What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors play hardball with Shaun Johnson

jaseg

Juniors
I'm no big fan of Johnson but man people have gotten stupid about him. I doubt there's more than 8-10 guys at the club who have played more games than him, he was at the club over 10 years - and clearly the club didn't want him next year (and that's their right) because they managed him out (without having someone to replace him with) so it's not disloyal for him to seek a release in those circumstances.

It's absolutely disloyal, he was on contract.. that doesn't give him the right to the club wanting him beyond that deal.

But really, I just don't care. He was a really good player for us, I was disappointed that he left.. but I'm not really interested in schadenfreude just because I didn't like the way he left.

Matua

Bench
It's absolutely disloyal, he was on contract.. that doesn't give him the right to the club wanting him beyond that deal.

But really, I just don't care. He was a really good player for us, I was disappointed that he left.. but I'm not really interested in schadenfreude just because I didn't like the way he left.
It's not disloyal to ask out of a contract anymore than it's disloyal to to offer a long term player less money. The Warriors chose to allow him to leave, they could have enforced his contract. I find the glee that some people have over what might happen to SJ now that his Cronulla deal is in doubt to be completely baffling.

I swear this place seems like a front for the Warriors back office such is the speed that white knighters move in to defend any criticism of them. (General thought not targeted at this particular post.)

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
The way I see the contract situation is more akin to a retainer + commission than a salary. If you play well your commission goes up; badly and it goes down.
Anyway the value of the contract wasn't what SJ left about.
I think Brown has a lot of involvement too.

jaseg

Juniors
It's not disloyal to ask out of a contract anymore than it's disloyal to to offer a long term player less money. The Warriors chose to allow him to leave, they could have enforced his contract. I find the glee that some people have over what might happen to SJ now that his Cronulla deal is in doubt to be completely baffling.

I swear this place seems like a front for the Warriors back office such is the speed that white knighters move in to defend any criticism of them. (General thought not targeted at this particular post.)

Huh? Playing contracts are specifically limited term employment roles.

Asking to be released because you don't like that there isn't an offer for 2020 yet is definitely disloyal - they have no obligation to offer beyond the current contract. None. He DOES, however, have an obligation to fulfill the contract he signed.

Long term players don't have divine right to get the same/more money at each contract... this is a results based business. That's just silly.

I have NO place for "glee" RE the current SJ situation. None. I said as much RE schadenfreude. I like Johnson, I still do - that doesn't change what happened when he left, but on the flip side, the way he left doesn't really change me liking him either, beyond just not cheering for him via my team anymore.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
When asked about the 2016 premiership, Greenberg confirmed in today's presser that the Sharks were "under the salary cap in 2016 from Round 1 to the Grand Final.".

Now 2019 and Johnson's premiership.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, all that rubbish was media talk. Media always sell the absolute worst case scenario, as 99.999% unlikely as it always is, to get clicks/readers.

I'm not a Shaun hater (I used to be a sycophant) but I feel like he might overplay his hand this weekend, trying to prove something. Obviously there's been a lot of talk about his exit and a bit of turmoil at the Sharks, I can't see him just sitting back and trying to ease into the season

Blair

Coach
Yeah, all that rubbish was media talk. Media always sell the absolute worst case scenario, as 99.999% unlikely as it always is, to get clicks/readers.

I'm not a Shaun hater (I used to be a sycophant) but I feel like he might overplay his hand this weekend, trying to prove something. Obviously there's been a lot of talk about his exit and a bit of turmoil at the Sharks, I can't see him just sitting back and trying to ease into the season

What's all this about Johnson no longer at the Warriors?

No, I know. It was a stressful time following that story and it was best done and dusted before the new season. Re your comment above. I agree about him going a bit mental this weekend maybe. But, on balance, I wish he'd had that attitude when he was with us. I'd have preferred him to try and overplay things as opposed to him just sitting back and shovelling on. What a waste of talent.

For those that go to games I bet Fusitua will be the new 'selfie-king' now that SJ is in Woolooware. Personally, I won't miss that after games.

There's absolutely no doubt that we are missing Shaun Johnson.

If you don't believe me, ask David Fusitu'a

Hiku also hooked Fusitua up (8 of them to be precise) not just Princess. Speaking about Fus did you see how heartless and foolish he looks with his shitty defence? Nah lets just say SJ is missing and forget what actually needs addressing here. Fus wants to be a try scorer? Then he needs to pull finger and pick his game up big time. Everyone here in love with the Fus and he was responsible for shit efforts on defence lately. Kata actually put more effort in than that show pony Fus. Earn it I say or get replaced by someone who works hard for tries.

I said last year - a big part of why Fusitua was top try scorer last year, was because Shaun kept hooking him up.

Maybe so but Fus needs to evolve and improve a whole lot more than just wait for air balls to hopefully stick. He does not work hard at all despite his stats showing he can be a top metre runner. SJ is gone now so he should by all means be changing things up and not expect the same old. It's really quite concerning that some of you don't mention Fusitua's negatives in his game. He was totally lazy on effort and detail that a school grade league player will do better than him the past 2 weeks.

If you ever watch any of our 3 games so far (even the winning round 1) watch Fus off the ball. Fus is not positioned well or paying attention in most of our defensive sets. Not just the ones that lead to the opposition scoring.

Hiku hooked Fus up with 8 of his tries.

Meth

Staff member
Nah lets just say SJ is missing and forget what actually needs addressing here. Fus wants to be a try scorer? Then he needs to pull finger and pick his game up big time. Everyone here in love with the Fus and he was responsible for shit efforts on defence lately.

Seen a lot of criticism of Fus on here mate and fair enough

Our problems start a long time before the wing though

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
...It's really quite concerning that some of you don't mention Fusitua's negatives in his game. He was totally lazy on effort and detail that a school grade league player will do better than him the past 2 weeks...
I can't see Fus off the screen as I only see as far as the TV screen will allow. You must attend the games to see all that laziness.

vvvrulz

Coach
I can't see Fus off the screen as I only see as far as the TV screen will allow. You must attend the games to see all that laziness.

Fus has been guilty of this in the past. Unlike Kata he doesn’t have glaring flaws in his game and has shown he can chase and defend like a demon when he’s on.

It’s a head job, pure lack of motivation and pride. It’s almost like self preservation when the storm comes to deliberately float under the radar.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
on behalf of all sharks fans, thanks Coach Kearney, you potato head.

We love Shaun, he is awesome.

Ya knucklehead.