What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors play hardball with Shaun Johnson

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Some of the stuff coming out in the media about SJ is absolute shit. Tall poppy syndrome at its highest with people just lining up to put the boot in, yeah the bloke was given permission to look around (a sound negotiation tactic), buts its not a free pass to come out and just shit on his skills and character. Starting to get ridiculous IMO

Oh and Watson is a flog

Scott

Bench
I would have no problem with SJ moving to another club. Ideally he would stay at the Warriors (for less $$ from 2020 onwards) but goodluck to him should he decide a change is what is needed.

However, if he was to sign with Canberra, that would actually be f**ken stupid. I'm not sure why he would want to be coached By Ricky Stuart. He has proven over the last 16 years that he has no idea when it comes to coaching halves. It would be a massive mistake to go there imo.

JJ

Immortal
Ata must be fuming :rofl: poor bloke.

In reality, I think it comes down to what SJ wants to do. No doubt we will offer him a decent contract and I'm more than happy for him to stay here, but will he go for the bigger money else where? I can't see his chances of winning a premiership going up in Canberra...

I think we need to stop looking at him and saying 'but he's not as good JT or Cronk'. They're 2 of the best halves in the last 20 years... unfortunately SJ is not in the category, but more in the category below.
Yeah poor Ata

And I haven't followed closely, but hasn't Canberra lost most of the huge pack now? SJ would have been good behind that

Iafeta

Referee
Some of the stuff coming out in the media about SJ is absolute shit. Tall poppy syndrome at its highest with people just lining up to put the boot in, yeah the bloke was given permission to look around (a sound negotiation tactic), buts its not a free pass to come out and just shit on his skills and character. Starting to get ridiculous IMO

Oh and Watson is a flog

Up until this season, the Warriors record without Shaun was diabolical. Iirc they hadn’t won without him for 3 years.

It seems listening to Cameron George on Radiosport that David Skipworth either has had a separate conversation with Cameron on Shaun, or grossly exaggerated a near nothing quote from Cameron and sensationalised an article to the detriment of the club. Perhaps Cameron though should offer a firm no comment like “we don’t discuss negotiations in the media” to mitigate the risk, because I don’t think it’d be a good move to kick Shaun out of the club. Frankly I don’t think CG really thinks that either.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Up until this season, the Warriors record without Shaun was diabolical. Iirc they hadn’t won without him for 3 years.

It seems listening to Cameron George on Radiosport that David Skipworth either has had a separate conversation with Cameron on Shaun, or grossly exaggerated a near nothing quote from Cameron and sensationalised an article to the detriment of the club. Perhaps Cameron though should offer a firm no comment like “we don’t discuss negotiations in the media” to mitigate the risk, because I don’t think it’d be a good move to kick Shaun out of the club. Frankly I don’t think CG really thinks that either.

Yep this all does smell a fair bit of a story being blown out of proportion. That twat Watson certainly isn’t helping.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Didn't this happen to Luke? He was allowed to look elsewhere but then extended on a smaller contract?

Rich102

Staff member
Yep. Good idea. Should work well provided someone doesn't want to pay a ridiculous amount for him. Then we see if the club sticks to its guns. (Or I guess maybe it could result in some kind of player swap)
It would all be a bit more above board if each club had to publish the player's salaries - I can't see why they can't do this. Better for the NRL too - easier to police.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Didn't this happen to Luke? He was allowed to look elsewhere but then extended on a smaller contract?

Similar but not quite the same I think

Luke didn’t have a contract for next season, Johnson does but is off context at the end of the season, instead of extending him prior to the other clubs being allowed to talk to him on Nov 1 they’ve decided to let him go to the open market and see what’s there

The other difference will end up being that the other clubs weren’t really interested in Luke, Shaun will attract plenty of interest i’m sure

Rich102

Staff member
This got me thinking.
Why aren't the players contracted to the NRL instead of the clubs?
Then the NRL can pay all the players on the club's instructions.
So no player payments come from the club accounts and the NRL know how much is being paid to players.
Would very easily stop the cap rorting.

This got me thinking.
Why aren't the players contracted to the NRL instead of the clubs?
Then the NRL can pay all the players on the club's instructions.
So no player payments come from the club accounts and the NRL know how much is being paid to players.
Would very easily stop the cap rorting.
Sounds like a good idea.
So at a guess, players union against it.
AUS/NZ exchange rate fluctuation.
Contracts are with the clubs then registered to NRL.
They would talk about clubs autonomy.
Probably plenty of excuses.

Similar but not quite the same I think

Luke didn’t have a contract for next season, Johnson does but is off context at the end of the season, instead of extending him prior to the other clubs being allowed to talk to him on Nov 1 they’ve decided to let him go to the open market and see what’s there

The other difference will end up being that the other clubs weren’t really interested in Luke, Shaun will attract plenty of interest i’m sure

Luke was also carrying an injury that needed surgery and rehab.

Not many doubt Shauns talent, its just not worth trying a whole lot of the cap space up with.
We need a decent 3rd party agreement to keep him and lower cap value.

No doubt some club is going to be silly enough to off him a large contract.

Id love to know the backup plan?

Is plan B in this list?

KEY OFF CONTRACT NRL STARS

Luke Brooks (Wests Tigers), Chris Lawrence (Wests Tigers), Mitch Aubusson (Sydney Roosters), Dylan Napa (Sydney Roosters), Zane Tetevano (Sydney Roosters), Matt Dufty (Dragons), James Graham (Dragons), Kurt Mann (Dragons), Tariq Sims (Dragons), George Burgess (Souths), Tom Burgess (Souths), Damien Cook (Souths), Bevan French (Parramatta), Clint Gutherson (Parramatta), Mitch Moses (Parramatta), Corey Norman (Parramatta), Coen Hess (Cowboys), Shaun Johnson (Warriors), Issac Luke (Warriors), Dylan Walker (Manly), Wade Graham (Sharks), Val Holmes (Sharks), Michael Lichaa (Bulldogs), Luke Bateman (Canberra), Jordan Rapana (Canberra), Alex Glenn (Broncos).

canberra-raiders-linked-with-a-move-to-signing-unwanted-warriors-half-shaun-johson-report/news-story/c9d7022d9627ecaf2ea2dfb766f32779

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Hard to definitively say based on the quotes from Nikorima this week but what he did say, it seemed like SJ might be stewing on what's come out in the media this week.

I can't help but shake this irksome feeling this whole circus might follow us the whole of 2019 and be a distraction that in no way helps us.

¿N. ig-mah¿

Juniors
I see on Trade Me that the Warriors Mt Smart store are now selling SJ brand clothing and hats. Thats very new. I doubt they would begin to merchandise his clothing brand right when he is being moved out.

My gut feeling is that his contract is nearly signed, with only final dollars to be determined. Im thinking he is looking for more on the back of making the finals. I bet this is just a test of his value to determine whether we pay him top dollar as he wants or they are trying to prove his value is lower on the open market and he has agreed if that eventuates, then he takes the lower deal.

Leber

Bench
Will be very disappointed if we do end up letting him go. We are finally getting to a place where he has the forward pack behind him to be more consistent.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I see on Trade Me that the Warriors Mt Smart store are now selling SJ brand clothing and hats. Thats very new. I doubt they would begin to merchandise his clothing brand right when he is being moved out.

My gut feeling is that his contract is nearly signed, with only final dollars to be determined. Im thinking he is looking for more on the back of making the finals. I bet this is just a test of his value to determine whether we pay him top dollar as he wants or they are trying to prove his value is lower on the open market and he has agreed if that eventuates, then he takes the lower deal.

I don't think exact monetary value is of any relevance to Shaun and the Warriors now. We'll offer him what we think is just for a guy who isn't an elite NRL halfback (I like him but he's not) and that won't be $1m a season. If he wants to go, that's his call. Someone will definitely pay him what he wants. If he values winning a premiership here he'll stay. I can't see us giving a shit what anyone else feels he's worth, that's not relevant to us after 8 seasons and a lot of inconsistency.

I find it silly when the media talk about 'oh if we don't re-sign x/y/z they'll go and carve up elsewhere. It's so irrelevant. The only consideration is what he does for our side, at the cost he comes at.

Latest posts