What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors play hardball with Shaun Johnson

¿N. ig-mah¿

Juniors
His stocks haven't really risen from this England series.
I expect this would be a consideration for the club and for potential offers. They will all be watching for signs that he can be a clutch play player again, or that he can lead the team around the park. The first game was looking fairly good for him with his nice inside pass, and holding the player up over the line, but he showed no halves skills and looked terrible when asked to step up in the last minute. In fact, his last play was embarrassing and the type of play you would expect from a washed out has-been.

I havent seen the last game, but saw a brief article about the result. Its never ideal to not see you halfbacks name in the highlight stories.

Im not convinced the offers will flow in like many think. And i think the club have him over a barrel in some ways, with his fiances career under threat from a move across the ditch. Also, his clothing brand may not survive being run from a distance.

Hawkins

Juniors
I would have no problem with SJ moving to another club. Ideally he would stay at the Warriors (for less $$ from 2020 onwards) but goodluck to him should he decide a change is what is needed.

However, if he was to sign with Canberra, that would actually be f**ken stupid. I'm not sure why he would want to be coached By Ricky Stuart. He has proven over the last 16 years that he has no idea when it comes to coaching halves. It would be a massive mistake to go there imo.

Canberra would suit him fine, we are an attacking club and don't worry about Defense. And who the hell is Simon Mannering?

¿N. ig-mah¿

Juniors
Canberra would suit him fine, we are an attacking club and don't worry about Defense. And who the hell is Simon Mannering?
I think the clubs are more aware of Johnsons short-comings than their fans. Most fans of other clubs hear the hype and see him once or twice a year, which is how often he actually pulls of a dominant halves game. Canberra will be kicking themselves b4 year 1 is over.

For mine, when his career is done, Shaun will be forever remembered as the biggest undelivered potential in the history of the game

Diesel

Referee
The likely senerio is we get Johnson one a lesser contract than now. Is he still our first choice HB, or does he fit another role in the team and who would a replacement be?

SJ to FB, RTS to the halves might work during a transitional year with Green and a young number 7

¿N. ig-mah¿

Juniors
The likely senerio is we get Johnson one a lesser contract than now. Is he still our first choice HB, or does he fit another role in the team and who would a replacement be?

SJ to FB, RTS to the halves might work during a transitional year with Green and a young number 7
I couldnt see SJ at FB. Johnson kick returns would be woeful. He wouldnt take the kick return contacts

Diesel

Referee
I couldnt see SJ at FB. Johnson kick returns would be woeful. He wouldnt take the kick return contacts
The team obviously is not being built around the current number seven. If there was another option let ssy they would’ve gone full on to replace SJ

¿N. ig-mah¿

Juniors
The team obviously is not being built around the current number seven. If there was another option let ssy they would’ve gone full on to replace SJ
Im not saying i want him gone. We shouldnt rush into replacing him if we have no other option. We just need him to understand he is not a $1m player for us. If he wants to be in our team, he needs to accept $650k or so. Thats the most we can pay him without the rest of the team suffering. Id actually prefer he was on $500k.

Im not saying i want him gone. We shouldnt rush into replacing him if we have no other option. We just need him to understand he is not a $1m player for us. If he wants to be in our team, he needs to accept $650k or so. Thats the most we can pay him without the rest of the team suffering. Id actually prefer he was on $500k.

The ultimate problem is similar to what we see with CEOs.
Once one is over paid, anyone in a similar position can point and demand a similar pay.

Another problem is when we are paying players like Adam Blair big coin offering even less than SJ.

Campion

Juniors
fully. same thing happens in academia. i see my buddies are at senior lecutrer and they have less publications and bring in less grant income. better match it with me or i'll f**koff to an institute that will (OR, shirk on my teaching and admin duties -- basically Matulino that shit).

Rich102

Staff member
Forget the money. The Warriors will not win a grand final with SJ in the halves. The club should move on.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors

Jeeze mate that's rough...potentially there may be a slight reduction in what we pay him but no one is going to do a job for almost 50% less than what they're receiving now.
I can't see him signing for any less than 900k to be honest, and even then there would probably be some kind of win bonus in there.

I'd be happy with some kind of win bonus topping him up 100/150k.

I'd be really gutted if we lost SJ and then signed the next best on offer for similar coin to what we'd be paying him

¿N. ig-mah¿

Juniors
Jeeze mate that's rough...potentially there may be a slight reduction in what we pay him but no one is going to do a job for almost 50% less than what they're receiving now.
I can't see him signing for any less than 900k to be honest, and even then there would probably be some kind of win bonus in there.

I'd be happy with some kind of win bonus topping him up 100/150k.

I'd be really gutted if we lost SJ and then signed the next best on offer for similar coin to what we'd be paying him
He never earned the $1m he received this year and will get next year, yet you think they should be offering him the same (including a win bonus that will need to be part of his salary anyway). If a player wont win for their massive contract, why offer a bonus to win. Give him $500k with huge win bonusses. If he steps up for that, let him go, cos it wont last before he is after more money to do the same. Win bonusses dont work.

Rich102

Staff member
A player either plays for pride or money. You can increase the money but you can't increase the pride. It's either there or it's not.

How many late shots did Tompkins cop on Sunday? Yet he still came back. That's pride.

spear tackle

Juniors
I was told on another forum by a poster a few days back that he had "reliable advice" that we had Cory Norman, locked , loaded and paid for in 2019. They couldn't provide a scorce though. My guess it was the man in the pub, hahaha

Matua

Bench
A player either plays for pride or money. You can increase the money but you can't increase the pride. It's either there or it's not.

How many late shots did Tompkins cop on Sunday? Yet he still came back. That's pride.
Pity he had no pride whatsoever when playing for us.

Latest posts