What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors play hardball with Shaun Johnson

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
He never earned the $1m he received this year and will get next year, yet you think they should be offering him the same (including a win bonus that will need to be part of his salary anyway). If a player wont win for their massive contract, why offer a bonus to win. Give him $500k with huge win bonusses. If he steps up for that, let him go, cos it wont last before he is after more money to do the same. Win bonusses dont work.

I think we have to consider a bit more though.
Do i think he earned a mill this year? Helllll no haha.
Warriors always pay overs to get big names here, so even someone like Norman would command around 800k imo. Id much rather have Johnson for an extra 2k if that was the case.
Add in the extra year it would take for everyone to work out the combinations and with it more than likely being Luke's last year, and I think it just wouldn't be worth the risk to save that extra 200k or so.
If we had an actual plan tho, and we were able to get someone reasonably priced and also a decent forward, id be more than keen.

I'd take Brooks on 800k however

¿N. ig-mah¿

Juniors
Pity he had no pride whatsoever when playing for us.
Im an unashamed Tomkins fan. There is a fair degree of under-utilisation in how he was used. In no way do i blame Johnson for the failings of our Tomkins era, but the link play with Sam was a lot like the bomb it to Manu move. Was worth the option, as percentages where high. But we stopped using that play, and i dont understand why. Bomb it to Manu seemed to die cos Shaun wanted to mix it up a bit more and show he had other plays (my opinion, not fact), and i wondered if that play dried up for the same reason.

¿N. ig-mah¿

Juniors
I think we have to consider a bit more though.
Do i think he earned a mill this year? Helllll no haha.
Warriors always pay overs to get big names here, so even someone like Norman would command around 800k imo. Id much rather have Johnson for an extra 2k if that was the case.
Add in the extra year it would take for everyone to work out the combinations and with it more than likely being Luke's last year, and I think it just wouldn't be worth the risk to save that extra 200k or so.
If we had an actual plan tho, and we were able to get someone reasonably priced and also a decent forward, id be more than keen.

I'd take Brooks on 800k however
My personal view is that Shaun needs to show the Warriors the support and loyalty they have showed him since U20s. We have stuck with him thru dreadful form, wobblies at the fans, and just lacklustre work at times. We should be worth a $200k discount on another team. If he is a $1m man elsewhere, id expect him to take $800k here.

TheDMC

Bench
fully. same thing happens in academia. i see my buddies are at senior lecutrer and they have less publications and bring in less grant income. better match it with me or i'll f**koff to an institute that will (OR, shirk on my teaching and admin duties -- basically Matulino that shit).

Maybe if your use of grammar and capitalisation was better you would make senior lecturer.

Sorry, simply couldn't resist.

JJ

Immortal
Im an unashamed Tomkins fan. There is a fair degree of under-utilisation in how he was used. In no way do i blame Johnson for the failings of our Tomkins era, but the link play with Sam was a lot like the bomb it to Manu move. Was worth the option, as percentages where high. But we stopped using that play, and i dont understand why. Bomb it to Manu seemed to die cos Shaun wanted to mix it up a bit more and show he had other plays (my opinion, not fact), and i wondered if that play dried up for the same reason.
I still don't know what to make of Tomkins at the Warriors - he was a huge disappointment, partly because of the huge reputation he came with - was hyped as Slater's rival as the best fullback around, and was really just replacement level - I think what you say above is part of it, injuries, the general shit culture at the Warriors, and probably missing home - living on the other side of the world isn't for everyone - although for that money I'd be keen!

Interesting that so many here seem to be accepting that it might be time to move on from Johnson - if so, I'd love a swap for Brooks - whether that's possible or not I don't know. If they are seriously chasing Norman because he has some vague Kiwi connection, I am appalled - he's just not the guy - on or off the field - while I am no Johnson fan boy - he has huge potential away from the primary playmaker role, and without question is a good character guy - which is important

¿N. ig-mah¿

Juniors
I still don't know what to make of Tomkins at the Warriors - he was a huge disappointment, partly because of the huge reputation he came with - was hyped as Slater's rival as the best fullback around, and was really just replacement level - I think what you say above is part of it, injuries, the general shit culture at the Warriors, and probably missing home - living on the other side of the world isn't for everyone - although for that money I'd be keen!

Interesting that so many here seem to be accepting that it might be time to move on from Johnson - if so, I'd love a swap for Brooks - whether that's possible or not I don't know. If they are seriously chasing Norman because he has some vague Kiwi connection, I am appalled - he's just not the guy - on or off the field - while I am no Johnson fan boy - he has huge potential away from the primary playmaker role, and without question is a good character guy - which is important
When do we realise that undelivered potential has no value? 8 seasons we have waited. We have had a handful of quality games a year in that time. He isnt a half, he isnt a centre, he isnt a fullback, and in the NRL the game is too tough to give up any position to fit a player in just for the possibility of a freak play once in a game. He seems to be a good face for the club, but i wouldnt rate the "character" side of him as ideal. He sulks, throws his toys when the fans demand more, and refuses media attention if he isnt happy. His ego is too high, yet too brittle. We need a strong character who takes responsibility for their own performances.

JJ

Immortal
When do we realise that undelivered potential has no value? 8 seasons we have waited. We have had a handful of quality games a year in that time. He isnt a half, he isnt a centre, he isnt a fullback, and in the NRL the game is too tough to give up any position to fit a player in just for the possibility of a freak play once in a game. He seems to be a good face for the club, but i wouldnt rate the "character" side of him as ideal. He sulks, throws his toys when the fans demand more, and refuses media attention if he isnt happy. His ego is too high, yet too brittle. We need a strong character who takes responsibility for their own performances.
Yeah, but Corey Norman, if he's the option seems to be a turd

Iron Lion

Juniors
Yeah, but Corey Norman, if he's the option seems to be a turd

One year ago Norman was ranked in the top 3 halves in the NRL on form.

Question is who is most likely to deliver on their potential in the warriors set up. Norman has many strings to his bow that Johnson does not. Most importantly he can kick and he always runs to the line and creates options.

The Warriors could be a superior club with Corey Norman running the backline.

JJ

Immortal
One year ago Norman was ranked in the top 3 halves in the NRL on form.

Question is who is most likely to deliver on their potential in the warriors set up. Norman has many strings to his bow that Johnson does not. Most importantly he can kick and he always runs to the line and creates options.

The Warriors could be a superior club with Corey Norman running the backline.
The after party will have more spark too

Campion

Juniors
i feel bad for shaun johnson. i feel he's getting a bad wrap on this forums. the guy has been part of a lamentable culture and a teddy bear forward pack, with a centre that can't even feed his winger!!. i don't think he's a JT, but i do think he's better than Brooks (and Norman is cryptonite as far as i reckon). i wouldn't pay more for him (would pay the same or ideally less), but he's streaks above anyone else we could get -- and i think he's worth it.

sup42

Juniors
Shaun Johnson's just a one trick pony, says former Olympic coach

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney has decided star halfback Shaun Johnson is surplus to needs – and it seems the majority of New Zealand fans agree.

A poll conducted by Kiwi website Stuff.co.nz has found a resounding 68 per cent of supporters back Kearney’s decision to allow the erratic No.7 to explore his options beyond 2019.

That stunning result comes off the back of a former top Olympic coach accusing Johnson of lacking toughness and heart.

Media commentator Mark Watson, an ex-professional sportsman who has trained Olympic-class athletes, was scathing in his assessment.

“Unfortunately for Shaun Johnson he does not fall into the category of a great but more into the category of a flawed genius,” Watson wrote on Stuff.

“While he is a brilliant stepper off both feet, he is regrettably a one trick pony. He is not a natural tactician and he is no more than a speed bump in defence.

“But the real missing ingredient in his game is he appears to lack heart and is not tough enough.”

It appears Kearney has tired of Johnson’s hot and cold performances and does not believe the 28-year-old can take the Warriors to the next level.

He has just one season to prove the coach wrong – that’s unless the Warriors are willing to offload him ahead of the 2019 campaign.

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...iors-2019-contract/1sjavuhrjsres1knwnfcmahc4s
I've listened a lot to this guy over the years....as an avid League fan, I spend a lot of time listening to radio sport to cherry pick League content...as such im well versed in the styles and pet hates of their show hosts.

Marks a ranter. Always has been. Its his trademark. I dont disagree with everything he says about League, but a lot of it is ill informed.

As has been noted by others his criticism of Johnsons defence is very off. Tackling is Johnsons best asset imo. Teams target him, we all know this, between him and Luke you saw a very hard hitting pairing this year, especially on the Try line. Johnson was off during the 1st two tests in England....but thats an anomally for him....in the third test you saw the usual Johnson...great reads...great one on one hitting.

One area I agree with Watson is that when it comes to training, Olympic athletes leave footballers for dead.

One of my kids was a Rep swimmer, pretty much from age eight or so they are training professionally.

Up at four thirty AM some days to eat protien and carbs, train two hours non stop...go to School, train two hours in the evening.

Train six days a week. Have camps on technical skills.

Can you imagine the type of League player you would develop if kids were training before and after school and on Olympic diets?

Watsons right about the mental toughness of Olympians, its as scientifically advanced as sport gets....you are talking one hundredth of a second between making it or not qualifying and literally millimeters.

Where Watson goes wrong is comparing toughness in competition proper. You cannot compare the pain of non contact sports like the endurance stuff he knows and collision sport and draw any firm conclusions, it is apples and Oranges. A bad hit in a game is worse than burning lungs and muscles....you cannot tap out of a concussion nor ease off the throttle.

One thing I dont mind about Watson is that he rarks you up...never killed anyone....he just gets too samey and flogs dead horses.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Thurston's come out and said how SJ could soar to new heights at a different club, like the Roosters.

It's something we've all thought and alot have talked about already, but that could be pretty big coming from someone like JT...
I wonder if SJ will take that on board or throw it away like he did with Freddys advice a few years ago

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
I think SJ will stay at home and just cruise.

If he takes a pay cut which means we can afford a better team, I'm happy for him to cruise in and out of games and do his thing.

We need either a big prop and/or a good half to help direct the team around the park (once Green is gone).