What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors play hardball with Shaun Johnson

Matua

Bench
C"Yeah we do but we are holding out for loyal types and preferably front rowers,so are you keen or what?
*Click*
I'm no big fan of Johnson but man people have gotten stupid about him. I doubt there's more than 8-10 guys at the club who have played more games than him, he was at the club over 10 years - and clearly the club didn't want him next year (and that's their right) because they managed him out (without having someone to replace him with) so it's not disloyal for him to seek a release in those circumstances.

Rich102

Staff member
"ring ring, "hello Warriors HQ" .
S"Hi its me Shaun Johnson is Cameron there please"?
S"Hi Cam here, whats up?"
C"What?"
S"er its me Shaun"
C"who?"
S"I used to play 7 for you guys"
C"Oh right"
S"Things didn't work out at the Sharks so I'm a free agent"
C"Groovy dude, have you tried Storm, Roosters or Bronco's?"
S"Um yeah they have nothing left under the cap"
C" Well we have, we can offer 150k per year, which according to latest stats is better than what most people earn in New Zealand"
S" Do I get sponsorship?"
C"Yeah you do but that's ball is in your court, you will have to do some door knocking"
S"But according to news reports you have loads of spare money"
C"Yeah we do but we are holding out for loyal types and preferably front rowers,so are you keen or what?
*Click*

Could be more like:
Ring, Ring
Good morning Vodafone Warriors.
Hi, Can I speak to Cameron please?
Who is calling please?
Is me. Shaun Johnson.
One moment please..........

Hello Shaun, Mr George is in a meeting.
He said to leave him a message when you find a new club

spear tackle

Juniors
I'm no big fan of Johnson but man people have gotten stupid about him. I doubt there's more than 8-10 guys at the club who have played more games than him, he was at the club over 10 years - and clearly the club didn't want him next year (and that's their right) because they managed him out (without having someone to replace him with) so it's not disloyal for him to seek a release in those circumstances.
I actually did like the guy but if you go to a meeting and ask for a release after being told that it was about time you started fronting up week in and week out and show the fans you are worth your pay packet I find it difficult to feel sorry for him.

Matua

Bench
I actually did like the guy but if you go to a meeting and ask for a release after being told that it was about time you started fronting up week in and week out and show the fans you are worth your pay packet I find it difficult to feel sorry for him.
It's not about feeling sorry for him.

But lets imagine you've been working in a job for a number of years and been doing it fairly well, well enough that the owners keep upgrading your contract, but your company isn't the most successful around. Then the new owners of your company tell you they're not going to give you another contract after this current one unless you take a huge pay cut. Would you hang around or would you move to another company?

spear tackle

Juniors

But lets imagine you've been working in a job for a number of years and been doing it fairly well, well enough that the owners keep upgrading your contract, but your company isn't the most successful around. Then the new owners of your company tell you they're not going to give you another contract after this current one unless you take a huge pay cut. Would you hang around or would you move to another company?
Well you would look around and be sure you have a stable job to go to (which I suspect he already had sussed a deal) before asking for a release. Sharks are not a stable club right now and his manager should have known that so now hes facing the possibility of being shut out as just about every club is maxed out on the cap. Still if any club want him and has to shed a few players, lets hope theres a few front rowers that fit the mold of what we are looking for or rather that club coaching staff see a future in.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade

No one here would take a pay cut. That's ALL I'm saying.

TheDMC

Bench
You might if you were getting paid ridiculous amounts and the company was struggling because you couldn't deliver the profits that they hoped you would for their investment. And they still offered to pay you a very good salary.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

The difference is Johnson wasn't in a permanent job, he was a contractor. He was effectively told "theres another contract coming up for you but it won't be as good as the current one" Plenty of contractors deal with similar situations.

Last edited:

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
You might if you were getting paid ridiculous amounts and the company was struggling because you couldn't deliver the profits that they hoped you would for their investment. And they still offered to pay you a very good salary.
Nah. I wouldn't take a pay cut and neither would you. You go to your job first thing this Monday and ask them to decrease your pay. Of course you wouldn't. Thats all Im saying is that you wouldnt take a pay cut. Lets have a look at my comment and see what I said...
Clear as day and easy to understand. No one here will take a pay cut. Agree? of course yous do, lets not bullshit.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
The difference is Johnson wasn't in a permanent job, he was a contractor. He was effectively told "theres another contract coming up for you but it won't be as good as the current one" Plenty of contractors deal with similar situations.
And so he looked elsewhere like the Warriors allowed him too and many are stressing out, crying and moaning about it. They don't have the ability to move on and they also fail to realise that.

This will be the past soon and peeps will finally move on like Ive done AGES ago. MARK my words..

Rich102

Staff member
And so he looked elsewhere like the Warriors allowed him too and many are stressing out, crying and moaning about it. They don't have the ability to move on and they also fail to realise that.

This will be the past soon and peeps will finally move on like Ive done AGES ago. MARK my words..

Obviously not. Otherwise you wouldn't still be going on about it.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It’s a geniused comparison anyway considering none of us are earning 20x the average NZ income, unlike Johnson. A pay cut from 1M to 700K isn’t comparable to a cut from 100K to 70k or 50K to 35k in its impact on the individual.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Obviously not. Otherwise you wouldn't still be going on about it.
How many times have you posted about it? Im obviously not as stressed out about as you. All Im posting is about is for others to get over it man. Obviously you cant and you don't realise that you cant, YET.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
It’s a geniused comparison anyway considering none of us are earning 20x the average NZ income, unlike Johnson. A pay cut from 1M to 700K isn’t comparable to a cut from 100K to 70k or 50K to 35k in its impact on the individual.
I made no comparison. The point is you just wouldnt take a pay cut. Thats ALL I'm saying. Im talking about YOU, not Shaun. What would YOU accept. YOU the one who recommends others take pay cuts. Im just saying the truth and that is we wouldnt take a pay cut.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I made no comparison. The point is you just wouldnt take a pay cut. Thats ALL I'm saying. Im talking about YOU, not Shaun. What would YOU accept. YOU the one who recommends others take pay cuts. Im just saying the truth and that is we wouldnt take a pay cut.

If I was on 1M a year and nobody else in my company was on more than 800 (and most less than half that), yes I would take a pay cut.
But as I’m on about 1/10th that, and the same as the majority of my workmates, the situation isn’t comparable.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Thats all Im saying on this matter. I'll leave you guys to stress about who Shaun is playing for or isnt. I'll see when yous finally get to 'Im over Shaun leaving us land' where me and so many will welcome yous. Dont worry, be happy!

Rich102

Staff member
How many times have you posted about it? Im obviously not as stressed out about as you. All Im posting is about is for others to get over it man. Obviously you cant and you don't realise that you cant, YET.

Ha Ha. Very good. You really do take yourself seriously!

Wasn't it more like if your work asked you to start performing in relation to your pay rate?
Eg Sale expected 1million, you only sold $750k.
We need you to hit the target, or we will have to drop your wage to reflect your performance.

Fair call on your scenario, no one is going to take a cut in that case.

Hard to put these things into context vs a normal job, let alone dealing with egos, media, short careers etc.

Latest posts