reflection of the club's view of their contract value versus their real/current value to the squad - nothing more, nothing less. It started with obvious ones like Oake and Hauraki being permitted to look elsewhere, and since the signing of Tahu it has spread to any back that might be surplus.

I can't for the life of me understand why a club would assist another club by selling one of their high profile players to them, unless they're prepared to use the money to buy another player, it just doesn't make sense

As a club wouldn't be doing this if we were well within our cap for 2010, so I reckon we could possibly be borderline on/above the cap, unless one more player leaves for another offer very early in the season...

Stagger eel

Staff member
As a club wouldn't be doing this if we were well within our cap for 2010, so I reckon we could possibly be borderline on/above the cap, unless one more player leaves for another offer very early in the season...

well the club has more or less poured cold water on it by suggesting that we wouldn't consider selling him for anything less than his full amount, to me that suggest that their within the cap and are prepared to go into the season with every player currently under contract, it's the Warriors camp who are sounding him out not Parra wanting to sell him.

parra pete

Referee
My mate could have been having me on too. Just what he said and told me it was "fair dinkum". Maybe a bit of sh*t stirring. Take it with a grain of salt.....

bartman

Immortal
well the club has more or less poured cold water on it by suggesting that we wouldn't consider selling him for anything less than his full amount, to me that suggest that their within the cap and are prepared to go into the season with every player currently under contract, it's the Warriors camp who are sounding him out not Parra wanting to sell him.
OK.

I'm just trying to coming up with an answer for why we've seen a succession of our contracted players seemingly shopped around, and reported on by our favourite newspaper/columnist. Could it be that our club is now happy to play its games and contract negotiations/bartering down values through the media, where in the past it has all been relatively hush hush? If we accept that is what's going on, then maybe we aren't in cap danger after all. But if it's not using the media to manipulate contract values, and if it's not because we are in some cap doubt, then I too don't know why this has been happening...

strider

Post Whore
I'd say we are within the cap, but not by much - sh*t happens during a year and you have to promote guys and stuff and that might mean we go over ... so what! - lots of teams do, pay a fine if necessary, but keep the talent together for a year

strider

Post Whore
well we have 300K+ less Finches - thats a fair bit of flexiblity there ..... and a handful of others combined would make up a bit of space

Suitman

Post Whore
well we have 300K+ less Finches - thats a fair bit of flexiblity there ..... and a handful of others combined would make up a bit of space

Poore would have taken up much of the 300 you speak of. Then there is The Shack and Tahu. The recycling you speak of is just that. Stuff put out on the curb that has been picked up by hoarders. Can't imagine that what we've lost has saved much under the cap, regardless of the fact that Mr Genious paid overs for quite a bit of rubbish. Thank god most of it has since been recycled.

Suity

Stagger eel

Staff member
on top of what Finch freed up, Hindy also extended his deal which meant some ammendment and backloading of his 2010-2012 deal, Lowrie's 3rd year deal was also quite a tidy sum.

strider

Post Whore
and tahu is apparently back ended too .... i can image the guys we lost would likely cover what we gained .... but as I said, I expect its a tight fit .... I'm betting if weller finally figures there is a contract in hte UK for him :)lol:) then we'd be more than sweet

Pricey73

Juniors
I think we will see ERJ leave and pursue bigger money in England and Japan. Inu will depend on his form but in played fantastic outside Tahu in 2007...