What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors press conference today 24/11

Juju

Juniors
Surely announcing RD 1 VS the Eels will be at Eden Park.
mixed feelings on this.
As recently as Nov 11th reception staff at Penrose were denying this was even a possibilty...

JoeD

First Grade
How can it be permanent, they've already sold the season tickets. Plus as a season ticket holder do i get a refund now for the game I'm going to miss?

Juju

Juniors
heres the PR, not permanent thank god.

VODAFONE WARRIORS TO OPEN 2011 NRL SEASON AT EDEN PARK

Vodafone Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah today announced the club will break new ground by opening its 2011 National Rugby League campaign against glamour Sydney side Parramatta at Eden Park in Auckland on the weekend of March 11-14.
Scurrah said the first-ever NRL game at the country's biggest stadium – the main base for Rugby World Cup 2011 – represented a landmark achievement for the NRL, the Vodafone Warriors and the new Auckland Super City.
Eden Park CEO David Kennedy is excited about the opportunity the Vodafone Warriors-Parramatta clash provides to continue to expand use of the newly redeveloped stadium beyond its rugby and cricket roots.
"We are confident that Eden Park can provide an enjoyable environment for the Vodafone Warriors' fans as we look forward to welcoming the Warriors for the first time," he said.
"We hope it is just the beginning of an ongoing relationship with the NRL."
The Vodafone Warriors' 2010 NYC premiership-winning side will take on the Eels in the curtain-raiser at 5.15pm while the Ivan Cleary-coached Vodafone Warriors, NRL finalists this year, will meet an Eels side now coached by Stephen Kearney (7.30pm kick-off). Kearney has just guided the Kiwis to Four Nations glory against the Kangaroos after also leading them to victory in the 2008 Rugby League World Cup final.
"We're absolutely thrilled to have the chance to take our NRL and NYC sides to a big stadium like Eden Park with a capacity for a crowd of 50,000," said Scurrah.
"With all the work that has gone into it for Rugby World Cup 2011, Eden Park is now clearly New Zealand's premier venue.
"We've been working hard with all parties concerned to confirm what will be a huge day for the Vodafone Warriors, the NRL and the region and, over the next few weeks, we will be announcing some very exciting initiatives about the game.
"Rugby league in New Zealand is enjoying exceptional success right now. The Vodafone Warriors have come off one of the most successful seasons in the club's history, winning the NYC premiership, making the NRL finals and winning the NRL's overall Club Championship for the first time. As well as that, we've just seen the Kiwis win the Four Nations after also taking the World Cup off Australia two years ago and also drawing a crowd of almost 45,000 at Eden Park recently."
It will be the first time since entering the Australian competition that the club has played an official home game away from its base at Mount Smart Stadium. Since 1995, the Vodafone Warriors have played a total of 189 regular season games and three finals matches at Mount Smart Stadium (or Ericsson Stadium as it was previously known).
"While we are not playing this round at Mount Smart Stadium, our valued Vodafone Warriors corporate and public members will be guaranteed facilities and seats at Eden Park of at least similar quality to the ones they have at Mount Smart and their attendance for the Eden Park match is included in their membership fees," said Scurrah.
"Our remaining 11 home games in the regular season will all be at Mount Smart but this venture is exciting for everyone involved with the club. Many of us were at Eden Park for the Kiwis' match against the Kangaroos and were very impressed with the facilities.
"We remain very committed to retaining Mt Smart Stadium as our home venue but see the Eden Park season opener as a fantastic way to give our members a unique and historic experience; and to also attract new fans to Vodafone Warriors matches.
"We need increased attendances at our home matches and I hope fans not only support the Eden Park game but others that follow at Mount Smart Stadium, where one of the most exciting draws ever awaits. This starts with the match against NRL 2010 premiers St George Illawarra in round three followed by the match against beaten grand finalists the Sydney Roosters in round five."
NRL CEO David Gallop also strongly supports the initiative to take the Vodafone Warriors' NRL and NYC matches to Eden Park.
"The Warriors are to be congratulated for looking for opportunities to both increase overall attendances and to give their members access to the best possible facilities," he said.
"The presence of more than 44,000 fans at the Four Nations doubleheader showed that Eden Park is a world-class sporting venue and the Warriors taking their opening game of the 2011 season there can only enhance the club's profile and make people more aware of the opportunities the stadium presents.
"We will work closely with the Warriors and the City of Auckland to help make it a spectacular start to the 2011 season."
Vodafone Warriors coach Ivan Cleary said he relished the chance to start the 2011 campaign at Eden Park.
"The boys love playing at Mount Smart Stadium but it is always exciting playing in front of a big crowd at a venue as big as Eden Park. It's a really impressive stadium, up with the best and with tremendous facilities for the players," he said.
"It was a real cauldron for the Four Nations match the other day and, with support from our members and all sports fans in Auckland and elsewhere in the country, there should be a great atmosphere again when we play there against the Eels. We're looking forward to it."
The match-up with the Eels will bring together many of the NRL's biggest stars as well as giving new coach Kearney his debut in charge of an NRL side. His squad includes Jarryd Hayne, Timana Tahu, Nathan Hindmarsh, Fuifui Moimoi and Luke Burt while those in contention to play for the Vodafone Warriors will include former Eels players Feleti Mateo and Krisnan Inu, fellow new signing Steve Rapira and the club's five members of the Kiwis' Four Nations title-winning squad Manu Vatuvei, Lance Hohaia, Simon Mannering, Ben Matulino and Lewis Brown.

http://www.voxy.co.nz/sport/vodafone-warriors-open-2011-nrl-season-eden-park/5/73255

Last edited by a moderator:

JAG

Juniors
f**king stupid. f**k it.

^ This.

I'm mildly curious about the season car parking pass for which the Club gladly snatched my hard earned cash. As it's impossible to park a car within 50 miles of Eden Park, am I going to be refunded anything?

No. Thought not. :x

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
i hope it's a colossal failure. i don't plan on going (yet...) and haven't purchased a membership (yet...).

BuffaloRules

Coach
Being in Sydney, can someone explain to me what the problem is?

1 game cant hurt that much can it?

As an added bonus, it seems to piss off the Union types as well that refer to Eden Park as "their" ground...( funnily enough I thought it was publicly owned...)

LeagueNut

First Grade
Being in Sydney, can someone explain to me what the problem is?

1 game cant hurt that much can it?
I think there are pros and cons...

Pros:
- the stadium actually looks pretty good, and fans are still pretty close to the action (not as close as Mt Smart, but I think we're a bit spoilt there)
- public transport to and from the ground seems to be OK
- there is certainly the potential to market the game to a wider audience

Cons:
- a Saturday night game might bring out all the boofheads again
- aside from public transport, there's bugger all options for getting to the game unless you park about 10kms away
- simply because it's another League game at Eden Park, there's going to be so much focus and media hoo-ha given what happened last time
- it's not home :(

devoid

Juniors
I think there are pros and cons...

Pros:
- the stadium actually looks pretty good, and fans are still pretty close to the action (not as close as Mt Smart, but I think we're a bit spoilt there)
- public transport to and from the ground seems to be OK
- there is certainly the potential to market the game to a wider audience

Cons:
- a Saturday night game might bring out all the boofheads again
- aside from public transport, there's bugger all options for getting to the game unless you park about 10kms away
- simply because it's another League game at Eden Park, there's going to be so much focus and media hoo-ha given what happened last time
- it's not home :(

This is the biggest sticking point for me personally; I love Mt. Smart, it just feels right. This is closely followed by the first point in the "pros" but in the negative. I thought I had pretty good good seat for the Four Nations game, but it had nothing on my seat at Mt. Smart. How did everyone feel leading in to 95 when Penrose was chosen over Carlaw?

JoeD

First Grade
Yeah thats my biggest issue. I have the best seats in the house at Mt Smart. I seriously doubt they will be as good at Eden Park.
I can park for $5 literally a 7 minute walk to my seat, not the gate, my seat.
I can get a drink or chips at half time and be back in time to see the 2nd half kick off!!. In the past few times i've been to eden park i have not even tried to buy anything, even during the game, let alone at half time.

tkr

Juniors
Just reconfirmed and paid for season tickets again last week and then this crap! Eden Park is much closer to my house but Mt Smart is where I go to see the Warriors play. This is a stupid move. I bet the seats will not be as good as at Mt Smart and we will have to park miles away.

I wonder if Mr Scurrah actually cares what the season ticket holders think? I wonder what kind of reception we would get if we amassed at head office and handed over our season passes at the same time?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Is it convenient to get public transport to Mt Smart?

Seems like everybody drives there, and doesnt want to catch transport to Eden Park...

Dont any of you have a few ales before/during/after the game?

LeagueNut

First Grade
Is it convenient to get public transport to Mt Smart?

Seems like everybody drives there, and doesnt want to catch transport to Eden Park...

Dont any of you have a few ales before/during/after the game?
There's a train station about 10-15 minutes walk away from Mt Smart, but I've never caught the train there myself so I don't know how reliable the service is.

Mt Smart Stadium is smack bang in the middle of a big industrial zone, there's not really a hell of a lot nearby for pre or post-match gatherings (unless you count McDonalds).

Personally I find it easier to drive, especially with the kids in tow.

Meth

Staff member
I think its a good idea

The Test at Eden Park was a success.

If people who wouldn't ordinarily travel to Mt Smart to see the Warriors will venture to Eden Park, isn't it worth playing a game there to potentially broaden the fan base?