What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors - most frustrating team of all time?

Juju

Juniors
FFS Benji came here at 16. Some here saw enough in him to give him a scholarship. Why didn't the Warriors see the biggest kiwi talent of a generation.
How did Brisbane miss out on Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk?

1. Souths aren't relevant to this discussion. I didn't bring us up, I didn't say we're better than or equal to or worse than them. Souths shave nothing to do with this thread.
2. Hint: your club is above theirs on the ladder. I'm sure they'd like to swap results with you too.
3. I'm done replying to you in this thread. I'm just being dragged down to your level. I'm over your childish irrelevant attacks.

1 you are a complete moron
2 ummm well there is nothing more to add

firechild

First Grade
FFS Benji came here at 16. Some here saw enough in him to give him a scholarship. Why didn't the Warriors see the biggest kiwi talent of a generation.

And how do you explain your expectation of the Warriors to pick up Foran? He went to school on the North Shore.

Iafeta

Referee
There's no difference between losing a grand final and getting knocked out in the first week. Once you make the finals it's all about winning the GF. NOONE remembers how deep teams go into September if they don't win.

As for what the Warriors have brought to the comp. I hate how you haven't given yourselves a proper name. You're like the Roosters and Tigers, f**ken call yourselves Auckland/New Zealand. But besides that of course the Warriors have been a good thing. The NZ tv rights adds a nice extra chunk to the tv rights income and it's great for kiwi talent to have a direct pathway to the NRL.

But I do find it strange how poor the Warriors are at retaining talent. Look at Luke, Benji and Foran. The core of your test spine is playing for our clubs. Great for us but a poor indication of talent scouting over there. And you almost lost Shaun Johnson to AFL!

Ahhh... Issac Luke was from Taranaki which is about what, 4-5 hours out of Auckland, Kieran Foran moved to Australia as a youngster from memory for his parents who had a job over here, Benji, yeah maybe, although he also is from Whakatane which is also not anywhere near Auckland. To suggest the Warriors have the pick of the country when there are scouts all over the joint is ludicrous. Further to that, at the time the club basically had first grade and an affiliation with the Bartercard Cup. It didn't have the U20s or NSW Premier League, so of course they were going to lose players.

That's why I think the Warriors will finish mid table more often than not. They're not the top 2/4 team everyone thinks they are because contrary to popular opinion, they are not the Kiwi test team.

I don't think anyone genuinely believes any team that hasn't got a history of rorting the cap is consistently going to be a top 2-4 team. No one, aside from Ray Hadley commentating, is delusional enough to think they are the Kiwi test team.

We have a salary capped comp, they are no super power. That's why they finish mid table much more often than top 4.

As is the case for practically any other team, yes?

Your biggest problem is talent retention. Whoever is in charge of it across the pond knows to get the fastest/biggest/strongest athletes. You know to keep the athletes, but you guys aren't very good at retaining footballers. Your best pure footballers have been picked up by our clubs for a reason.

Who have the Warriors let go the past few years? Mostly old heads as I've stated elsewhere. A lot of the other blokes they've let go haven't played consistent first grade in most cases... I'm seriously trying to rattle my mind over the past say 3 years... Leeson Ah Mau, Suiatonga Likiliki, Daniel O'Regan all debuted at the Warriors but have played limited or in some cases no first grade football elsewhere. Nafe Seluini is already onto his second club, Steve Rapira (who has come back) went ok but didn't overly excel, Other blokes... Berrigan is struggling at Canberra, Latimore is still doing much the same with the Dragons, Seymour, Heremaia, Moon, Hohaia, are all in the UK so seemingly not wanted by other NRL clubs, McKinnon as expected was busted when he was let go, Upu Poching is back playing reserve grade... Who am I missing that supposedly we should have retained bunniesderp?

What I will say, and have said consistently, is out of Heremaia, Berrigan, Moon, Seymour, Hohaia... none of them are necessarily better than any of the talent in the squad currently (an argument can be made for Hohaia), but somewhere along the line I think there should have been a realisation that a lot of experience all basically at once is leaving the club. In that sense it would have been good for a Berrigan or Hohaia to still be at the club.

Iafeta

Referee
Things like this is why people get stuck into you more than you deserve at times, but I will get into that in a second.

For the record I agree with what you're saying here. While the NYC was the best thing to happen in some time for the Warriors junior development, they still aren't always making the right decisions in regards to who they keep and let go. Despite that, it's hard to count guys like Benji and Foran who were raised in Australia as opposed to being under the Warriors nose from day one. The Warriors scouting was also absolutely piss poor back in the Benji days so no real surprise in that regards.

But getting back to why people get stuck into you. You make comments like the one above which are in many cases completely valid, which is why it boggles the mind to understand why when Glenn/Watson made the very positive announcement a few weeks ago you completely ridiculed and rubbished it when the idea of that announcement is to set the Warriors up to do exactly what it is you're saying they don't do.

You summed it up right there. And the bloke is going woe-was-me, why do people think I'm Bunniesderp the stupid and a significant reason why my club is mocked on the forum? :crazy:

Iafeta

Referee
How did Brisbane miss out on Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk?

Going by Bunniesderp logic, given Taranaki and Whakatane are certainly not and never have been Auckland, you could also criticise the Broncos for not getting Jonathan Thurston and Matt Bowen, and have a shot at Souffs for not getting Josh Dugan and Andrew Johns. They are basically the same geographical relevance to Souffs territory as Taranaki and Whakatane are to Auckland.

Iafeta

Referee

Benji also went for education. Things historically have been different, as aluded to recently (which you mocked) by Owen Glenn and Eric Watson in New Zealand. In New Zealand, we don't have high schools like Keebra that puts such a massive emphasis on rugby league development programs... the high schools don't really scout into the Bay of Plenty to pick up contacts, like Keebra (through its affiliation with Wests), does. That is one (amongst several other very valid reasons) of the reasons for Glenn and Watson to make their announcement on the strategy to be employed at the club.

Going by Bunniesderp logic, given Taranaki and Whakatane are certainly not and never have been Auckland, you could also criticise the Broncos for not getting Jonathan Thurston and Matt Bowen, and have a shot at Souffs for not getting Josh Dugan and Andrew Johns. They are basically the same geographical relevance to Souffs territory as Taranaki and Whakatane are to Auckland.

Taranaki and Whakatane are in Queensland, right?

I am sure everywhere is Queensland

Iafeta

Referee
Don't worry Juju, Bunniesderp the chronic sycophantic liar will be back... why? Because he/she/it follows the old bike peddlar logic... a broken clock can still be right twice a day.

Batter-up Bunniesderp, can't wait for your next illogical post.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
There's no difference between losing a grand final and getting knocked out in the first week. Once you make the finals it's all about winning the GF. NOONE remembers how deep teams go into September if they don't win.

As for what the Warriors have brought to the comp. I hate how you haven't given yourselves a proper name. You're like the Roosters and Tigers, f**ken call yourselves Auckland/New Zealand. But besides that of course the Warriors have been a good thing. The NZ tv rights adds a nice extra chunk to the tv rights income and it's great for kiwi talent to have a direct pathway to the NRL.

But I do find it strange how poor the Warriors are at retaining talent. Look at Luke, Benji and Foran. The core of your test spine is playing for our clubs. Great for us but a poor indication of talent scouting over there. And you almost lost Shaun Johnson to AFL!

That's why I think the Warriors will finish mid table more often than not. They're not the top 2/4 team everyone thinks they are because contrary to popular opinion, they are not the Kiwi test team. We have a salary capped comp, they are no super power. That's why they finish mid table much more often than top 4.

Your biggest problem is talent retention. Whoever is in charge of it across the pond knows to get the fastest/biggest/strongest athletes. You know to keep the athletes, but you guys aren't very good at retaining footballers. Your best pure footballers have been picked up by our clubs for a reason.

Again, so much failing.

A) Losing in the first round of the finals is a lot different to losing in the GF. Plenty of people remember we beat the Tigers and Storm to make last year's GF. Tell the fans of the first round losers that point about 'no difference'. Their season is over whilst other teams' fans are soaking up more big matches, and we got the thrill of the GF last year. Not really all that keen to play the man but I suppose I can forgive you, seeing you're too young to know what your team going past round one feels like. And your dad probably is too. And your other dad.

B) We are called the NZ Warriors. We are registered as such, I believe. And are the Tigers not the Wests Tigers? We went away from Auckland because it wasn't a smart brand to have in a one-team country.

C) That 'you didn't identify him, didn't keep him' rubbish is exactly that. Rubbish. It's a country of 4 million, can we keep every single player? Those players were never Warriors juniors, nor from Auckland. They're just as available to any side. You could have an argument if you said Ben Te'o, Shaun Kenny Dowell or someone who actually was on our books.

D) Shaun Johnson was not almost lost to AFL. You must've read that in the DT while you were trawling for 'scoops'.

I honestly feel we're a great coach away from being a consistent top four side and winning our maiden premiership. We had a very good one in Cleary, who got us to a GF, and three finals in six years. We had a very good one in Anderson, who got us to a GF and two finals. If we get a great one, with the talent on our books, we'll win it. That's not McClennan, FYI.

The Warriors are a great side and should be doing better this year then their ladder position. In my opinion it's a coach issue, so agree with the above post.

Get an experience Coach in there and watch out. They are a scary team when on song.

Rebel

First Grade

Why didnt souths? Why didnt melbourne? Why didnt the dragons? Why didn't the Roosters? etc etc.

mongoose

Coach
going off topic but NZ needs a second team, sooner rather than later. Having a local rival for the warriors would add another dimension to comp. A lot more junior talent would be picked up. The new administration needs to seriously consider bringing in a team in 2015-2016.

hitman82

Bench
going off topic but NZ needs a second team, sooner rather than later. Having a local rival for the warriors would add another dimension to comp. A lot more junior talent would be picked up. The new administration needs to seriously consider bringing in a team in 2015-2016.

Not to mention the effect this would have for league in NZ. Our NYC team is by far the most professional and visible youth team of ANY sports in this country, and the "pathway" it provides is already encouraging a lot of young athletes to give rugby league a shot. Having a second NRL club and, consequently, TWO Toyota Cup sides operating within NZ would be fantastic for the game.

Wellington is a sports-mad city, but we are starved of a decent team to support. An NRL team here would be HUGE for the area, and rugby league participation numbers would soar. This would also create an awesome rivalry with the Auckland based NRL team...

Izz

Bench
lol@bunniesman. His arms must be getting tired from having to shift the goalposts of his argument so much.

firechild

First Grade
Wellington is a sports-mad city, but we are starved of a decent team to support. An NRL team here would be HUGE for the area, and rugby league participation numbers would soar. This would also create an awesome rivalry with the Auckland based NRL team...

Would you jump ship if a new team was formed in Wellington? How many Warriors fans do you think would switch their allegiancies? Would people from the South Island be more likely to follow a Wellington based club than an Auckland one? I think this would be a fantastic thing for NZ rugby league and international league. It might also give someone else a chance in NYC.

hitman82

Bench
Would you jump ship if a new team was formed in Wellington? How many Warriors fans do you think would switch their allegiancies? Would people from the South Island be more likely to follow a Wellington based club than an Auckland one? I think this would be a fantastic thing for NZ rugby league and international league. It might also give someone else a chance in NYC.

:lol:

I think most Warriors fans would take on the Wellington side as their "second" club, and locals would attend their games and buy their merch as such.

Over time perhaps non-Auckland Warriors supporters would switch to the Wellington team, but it's kind of hard for me to say since I grew up in Auckland and consider my loyalties to lie there. Southern born and bred Warriors fans may feel differently.

Wellington is big on novelty sporting events, and I think the general public would give a fantastic instant support base to an NRL team here. It's not like we are a "union" city or a "soccer" city - so we wouldn't have to battle to steal fans from other codes. NRL games played in Wellington have always been very well attended. For the general public, having a new sports team to support against both the Aussies and Auckland would be hugely appealing.

I generally just feel there is so much more to be gained from an NZ expansion than from any currently-proposed Australian one, though I do think the second Brisbane team would be a great addition... pretty much because I hate the Broncos.

The Warriors management recently stated they want to take a couple of home games to other parts of NZ each season, so hopefully this will help build support for a second NZ team...

Latest posts