What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors play hardball with Shaun Johnson

JJ

Immortal
Flanagan's reign at Cronulla is teetering... pretty murky cast of characters at that club
every pantomime needs a villain - media interests are suited better if they play Cronulla as the villain, as opposed to the (IMO) much more deserving Melbourne, Brisbane, or Roosters

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
every pantomime needs a villain - media interests are suited better if they play Cronulla as the villain, as opposed to the (IMO) much more deserving Melbourne, Brisbane, or Roosters
To be fair Melbourne has had their time in the sun as villains too

JJ

Immortal
To be fair Melbourne has had their time in the sun as villains too
Yeah, but the media's love of Slater and Bellamy, and to a degree Smith and Cronk has always helped them out...

I get Bellamy's good, but ignore the salary cap and recruit 4 all time greats, plus Cronk and I reckon I'd go ok too

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Yeah, but the media's love of Slater and Bellamy, and to a degree Smith and Cronk has always helped them out...

I get Bellamy's good, but ignore the salary cap and recruit 4 all time greats, plus Cronk and I reckon I'd go ok too
lol i get what you are saying but most of Bellamy's gold, in my opinion, is in his ability to squeeze the juice out of lemons such as blair, lowrie, neilsen, etc etc etc etc

Anyone can coach those 4 stars, but not everyone could coach the 13 duds/kids/journeymen/prospects around them

JJ

Immortal
lol i get what you are saying but most of Bellamy's gold, in my opinion, is in his ability to squeeze the juice out of lemons such as blair, lowrie, neilsen, etc etc etc etc

Anyone can coach those 4 stars, but not everyone could coach the 13 duds/kids/journeymen/prospects around them
Yeah - I agree - but don't forget Inglis (one of my 4 greats plus Cronk, or perhaps 5 greats), not to mention the likes of Hoffman and others - it wasn't all duds - but he can turn duds in bots - not saying he's a bad coach at all, clearly created great systems, great culture etc - but a core of (at various times) Smith, Slater, Cronk, Inglis, Hoffman, Bromwich, Johnson, Chambers and even the young Blair is pretty handy

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

You'd get a lot of people saying the four all-time greats certainly didn't come to Melbourne as such...only Inglis was a flat-out can't miss talent.

But Bellamy is a myth in big games as a coach. Ignoring the cheating premierships, Melbourne have won 2 of 6 GFs in his tenure, plus he stunk as a NSW coach.

Reactions: JJ

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
He is acting like the burnt/dumped ex-lover.
Everything is so much better in his new fresh relationship.

The club seems to be taking the higher moral ground, which seems to be part of the new culture. Showing as much respect as they can.

That's right.

The telling factor for me is that after eight seasons at the club, in the most pivotal position on the field and on the most money, Shaun still couldn't find his way into the leadership group. What does that tell everyone...if he was as committed as he often tweeted he was, he'd have been in there no sweat.

Anyway, the club is much bigger than any one person. The old number 7 is gone, and I don't wish to give him another thought. Good luck to the guy who wears it round 1 and beyond, there seems to be a strong club culture building and whoever it is will enjoy playing next to one of the best in the business in Green.

Matua

Bench
Yeah - I agree - but don't forget Inglis (one of my 4 greats plus Cronk, or perhaps 5 greats), not to mention the likes of Hoffman and others - it wasn't all duds - but he can turn duds in bots - not saying he's a bad coach at all, clearly created great systems, great culture etc - but a core of (at various times) Smith, Slater, Cronk, Inglis, Hoffman, Bromwich, Johnson, Chambers and even the young Blair is pretty handy
If Bromwich was Aussie he'd be hailed as an all time great.

You'd get a lot of people saying the four all-time greats certainly didn't come to Melbourne as such...only Inglis was a flat-out can't miss talent.

But Bellamy is a myth in big games as a coach. Ignoring the cheating premierships, Melbourne have won 2 of 6 GFs in his tenure, plus he stunk as a NSW coach.
Bahahaha, getting to 6 GFs is flipping hard let alone winning two of them ... and then add back in the 'cheating'* ones and you can't argue with that record.

*I doubt there is a club that hasn't cheated.

WellsNZ

Juniors
I don't know about all time great, that's a pretty f**king hefty standard. But if he was Aussie and been able to build himself a strong Origin career (which he certainly could have) then he'd definitely have been able to build a much stronger legacy. Especially if he had been part of that Queensland dynasty ala Scott.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I don't know about all time great, that's a pretty f**king hefty standard. But if he was Aussie and been able to build himself a strong Origin career (which he certainly could have) then he'd definitely have been able to build a much stronger legacy. Especially if he had been part of that Queensland dynasty ala Scott.

Yep being a kiwi at the storm is probably the best way to have top shelf career while barely being recognisable on the street.

Matua

Bench
True, I may have gone a bit overboard with the hyperbole ... but if he was an Aussie playing Origina the Ockers would go nuts over them. He's leagues ahead of Tamou and even Tamou had media fawn over him in his brief prime.

Weirdly, Gus seems to be the only guy ever to rate Kiwi props, he heaps the praise on Bromwich and when Matulino was in his prime he rightly called him as one of the best props in the game.

Benek

Juniors
Shame SJ. Sounds like your new coach is about to get banned. How's that move looking now?

Iafeta

Referee
ROFL @ Shaun with the thumbs up how Flanagoon is a better communicator with his senior blokes. Yep, you can never argue he doesn’t communicate... even when it’s not legal for him to do so.

It’s almost karma after that ludicrous match winning try grid iron pass earlier on in the year against us.

Latest posts