What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors play hardball with Shaun Johnson

Rich102

Staff member
Perth will be a good home for SJ.
Hard ground, long flights and as far from NZ as possible.

Not sure how the logistics of it all would play out, surely they play in Cronulla this year with NRL running the show and relocate 2020.
Not sure of any expansion enterprise that has all the infrastructure in place for a team to be dropped on then in less than 12 weeks.
(12 weeks till we play Bulldogs rnd1 today)

Rich102

Staff member
Shaun Johnson's ego couldn't handle taking on the challenge of playing for his future at the Warriors next season.

Last week will go down as a turning point for the club, still waiting to win its first Premiership.

It was one where Johnson showed he wasn't willing to play for the club any longer, even though he would earn over $1 million next season, preferring instead to go to the Sharks, with whom he signed a three-year deal on Saturday.

But it was also the defining moment in Cameron George's tenure as the club's chief executive.

Throughout Johnson's time at the Warriors he was held up as the club's poster boy, with the talent to bring the club success.

As his star rose, his value increased, but the performances remained erratic. One week he'd score an incredible try that few others in the world could, the next you'd hardly notice him.

The beginning of the problem that led to Johnson asking for a release, wasn't a few weeks ago when news came out that the club didn't want to offer him a new contract yet.

It goes back to April 2017 when Johnson signed a two-year deal for $1.1m a season.

His contract was up at the end of that year and he advised the club he wanted to test the market.

He had already indicated to the club he wasn't sure if the Warriors was the right club for him.

Johnson is, of course entitled to do that and the Warriors waited for him, but then decided to pay him $1.1m a season, making him the highest paid player in the club's history.

Remember, this was a halfback for a team that hadn't make the finals since 2011. It's hard to imagine the Storm keeping Cooper Cronk on more than $1m a season if they had gone six years without making the finals.

The money paid to Johnson caused an imbalance in the Warriors' playing roster as he was taking up 10 per cent of the salary cap and there was a lack of depth in other positions because of it.

The Warriors management knew they had to reset the cap and they had one player who was on too much.

The club never intended for Johnson to not be there in 2019, they wouldn't have given Mason Lino and early release to go to the Knights if they had and they hadn't drawn a line through not offering Johnson a contract beyond next season.

But was it a smart move to offer him that big contract now? By 2020 Johnson will be 30 and it would have been a risk offering similar money to what he was on, this far out, especially when he's continually struggled for consistency.

However the Warriors handled this, it was never going to end well.

George had to decide whether they should continue paying an erratic player such a large proportion of the cap, when the current model clearly hadn't worked, with fans and sponsors crying out for - and deserving - success.

He was never going to win a popularity contest with Johnson, but needed to put the club in a better position to win a Premiership, which meant not tying up so much money in Johnson.

But on the back of that, Johnson felt he was unloved, because it wasn't their priority to re-sign him.

So while it was OK for Johnson to test the market when it suited him, he wasn't happy when the club did likewise.

So Johnson asked for a release last week and was granted one.

When George started, in his first interview with Stuff he stated there would be no excuses at the club anymore and everyone would be held accountable.

Last week showed that he's carrying through with that, whether it's Johnson or James Gavet who was firstly stood down, then shown the door for being late to training.

Johnson wasn't up for the challenge and it has sent out a poor message to the rest of his team-mates.

Johnson could have chosen to remain with the Warriors for next year and still be the club's highest paid player.

But instead he's left the Warriors in the lurch and thrown his old team-mates under the bus.

Players aren't stupid, they know how hard it will be to find a suitable replacement and how his actions may have damaged the team's chances of winning the Premiership next year.

The past week is reminiscent of how Wally Lewis was sacked as Broncos captain by Wayne Bennett in 1989 and then moved on the next year.

Bennett knew he had to make that unpopular call for the club's long term success and he was right.

There's a statue of Lewis outside Suncorp Stadium these days. Will there ever be one of Johnson at Mt Smart Stadium?

www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/109019682/shaun-johnson-put-himself-before-teammates-by-quitting-warriors

JJ

Immortal
No statue lol

Not really like the King IMO he was at the end of his career starting to get injuries etc and wanted to stay... of course he was an all time great and Qld legend and I guess had a big ego, the ego is probably the common factor but Wally at least earned the right to have one

¿N. ig-mah¿

Juniors
The Wally Lewis situation is closer to how Steve Price went out with us than how Princess did. Price had proved to be a good leader, the club was going quite well (compared to Johnsons tenure), and Ivan, out of nowhere and quite dramatically, announces Price will not remain as captain, and Simon would take over beginning in the new year. Unfortunately, Price also was having his own injury issues, and never returned to the field, but he did stay close with the club and has always remained loyal. His career wasnt long enough with us to warrant a statue, naturally, but his situation is far closer to Lewis's than Shaun's is.

Johnson gave up every claim to a statue, or a legend, when he threw his toys like a little bitch when challenged to live up to his own hype. Mentally too weak to take it. A wreck of a club lime the Sharks, with their aggressive and ugly fans will be the making (I doubt it), or the breaking (highly likely after the first supporter call for him to step up) of his psyche.

He will go down in history, but it will be as the most undelivered potential in the history of the game. He will make the careers of The Fish, nobby, Carlos, Tui, Tompkins in the NRL, and all the rest seem like nothing.

But in Johnson's head, to be remembered will be enough. It will be the fault of the game that he never hit the top, not him.

But maybe we could build a small, weak, plastic statue to him outside the exit to remind us to only pay for success, not potential.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The Wally Lewis situation is closer to how Steve Price went out with us than how Princess did. Price had proved to be a good leader, the club was going quite well (compared to Johnsons tenure), and Ivan, out of nowhere and quite dramatically, announces Price will not remain as captain, and Simon would take over beginning in the new year. Unfortunately, Price also was having his own injury issues, and never returned to the field, but he did stay close with the club and has always remained loyal. His career wasnt long enough with us to warrant a statue, naturally, but his situation is far closer to Lewis's than Shaun's is.

Johnson gave up every claim to a statue, or a legend, when he threw his toys like a little bitch when challenged to live up to his own hype. Mentally too weak to take it. A wreck of a club lime the Sharks, with their aggressive and ugly fans will be the making (I doubt it), or the breaking (highly likely after the first supporter call for him to step up) of his psyche.

He will go down in history, but it will be as the most undelivered potential in the history of the game. He will make the careers of The Fish, nobby, Carlos, Tui, Tompkins in the NRL, and all the rest seem like nothing.

But in Johnson's head, to be remembered will be enough. It will be the fault of the game that he never hit the top, not him.

But maybe we could build a small, weak, plastic statue to him outside the exit to remind us to only pay for success, not potential.

Yep was sad what happened to Pricey but it was forced by his injuries and he knew it I think.

¿N. ig-mah¿

Juniors
Yep was sad what happened to Pricey but it was forced by his injuries and he knew it I think.
His injury didnt get him demoted. The depth of his injury wasnt know until the season proper. He was dropped as captain b4 that. I have struggled with Ivan and Simons part in this since then. I believe Steve Price could have been instrumental in many careers if he was allowed to remain. His obsession with life after the NRL would have made Fish, Locke, Princess, etc thirsty and driven. His treatment paved the way for Shaun Johnson situations - entitled little pricks making money b4 they earned it. That moment caused Shaun's wobbly more than any other.

spear tackle

Juniors
"ring ring, "hello Warriors HQ" .
S"Hi its me Shaun Johnson is Cameron there please"?
S"Hi Cam here, whats up?"
C"What?"
S"er its me Shaun"
C"who?"
S"I used to play 7 for you guys"
C"Oh right"
S"Things didn't work out at the Sharks so I'm a free agent"
C"Groovy dude, have you tried Storm, Roosters or Bronco's?"
S"Um yeah they have nothing left under the cap"
C" Well we have, we can offer 150k per year, which according to latest stats is better than what most people earn in New Zealand"
S" Do I get sponsorship?"
C"Yeah you do but that's ball is in your court, you will have to do some door knocking"
S"But according to news reports you have loads of spare money"
C"Yeah we do but we are holding out for loyal types and preferably front rowers,so are you keen or what?
*Click*

"ring ring, "hello Warriors HQ" .
S"Hi its me Shaun Johnson is Cameron there please"?
S"Hi Cam here, whats up?"
C"What?"
S"er its me Shaun"
C"who?"
S"I used to play 7 for you guys"
C"Oh right"
S"Things didn't work out at the Sharks so I'm a free agent"
C"Groovy dude, have you tried Storm, Roosters or Bronco's?"
S"Um yeah they have nothing left under the cap"
C" Well we have, we can offer 150k per year, which according to latest stats is better than what most people earn in New Zealand"
S" Do I get sponsorship?"
C"Yeah you do but that's ball is in your court, you will have to do some door knocking"
S"But according to news reports you have loads of spare money"
C"Yeah we do but we are holding out for loyal types and preferably front rowers,so are you keen or what?
*Click*
Looks like its Eels or Tigers.
He could have a crack at the NFL??? :)